Rookie Auction

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Rookie Auction

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Here's a concept that I've been mulling over for a few months now. Rookie auctions.

I find that rookie drafts are way too predictable, especially if they occur after the NFL Draft. One solution would be to award rookie auction funds to teams, rather than rookie picks. The funds would have to be allocated on a sliding scale, from worst to first. I'm struggling to determine what the right amount would be. But if you'd hit the sweet spot, it would make for a really great auction.

Assuming a 12 team league: 22 (worst team) / 20 / 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 / 3 / 2 (champ)

Not sure how that would pan out...

whaley88
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Rookie Auction

Postby whaley88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:16 pm

This is exactly how my league runs our rookie and devy drafts. I'll get with the commish and pass off our sliding scale.

Edit. We actually place money value on the draft picks that way when you trade picks yu are trading a set amount of money based off of the original owners placing.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Pretty awesome idea. However, it defeats the purpose of giving the worst team the best player.

For example, if I was the worst team all year and I had X funds, there's a possibility that a playoff team traded his way into 3 firsts, and by simple addition, now has more funds than I do, and can take the best player unless I make more trades.

Of course there are ways around this, I get it. It's about your philosophy as a league player. Do you believe that the worst team should get the 1.01, or do you think that person should still have to earn it? I dunno.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:37 pm

btw, you're about to hit post 1,000. A special moment.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:44 pm

If you buy into the chart MEuRaH created, you could assign draft points in a similar way where people get 1st round points, 2nd round points, 3rd round points and 4th round points all added together rather than picks. You could even weight the points in certain ways depending how you want to distribute them. If two teams are tied for last record wise, split up the 1.01 and 1.02 points in a logical way based on tiebreakers rather than give all the 1st pick points to one team and all the 2nd pick points to the other team.

In-season trading could get tricky-ish if you trade more points than you actually end up with at the end of the year, so you might have to put a cap to prevent it or some sort of (harsh) penalty to punish it.

If none of this makes sense, I can try to clarify it further as this was a bit rambly.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:22 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm Pretty awesome idea. However, it defeats the purpose of giving the worst team the best player.

For example, if I was the worst team all year and I had X funds, there's a possibility that a playoff team traded his way into 3 firsts, and by simple addition, now has more funds than I do, and can take the best player unless I make more trades.

Of course there are ways around this, I get it. It's about your philosophy as a league player. Do you believe that the worst team should get the 1.01, or do you think that person should still have to earn it? I dunno.
Yup, my 1,000 is quoting you.

:lol:

I actually did not think at all about trading of rookie funds. But you are right, if that's allowed, then it can cause a lot of problems... Trading future picks is one of the best parts of dynasty football. So prohibiting that sort of activity really doesn't sit well with me, but it's probably the only way to prevent a bad team from getting pushed down the order due to no fault of their own.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:34 pm

We are trying to implement this in a new salary cap auction league startup this year and are struggling hard with the rookie money scaling
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 am

Ryan McDowell has been doing this for a few years in some of his leagues and seems to have a well tested out system in place. I'd get a hold of him If you're looking for help with rookie auctions. Here's his twitter: https://twitter.com/RyanMc23

BradysBunch
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby BradysBunch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 am

When I first saw this title, I thought what a great idea! Then reading and thinking how I have 5 first rounders next year. If there is a team with the worst record and he can't get the first pick, I don't think that would be right. The whole point in my view (currently) is that the bad teams should get better through the draft...Kind of like the NFL 🤔
9(yes 9) team / 28 man rosters
15/17/19/21 Champ
SF/PPR
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/flex/SF
Mahomes/TLAW/Fields
N. Harris/J. Williams/Gibbs/CEH/A. Jones/Hubbard/Haskins/Ingram
Kupp/Jefferson/Chase/Lamb/Hopkins/MT/Watson/Dotson/
Kelce/Hurst

srlarson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby srlarson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:38 am

We did this a couple years, rookie auction,......we gave all teams $100 except the Champ you got $80...we did not allow trading to this money. It was ok when we were able to get together for the draft, we tried once remote....and have not gone to Traditional rookie drafts, that can be staggered and not have to find a time where everyone is able to get together. we give 24 hrs per pick...
Empire 10 team 30man rosters QB, 2rb, 3Wr, TE, 2F, K (.5ppr RB's, ppr WR/TE)
redraft coming

Empire 12 team SF 30man rosters - QB, 2rb, 2wr, te, sf, Rb/Wr/Te flex, 2Rb/Wr Flex
(rb .5ppr, wr 1ppr, TE 1.5ppr) -
QB - Prescott, Cousins, M Jones, C. Rush
RB - JT, Chubb, J Cook, Hunt, Penny, Patterson, Foreman, Davis-Price, Henderson, Patterson
WR - Diggs, M Thomas, Gallup, K Phillips, Goodwin, Hollins, C Moore, raymond, reynolds, D robinson, J Watson
TE - Ertz, Brate, McBride, Akins, Gray

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:52 am

I like the concept and for a couple reasons
1) its a new concept for me . I was in a league a few years ago that was going to do that but the league puked after year 1
2) it would be much harder to tank with a guarantee of getting the 1:1 , thus perhaps keeping more teams engaged throughout the season.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:58 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:22 pm
MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm Pretty awesome idea. However, it defeats the purpose of giving the worst team the best player.

Yup, my 1,000 is quoting you.

:lol:

I actually did not think at all about trading of rookie funds. But you are right, if that's allowed, then it can cause a lot of problems... Trading future picks is one of the best parts of dynasty football. So prohibiting that sort of activity really doesn't sit well with me, but it's probably the only way to prevent a bad team from getting pushed down the order due to no fault of their own.
The point of trading future picks is a great one perhaps a points bank where by all say 2018 or 2019 picks are assigned a par dollar value and then $ is added or deducted as the picks are earned , could be an accounting nightmare but would add some serious flavor when the bill comes due or dividend is paid depending or appreciation or depreciation of the future asset.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci