Dynasty Auction/Salary Cap League Resources

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bay City Original
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Dynasty Auction/Salary Cap League Resources

Postby Bay City Original » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Finding resources/strategies/discussions for Auction/Salary Cap leagues has been a challenge. Can anyone recommend particular sites or podcasts that may led itself to focusing on these types of leagues?

I listened to the two DLF podcasts (#201 and #237) and am also wondering what other episodes of different podcasts you might know that could be helpful.

Thanks!
Team 1 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF 2022 Champ
QB: Allen, Purdy, Love
RB: Mixon, AJones, Swift, Dillon, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, AJB, DJM, NCollins, Sutton, NCollins, Mingo
TE: Hockenson

Team 2 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF - 2023 Champ
QB: Murray, Love
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Walker, Dobbins, KMitchell, EMitchell
WR: DSmith, Addison, Kupp DJM, Dionte, Chark
TE: Engram, Mayer, Waller
1.02, 1.09, 2.09, 2.12

Team 3-12 Team, SF, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTFS - 2023 Champ
QB: Purdy, Dak Stafford
RB: Taylor, Henry, Conner Najee, Warren, EMitchell
WR: Samuel, DJM, Cooper Sutton, Bateman, Pierce
TE: Kittle
1.02, 1.12, 2.02, 2.12

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Dynasty Auction/Salary Cap League Resources

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 am

Do you mean as an owner? Two basic strategies: Stars & Scrubs vs Balanced

I've had much more success with the stars & scrubs approach, but the problem is that you lack depth. So last year when AJG went down, I didn't win a single game after that. Your points will range from really high to really low. If you can keep the team together for the playoffs....... look out!

Balanced has more depth, but you won't have many really high games. IR is easier to cover, bye weeks are easier to cover, but you won't have any true studs on your team that will give you an edge.

If you're looking for podcasts on this, good luck. I researched this and found articles to be much a better use of my time and effort. I even found a website I could use to practice bidding on players. I don't remember the site.

One thing I would recommend is to not pay for hype. Cooks, for example, is all hype atm. He did great in New Orleans, but he might serve a different purpose in NE, and if you pay a fortune for him and you're wrong, you must live with that mistake for several years. Instead, I'd pay for someone else of equal value who has proved himself in his current situation and you know for a fact what you're getting, like TY Hilton. I bought hype my first year and paid dearly. Took me 3 years to fully recover from the mistakes because of penalties.

Sorry I couldn't provide a concrete source.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 am

Scrubs/studs vs. balanced is NOT the two basic strategies: you're missing a key one -- value.

Have your pre-auction valuation of players. Any time that a player's max bid is more than 10% below your value of him, bid. Once he gets to 90% of your value, stop bidding. You'll end up with a team worth around 120% of the value that you think it has.

If the name of dynasty is value, then you'll by far have the best team in the league.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:01 am

One other option, not for the faint-of-heart: don't prep.

I mean it. Don't prepare a pre-auction value chart for all the players. Know who you like, of course, and consider a potential value range. But, don't give specific dollar amounts to anyone! If an early stud is going for cheap, go after him. Otherwise, you'll see the market develop and, by NOT having prepped, you'll be open to adjusting to it. People who [over-]prep have a hard time deviating from their personal player values. By not being attached to any dollar amount for a player, you'll be able to play the market dispassionately. I wouldn't recommend this for owners new to auctions, though. But, this is the only way that I auction now.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am

One final tip: start your auction prep at the BACK-end. Who are the players that will go for $1 or $2 that you really like? From there, you can figure out at which positions you can round out your roster cheaply and at which positions you'll need to spend more up-and-down your roster.

All that being said, I, too, haven't found any good sources/resources, either. Sorry!!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:58 am

moishetreats wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 am Scrubs/studs vs. balanced is NOT the two basic strategies: you're missing a key one -- value.

Have your pre-auction valuation of players. Any time that a player's max bid is more than 10% below your value of him, bid. Once he gets to 90% of your value, stop bidding. You'll end up with a team worth around 120% of the value that you think it has.
I don't see value as a strategy as much as I see it as a way to acquire players. A team is either going to be made up of as many studs as one can acquire or not. You can still acquire several studs at great value like you proposed.

If you're setting value across the board, then that's the balanced approach.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:59 am

moishetreats wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am One final tip: start your auction prep at the BACK-end. Who are the players that will go for $1 or $2 that you really like? From there, you can figure out at which positions you can round out your roster cheaply and at which positions you'll need to spend more up-and-down your roster.
This. Love this. I got Diggs nearly free when I did this and because I knew it could happen, I was able to freely spend more funds on RBs.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Think one of the appeal of SC leagues is that there's fewer resources and online discussion about them.

One idea that I have in mind is making rookie drafts auction-based. Rookie drafts are way too predictable, especially if they occur after the NFL Draft. So why not make it an auction? Worst team gets more money than the 2nd worst team, and so on. Not sure what the quantum would be. Would have to find the right figures throughout the league. But would be a lot of fun.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:58 am
moishetreats wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 am Scrubs/studs vs. balanced is NOT the two basic strategies: you're missing a key one -- value.

I don't see value as a strategy as much as I see it as a way to acquire players. A team is either going to be made up of as many studs as one can acquire or not. You can still acquire several studs at great value like you proposed.

Good points. Let me re-phrase.

One can enter the auction with one of two mindsets: (1) Identify the players that you really want, go and get them, and then fill in the other parts based on your remaining funds. (2) Give a value to every player, and ONLY bid on a player when his bid is 90% or lower than the value that you assign. In that second approach, you have no specific player(s) that you are targeting. Rather, you are winning on all the players that the league undervalues.

You could end up with a number of studs if they go below what you consider to be market value; you could end up with seven WR2s. No way to know. But, you DO know that your team will be more valuable by your metric than any other team -- and likely by 20% or more.

That would be a unique strategy different from scrubs/studs or balanced. The end result of your team might be one of those two, but the mindset is very different.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR

Bay City Original
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Bay City Original » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm

What are your thoughts about the % of your budget to spend on an individual player?
Team 1 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF 2022 Champ
QB: Allen, Purdy, Love
RB: Mixon, AJones, Swift, Dillon, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, AJB, DJM, NCollins, Sutton, NCollins, Mingo
TE: Hockenson

Team 2 -12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTF - 2023 Champ
QB: Murray, Love
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Walker, Dobbins, KMitchell, EMitchell
WR: DSmith, Addison, Kupp DJM, Dionte, Chark
TE: Engram, Mayer, Waller
1.02, 1.09, 2.09, 2.12

Team 3-12 Team, SF, 0.5 PPR, QRRWWWTFS - 2023 Champ
QB: Purdy, Dak Stafford
RB: Taylor, Henry, Conner Najee, Warren, EMitchell
WR: Samuel, DJM, Cooper Sutton, Bateman, Pierce
TE: Kittle
1.02, 1.12, 2.02, 2.12

CurtisMyFavMartin
Starter
Starter

Postby CurtisMyFavMartin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:06 am

I think what Moishetreats is getting at is the idea of "tiering" players and finding value there. For instance if you think Zeke, DJ and Bell are all in the top tier of RB's and Zeke goes for $60, DJ goes for $64, but Bell is available for $57- grab Bell and save yourself key funds for later. Just my 2 cents.
Controlled Chaos 12 Team PPR SFLEX~EST. 2015
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX 1SFLEX

2018+2019 CHAMPION
QB Murray/Stafford
RB Bijan, Gibbs, Zeke
WR DJ Moore, Pittman, JSN, Flowers, Addison, Downs, Lazard
TE Hockenson, Schultz, Knox, Irv Smith

4 2024 1sts
3 2024 2nds
2 2025 1sts

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:50 am

CurtisMyFavMartin wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:06 am

I think what Moishetreats is getting at is the idea of "tiering" players and finding value there. For instance if you think Zeke, DJ and Bell are all in the top tier of RB's and Zeke goes for $60, DJ goes for $64, but Bell is available for $57- grab Bell and save yourself key funds for later. Just my 2 cents.
On the right track, but even deeper.

Let's say that I rank my top 10 RBs this way:

1) $64
2) $63
3) $60
4) $52
5) $51
6) $44
7) $32
8) $32
9) $31
10) $30

By the value theory, I would rather have 9 and 10 for a combined $50 than 1 and 10 for a combined $86. Why? Because I am getting two players valued at $61 for $50 -- 82% of their value. 1 and 10, though, is getting two players valued at $104 for $86 -- 83% of their value. Even though I am "saving" more money in the 1/10 combo, my team's "value" is better in the 9/10 combo. Thus, the idea is that I don't bid on or draft PLAYERS at all. My player evaluation is only relevant as I'm creating my auction board. Before the auction, I will have NO way to know who will be on my team. But, I DO know that my team will be highly "valuable".

This has incredible upside -- your team might end up with, say, 3 of the top 8 players in the league if it turns out the the league is gunshy about bidding on them. Or you could have depth top-to-bottom -- never having to trade away future picks to cover for injuries; being able to package players for upgrades for a long time; and having the depth to trade away good players to desperate owners for future picks.

There are two big downsides:
1) It requires INCREDIBLE discipline. That is difficult in a testosterone-inducing auction to maintain.
2) You won't be able to make adjustments in real time. To do so, you'd actually have to re-adjust EVERY player that you have valued.*
*Note: it is theoretically possible to set up a spreadsheet where your player dollar values are percentages. In doing so, when you then adjust one player's salary in real time by X, the others will go down. It's just likely too much constant change to accommodate.

One additional upside:
Because of the firm valuations of players, you won't get caught in bidding wars. So, for those who do not have the discipline to stick to their values in a real auction, this method assures it.

Bottom line:
This is a highly reliable way to build a guaranteed top team. It has real advantages but comes with real limitations. It fits a personality type quite well. In addition, it is also safe for a new-to-auction owner: you give yourself a high floor as long as your initial valuations aren't too far off.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:52 pm

I'd agree with most everything moishetreats has said. Also, MeUraH has correctly identified the two polarizing strategies. Finding value as a strategy would file directly into the balanced/depth approach.
Last edited by bruiser on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Every league is different in format, so you have to know how to value a league separately from others. I have the best resource out there.

I've developed about twenty auction charts for DLF users in the last 9 months. They are all very happy with the ease of use, and for a fair donation to my beer fund I could work one up for you, too.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.