Tony Romo retires

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ELSOUZA
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Tony Romo retires

Postby ELSOUZA » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:03 am Selfishly I was hoping he would land somewhere because I always enjoyed watching him play. Probably a good move for him though.

Pro Bowler on the field, HOFer off the field.
I'm with you,, as a selfish football watcher I really wanted him to play on... but it certainly seems like the right decision for him given his body.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm

pokerface40 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm It might not be first ballot, but he's a HoFer imho.
Why because you like him? That's not criteria for electing a player to the HOF. He doesn't have an HOF resume.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:27 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm
pokerface40 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm It might not be first ballot, but he's a HoFer imho.
Why because you like him? That's not criteria for electing a player to the HOF. He doesn't have an HOF resume.
Agree. He was a very good player, but not a HOF.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I kinda wonder if he had Jerry Jones hold him in order to improve his bargaining position with the network while giving him a backup plan if he couldn't get a deal done. Jones talked a big game about doing right by Romo, and I would've anticipated more fireworks if he were truly screwing Romo around.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Really the right call. The guy had so many brutal injuries. Just hope he does not Farve it later in the year.

It's a good ending for him. I really expected Romo to be laying on his back and injury being the reason he retired. This way is much better. Good call Romo.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 pm

He won't get in the HOF but it will be because of lack of playoff success, not his numbers. He has a good TD/Int ratio, 78-49 as a starter, 34,000 some odd passing yards, 4th active in passer rating(Brady, Rodgers, Russ) so to me he is as good as many that are in, of course, missing the big SB wins but on that front, there's several QBs that have won SBs that I don't think are that great but they had a great team around them, it's just the way it turned out.
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 pm

I wonder if any Romo owners wish they played in leagues where you get compensation if your player retires unexpectedly. Although I suppose this was not that surprising.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Hopkins/Fuller/Braxton owners should be very disappointed. I know I am.

Real life talk, though, I 100% think Romo is doing the right thing for himself.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:14 am

HOF perhaps ... maybe... of the players overlapping his generation if the NFL did a draft from scratch where is he taken 8th ? 9th ? deeper ?

brady manning ( the rocky dennis one) , rodgers , ben, favre , manning ( the calm smirky one) rivers , brees off the top of my head - probably ahead of carson palmer and matt stafford & matt ryan . I know those numbers are not in his favor as the HOF loses significance if all the players of a generation get in from 1 position. I know he has 1 less post season win than warren moon & dan fouts but only one more than jay cutler tj yates or carson palmer . As I mentioned earlier an awesome story but not a HOF guy in my eyes .
If he had more post season success or more longevity perhaps not having the longevity to be a compiler and nor serious post season success and never truly being an elite option at his position doesn't equal canton in my eyes. Perfect comp kurt warner also a udfa led not one but two previously horrid franchises to the super bowl . One for its 1st lombardi the other to its only super bowl appearance within seconds and a great throw by big ben of leading a second franchise to a lombardi.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 am

Romo is cool. Romo is a very good QB. I am a Romo fan. Romo's accomplishments (Carrie Underwear and Daisy Duke) off the field makes him an all timer. Romo is NOT in the HOF discussion.

Of course I don't care about the HOF since it's obviously a fraud considering Terrell Owens is not a member.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:32 pm

I don't think Romo can get into the Hall with only one (second-team) All-Pro nod and no postseason glory.

But doubtless Tony already knows that. Of course, having a bust in the Hall is probably small consolation to all the retired players with swiss-cheese brains.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Romo is missing pretty much everything you want on an NFL resume to even be considered for the Hall of Fame. No bonus points for being a great guy.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 pm I wonder if any Romo owners wish they played in leagues where you get compensation if your player retires unexpectedly. Although I suppose this was not that surprising.
Why would any league have a rule about "unexpected" retirement? How do you even define that parameter?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Yeah you got me there. After reflecting on it and reading a few articles discussing it, I'll admit he's not likely HoF material. Although he does hold nearly every Cowboys passing record, a stellar career QB rating, and near HoF level stats.

I feel like if he would have stayed a bit more healthy to pad his stats and the refs made a different call on the Dez catch, he does have HoF talent. Also he played in the golden age of QBs so was overshadowed by the likes of Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I digress though. Great career for an UDFA, a shame he couldn't get closer to a ring.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:07 pm

skip wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:03 pm Romo is missing pretty much everything you want on an NFL resume to even be considered for the Hall of Fame. No bonus points for being a great guy.

No way he deserves to be in, and I've been a big defender of him as a QB over his career.

The unwritten rule of the HOF is, "can you write the script of the NFL without player X?" And unfortunately for Tony, the answer is absolutely YES. He didn't change the script of football much at all.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)