Matt Waldman's 2017 RSP

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Matt Waldman's 2017 RSP

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:11 pm

HawkeyeState wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm All good.
Yeah I fell for the "other" Mike Thomas too, whoops.
What did Snead say? Maybe we have us a post-hype sleeper? lol
Haha he just kind of looked at me like I was crazy and laughed

Me: good morning, Mr Snead, glad to see you here. Also, when are you gonna give me boy Mike Thomas a chance other than on special teams? The kid can ball

Les Snead: laughed and said "we'll see, I'll keep that in mind heading into the spring"

Nice guy though, kind enough to get a picture with him.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Misses happen. Important to see why it happened and what he adjusts with his scouting. For the most part, very thorough and very consistent.

The danger for me is having an opinion beforehand of a player and only seeking out favorable reports and dismissing anything that counters my biases. Have to remind myself to keep an open mind.

Crazy all the resources we have nowadays. I'm sure I'm not the only one that used graph paper and the Monday sports page to tabulate scores.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 am

Don't pay attention to the rankings. He himself in the RSP says he hates rankings and doesn't feel they tell enough of the story. I just read about what he sees and looks for when he looks at each player. Especially the players i won't take the time to study. Ranking these guys is on me not him. I just use his work to point me towards what I should be looking at. I've been buying this for years and I'm not going to ding the guy because he misses on some players. Everyone does, even the people who are paid by teams to do this. Expecting a perfect set of rankings from anyone is delusional imo.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 am

MARKinMI wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 am Don't pay attention to the rankings.
agreeance.

many of the issues people have with the RSP are from using it the wrong way. he takes great pain to break his pre draft lists down into sub-comment tiers that, if you are not reading, you are missing.

in recent years this has gotten easier as he puts these sections in bold between the rankings. he might say, for example, after the top two guys in a position, that the next 8 guys have only committee caliber talent and should not be pursued in early rounds beyond the top talent at other positions. when you only look at who he has in a "top 10" you're making a pretty error.

further, he'll comment at the end of each player's section where he suspects their value will go and how you should approach drafting them before and after the NFL draft. this often includes statements on a highly ranked player like "would wait for the late second/early third round of april drafts."
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 am

inadvertent duplicate post
Last edited by Goirish374 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 am

Bought the RSP last year and I find it inefficient. It's interesting reading, but if you're getting ready for a rookie draft, there are a lot of better ways you can spend your time than getting into the level of detail of the RSP.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sunnyd23 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:10 am

I completely bought into Cody Latimer when I read Waldman's breakdown and it blew up in my face. The thing of it is, you can't predict a player's desire to learn, work, or even their ability to learn an NFL scheme or process. That is where Latimer was done. But I digress.

Count me in as a proponent of the RSP. Keep in mind it's ONE tool for your research. The rankings are there for context, and nothing else. You will miss if you follow it to a T, but where I find it helpful is in the reasoning. Explaining & showing the work is key.

Use the RSP as a reference and how these players fit into the teams they are drafted by. And, take into account when a team hires a new coach, gets a new QB, or changes offensive philosophy.
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 am

I love Waldman but I do not follow his rankings whatsoever. He is a film scout, and he is scouting for football purposes, not fantasy purposes. Matt is a good resource though for me cause although I watch film I'm drafting off metrics/draft capital/opportunity at the end of the day. I use Matt to confirm things, or to see where we are wildly different, so I can go back and re-evaluate a player.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

never bought it , likely never will just out of point of pride of doing my own work but the little I have been exposed to seems to be incredible. I just don't have the need or the time to sift 1600 pages deep into one person's opinion when it is released so close to the draft. I like to incorporate the many fine voices around the dynasty community and mesh them with my own observations , were I to purchase the RSP, I would be buried in it and miss plenty of podcasts and news from other sources thus over weighting one opinion . For all the praise and accolades he gets across the dynasty community he comes across as incredibly humble & selfless. Hell after all the $ the browns spent last year if they would just dropped 20$ for the RSP they would have had a better draft most likely.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am Hell after all the $ the browns spent last year if they would just dropped 20$ for the RSP they would have had a better draft most likely.
:clap:

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:28 pm

ericanadian wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 am Bought the RSP last year and I find it inefficient. It's interesting reading, but if you're getting ready for a rookie draft, there are a lot of better ways you can spend your time than getting into the level of detail of the RSP.
My thoughts as well.

Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Death_From_Above » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:23 am

Jason3123 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 am I love Waldman but I do not follow his rankings whatsoever. He is a film scout, and he is scouting for football purposes, not fantasy purposes. Matt is a good resource though for me cause although I watch film I'm drafting off metrics/draft capital/opportunity at the end of the day. I use Matt to confirm things, or to see where we are wildly different, so I can go back and re-evaluate a player.
Where I am at as well. As someone else said its ONE piece of a bigger pie. I do what Jason does as well, I build my board based off my very very professional and extremely accurate player analysis (no misses in the last 5 years, just ask my HR department) and use this as well as other tools to see the similarities and the differences and then go evaluate some more.

For the price you cant beat the amount of work put into this thing, and its a great tool to help you see exactly why he is valuing or devaluing a player because his notes are meticulous. My 2 cents.