Isaiah Ford is Easy Money.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Isaiah Ford is Easy Money.

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:19 am

Phaded wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:05 pmlast year when CG posted a thread like this it was for a guy named Michael Thomas.
Yup, and because of that thread I drafted Michael Thomas in all 3 of my leagues, trading back from the 1.02 and 1.03 in two of them gaining extra 1sts in the process.

I'm terrible at WR evaluations, so anything helps.

Who else ya got, CG? OR...... which WRs in the draft do you think are better prospects than Ford? BE BOLD if you must.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 am

part of the reason is the recent baylor wr history in the league perhaps as opposed to the hokie wr history , at least in my eyes that matters . The analytic/ metric guys 100% time dismiss this rational and it is their prerogative to do so , for me that matters as there are exceptions to every rule. History leaves clues with which to help base an opinion . Does the fact that nearly every VT wr has been mediocre or worse in the league mean ford will . Of course not but when splitting hairs looking for a gem that type of info does matter or can matter. antonio freeman 20 years ago carroll dale 50 years & eddie royal - after that hokies from blacksburg have been quite hokey in the league.

I would rather than ford endorse firehouse pizza in blacksburg by the VTECH campus , phenomenal
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 am The year before, I did one for Tyler Lockett, asking why he was going in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts behind garbage talent despite being more skilled and productive than most of his peers.
Oh so you might be to blame for why I didn't get Lockett early third that draft... lol
Thanks for the heads up, I'll move him up my draft board for sure! Great thread.

jhhump
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby jhhump » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 pm

I agree on Ford he is an underrated player! I live close to VT and he always looks like the best WR on the field. He may never be a top 10 WR but he should be a solid no 2 WR for a team. VT isn't known for being a passing team so the numbers that he has put up are pretty impressive. He's a solid route running and has good game speed.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:23 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 am I would rather than ford endorse firehouse pizza in blacksburg by the VTECH campus , phenomenal
REAL. Souvlaki, Underground Pub, the Cellar, Macados, Mike's (RIP)... Damn I miss Blacksburg
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:33 pm

ah yes mcadoos also miss the farmhouse and for me down from indiana at the time a few years back chik filet was awesome now they are around here but when I was down in blacksburg it was must have stuff when I was busy and short of time. PLus there was a pizza shop over in pearisburg but the name escapes ,me that had terrific pies as well.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 am part of the reason is the recent baylor wr history in the league perhaps as opposed to the hokie wr history , at least in my eyes that matters . The analytic/ metric guys 100% time dismiss this rational and it is their prerogative to do so , for me that matters as there are exceptions to every rule. History leaves clues with which to help base an opinion .
I don't think uniform scouting is a logical approach. Every player is different. Sure, there may be infamous stigmas around USC WR's and Wisconsin RB's, but you have to focus strictly on the player.

Jimi Hendrix
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jimi Hendrix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm

I nabbed him last year in a Devy draft. :dance: Everyone asked, who is that? :confused:
DLF Charter- Carolina Crosstown Traffic
DLF Charter II- Carolina Cozmik Vibes
DLF IDP Invitational--Stone Free
DLF IDP Invitational II--Lazy Lightnin (15 Champions)
DLF United -- Carolina Experience (17 Champs)
Lead Dog--Bad Company
FAAFFL--Purple Haze (99,08 Champions)
RnRFFL--Crosstown Traffic (2000, 02, 04, 10, 17, 18,19 Champions)
Gridiron Elite Dynasty League--Appalachian Mountaineers

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm
clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 am part of the reason is the recent baylor wr history in the league perhaps as opposed to the hokie wr history , at least in my eyes that matters . The analytic/ metric guys 100% time dismiss this rational and it is their prerogative to do so , for me that matters as there are exceptions to every rule. History leaves clues with which to help base an opinion .
I don't think uniform scouting is a logical approach. Every player is different. Sure, there may be infamous stigmas around USC WR's and Wisconsin RB's, but you have to focus strictly on the player.
I mention as much , but ford is similar to 12 other guys in this draft and that school history is a brick on the wrong side of the scales.
If you think wisky rbs and USC wr are bad then you should sort of get it as hokey WR scream mediocrity .
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:14 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm
I mention as much , but ford is similar to 12 other guys in this draft and that school history is a brick on the wrong side of the scales.
If you think wisky rbs and USC wr are bad then you should sort of get it as hokey WR scream mediocrity .
What 12 players in this class are similar to Ford? And why don't they have the same success against press coverage and run the same route quality?

Uniform scouting isn't relevant. You wouldn't say "Deandre Smelter is going to be great, because Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas went to Georgia Tech." Just like you wouldn't say "A.J. Green is going to suck. What good WR ever came from Georgia?"

Hvy20
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Hvy20 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Draft position and location will tell us a lot. If he goes to a favorable situation, I'll take a stab at him easily 3rd.
12 Man Dynasty w/ Contract Years
6pts pass/rush/rec TDs; 1 PPR - QB, RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 O-flex(RB,WR or TE), 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 D-Flex

QB: A.Luck, D.Prescott, A.Smith
RB: C.Hyde, T.Rawls, R.Kelley, R.Mathews, J.Ferguson, A.Collins
WR: J.Jones, M.Evans, D.Adams, D.Parker, T.Boyd, DGB, L.Treadwell, M.Mitchell, G.Allison
TE: T.Eifert, J.Witten, A.Hooper
DL: F.Cox, C.Dunlap, D.Fowler, T.Flowers
LB: C.Mosley, K.Alonso, M. Te'o, A.Barr, R.Wilson
DB: H.Clinton-Dix, B.Church, R.Darby, S.Davis, J.Addae

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Nothing wrong with factoring in prior success or lack of from guys playing the same position at the same school. Coaches recruit certain types so players typically fit that mold more often than break it. Just another piece of the puzzle that should be weighted accordingly.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 am
ninotoreS wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:28 am The team that drafts him could greatly boost or severely tank your current estimation. So I do not agree that he is 'easy money' at this moment in time, that implies a guarantee that does not exist. Thus, right now for rookie-drafts taking place before the real draft, a rookie-draft 3rd round pick feels right to me. An early 3rd, perhaps.
The point of this thread isn't to predict some monumental rookie season for Ford. When I made it for Thomas, I didn't even think he would have the rookie season he did, though I did believe he had the upside to have it eventually. The year before, I did one for Tyler Lockett, asking why he was going in the 3rd rounds of rookie drafts behind garbage talent despite being more skilled and productive than most of his peers.

I'm doing the same thing for Ford. Here are some players going above him:

Carlos Henderson
Zay Jones
KD Cannon
Cooper Kupp
Malachi Dupre
Jamal Williams
Wayne Gallman
James Conner

I would love to hear the argument as to why KD Cannon is 10 spots better than Ford, despite being better at nothing other than straight line speed.
Regarding all the RBs in this class that are cluttering rookie-draft round 2 right now... merely decent RBs can find themselves in serious near-term fantasy value (especially the hyped up, speculative sell-high kind) a lot easier than receivers with Ford's profile. They're not necessarily better football players, and this is an example of why fantasy context is corrupted context. Nonetheless, we must acknowledge its vagaries if we play the game. it's not 'fair', but an above-average RB prospect that lands in a good / accessible depth-chart situation is usually going to be a much better rookie-draft lottery ticket than an under-appreciated receiver like Ford that lands on a depth-chart where he's only projected to compete for a no.3 or no. 4 job, etc.

I don't think Cannon, Dupre, and Henderson should have a higher ADP than Ford at this moment in time. I don't think it's crazy with the rest of those guys you mention, though. I've explained why already with the RBs. As for the remaining WRs, I'm actually very intrigued by Cooper Kupp, and I respect Zay Jones' production together with his intangibles (i.e. simply being 'a good football player'), which if anything are better than Ford's. Right now, I will absolutely take Kupp before Ford, and I'd think very hard about it with Jones.

p.s. I think you're a good poster, Mr. Giles. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm picking on you individually, but... @ all: you guys don't realize how cringy it is when you try to enhance the credibility of an opinion by citing those times you happened to be right before. Look, if one truly has a knack for correct prognostication, people will notice without you having to remind everyone. Just make your argument, and leave the cherry-picked resume with all the failed predictions conveniently omitted to yourself. I'll no doubt catch heat for saying this, but it's something some of y'all need to hear. There are lots of published amateur FF writers that need to listen to this advice, much less the posters here. oy vey
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:29 am

y'all ? wtf are you OK man ? really is everything alright there at the ninotoreS ranch ? I am getting worried ?

hey CG i just threw out twelve as a # I didn't have a list . I watched the GIFs and have watched a good bit of tape of ford and was initially quite high and it is not like I hate the guy , I will just be shocked if he is ever a week to week starter for fantasy teams.
By 12 I just meant that this class has lots of guys that MAY hit but their is little that differentiates ford from many of the others.
Route running is a terrific plus but he isn't the kind of player that will bully his way up the depth chart with his tools in my opinion. So situation will be imperative for him to contribute short or long term. Will he stick for a few years ? absolutely. Will he get lost in the shuffle on a team depth chart in a year or two ? I think that is the most likely outcome.
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:06 am

ninotoreS wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 pm Regarding all the RBs in this class that are cluttering rookie-draft round 2 right now... merely decent RBs can find themselves in serious near-term fantasy value (especially the hyped up, speculative sell-high kind) a lot easier than receivers with Ford's profile. They're not necessarily better football players, and this is an example of why fantasy context is corrupted context. Nonetheless, we must acknowledge its vagaries if we play the game. it's not 'fair', but an above-average RB prospect that lands in a good / accessible depth-chart situation is usually going to be a much better rookie-draft lottery ticket than an under-appreciated receiver like Ford that lands on a depth-chart where he's only projected to compete for a no.3 or no. 4 job, etc.
I think that's a good point, but I don't view any of the RB's after a certain tier as above-average prospects. I think once you get out the 1st round, you're talking dime-a-dozen RB's, who are just being lifted because they're in a good RB class.
I don't think Cannon, Dupre, and Henderson should have a higher ADP than Ford at this moment in time. I don't think it's crazy with the rest of those guys you mention, though. I've explained why already with the RBs. As for the remaining WRs, I'm actually very intrigued by Cooper Kupp, and I respect Zay Jones' production together with his intangibles (i.e. simply being 'a good football player'), which if anything are better than Ford's. Right now, I will absolutely take Kupp before Ford, and I'd think very hard about it with Jones.
Zay Jones has a slightly better market share than Ford, but Ford has an earlier breakout age. I don't see how that makes his better than Ford when you consider Ford played better against tougher competition at a younger age. I actually like Kupp more than Jones, and he's looked good against some NFL competition. I'm just skeptical about a soon-to-be 24-year-old who dominated the Big Sky Conference.
p.s. I think you're a good poster, Mr. Giles. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm picking on you individually, but... @ all: you guys don't realize how cringy it is when you try to enhance the credibility of an opinion by citing those times you happened to be right before. Look, if one truly has a knack for correct prognostication, people will notice without you having to remind everyone. Just make your argument, and leave the cherry-picked resume with all the failed predictions conveniently omitted to yourself. I'll no doubt catch heat for saying this, but it's something some of y'all need to hear. There are lots of published amateur FF writers that need to listen to this advice, much less the posters here. oy vey
I didn't cite the times I was right. I explained why I felt apart of this players skill reminded me of past prospects that I was very high on. I brought up Tyler Lockett as an example of the type of thread this is. It's not guaranteeting an amazing rookie season, it's questioning why productive and skilled players are being undervalued behind mediocrity.