GEDL Rookie Draft 2017

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: GEDL Rookie Draft 2017

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:33 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 am In fact, this draft is probably similar to yours, and it's happening right now:

http://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 35009&O=17
How bout this.. Next year when i start getting PMs asking when the draft is I'll tell them some dude named MEuRaH thinks its dumb and you shouldn't be interested in my league... Fair? That 96 league looks familiar. Its the same one that Trophylife guy is always referencing when he's trying to sell people on his new Fantasy UI. Is this you? It's been years since i added somebody to my ignore list on the forum so congrats on making me hit that button again. I'd recommend that you follow suit and put me on the list so our paths don't cross and we can both be happier for it. And here's a pro tip... If you see a thread you have no interest in you don't have to read it. :thumbup:

I post this because I'm asked to. If you go back and look at the previous year's threads you'll see fairly big post counts and really big view counts.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Mark runs some of the best leagues I've seen. His drafts hold more water to me since the quality of managers is pretty high.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am why would anyone wait for 1 draft, when they can get constant updates via MFL in real time?
i can't speak for anyone else, so i won't try. i can answer your question for me, if you are legitimately asking a question, which i'm not sure you are.

a) this is a real league, which sets it ahead of any type of mock
b) this is a league populated by popular DLF Forum personalities who consistently give back to the community. in the sense that you can "know" online personae, i feel that i "know" some of these posters
c) these posters share extensively their pre, mid and post draft thoughts in this thread. there is wisdom and experience at work in those posts that far exceeds the worth of the picks and their contribution to an ADP, real or perceived
d) MarkInMI has, to my limited experience, pioneered the "april rookie draft" concept and posts extensively to answer questions. his leaguemates post testimonial support which has been instrumental in my conversion to this concept. so i care about this draft far, far more than some other draft that might produce exactly the same picks in exactly the same order. i suspect i am not the only one.
e) none of this is to say there isn't value in the data you direct people to--but there is hardly a need for mutual exclusion. reject the tyranny of "or," embrace the liberty of "and."
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

NJKV
Starter
Starter

Postby NJKV » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 am

This is a fun draft. I don't have my 1st but I am excited for it as you can pick up value in the later rounds. Well I completed my full rebuild to end up winning the league last year. My goal is now to try to maintain my team team. Get value where I can.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. I doubt my league was the first early rookie draft but I personally don't know of any others first hand. I have to share the credit for the initial concept with Shaun (connskins) as i think he actually came up with the idea of drafting a few weeks early in one of our other leagues and I liked it so much i decided to build it a month later. We kind of got lucky in that i don't think we ever got anything in the initial setup wrong. Everything worked really well from day one and we have never had to make any tweaks or changes to the draft format. If anyone has any questions about best ways to set this format up I'd be happy to help.

I clicked ignore but read his post anyway which is kind of dumb on my part so I'll clear one thing up. Its not an announcement of an announcement. I was asked by 7 people when the draft was and posted publicly so people who cared would know. This is the only thread there will be its not a thread announcing a new thread. Every year there is ONE thread. So I'm not sure what you're even talking about. So given that this is the only thread I'd appreciate it if you'd not hijack it so we can get back to fantasy football and rookies. IMO this isnt really a conversation thats needs to be archived in this thread that some people will revisit in future years. We'd like to get back to fantasy football if that's ok with you. Your opinion has been well documented.

Getting back to the draft. This year is just weird. I know there's a lot of talks and stuff going on behind the scenes. With Maryland owning so many of the top 20 picks it makes things weird. I traded Gronk last month for a package of picks that included 1.08, 2.04, 2.11 (i think) and a 2018 1st. I've tried moving up from 1.08 but haven't had much luck. I really like who i think will be available at 1.08 but I'm also open to moving back from that spot once the pick is on the clock. I've gotten a few offers to trade the pick outright which given my history with 1st rounders I'm also open to. It's just a really weird draft year. Couple that with the fact that there are so many different rankings from the mid 1st to the end of the 2nd... I'm expecting some fireworks.

Drop
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Drop » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Chesapeake Bay Barracudas here....I traded my way out of early draft action in favor of Gronk in an effort to finally get over the hump, and make a push as a contender in GEDL. I traded the 1.8, 2.4, 2.13, a 3rd, and an '18 1st for the top TE. He'll be 28 this year, and he's going to prove he's young enough, and talented enough to remain healthy, and elite.

It seems like a lot on the surface, but I believe in a HUGE bounce back for Gronk, and those picks in this format are more of a risk to hit. You need a lot of luck with your picks to make all that shake out.

I like the proven asset without a top 5 pick being involved. I understand many like the picks, especially this time of year, and I certainly would like to be in on the 1st three rounds of this draft because it's always a blast. But last year I moved out of the 1st to aqcuire TY Hilton. This year I made a similar move for Gronk. It's time for the 'Cudas to surprise some folks!

Good luck to all my GEDL homies in the upcoming festivities!
XDL - Prince William Pit Bulls - 2012 Champ, 2017 Runner Up
Brady, JimmyG, Darnold
Guice, RoJo, Kerryon, Foreman, James White
K Allen, Dede, Sanu, Goodwin
Engram

IDL - Washington Federals, 2016 Champ
Brady, Cousins
McCoy, C Thompson
Hopkins, K Allen, Tyreek, Diggs, Jeffery
Reed, Doyle

Beer League (2QB/SF)- Washington Hellraisers, 2015 Champ
Brady, Wilson, Dak
DJ, Freeman, CMAC
OBJ, Diggs, Jeffery, Fitz, Hogan, Golladay
Reed, Cook

GEDL (Early Rookie Draft)- Chesapeake Bay Barracudas
*REBUILD Year 1*
Mayfield
R Penny, Rolls Royce, C Thompson
M Goodwin, J Washington
Jesse James

Good Vs Evil Dynasty (Devy) - The Wild Cards, 2016 Runner Up
Rivers, Goff
Rojo, C Thompson, J White
OBJ, K Allen, Tyreek, M. Jones, E. Sanders
Olsen, Doyle

Red Zone Dynasty (Devy/SF)
Cousins, Trubisky, Dalton, Tyrod
Gurley, Kamara, Guice, CMAC, Drake, Chubb, Lynch
M Thomas, Watkins, C Davis
Henry, Burton

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:58 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:08 am MFL publicly displays daily results of rookie drafts...This link shows 9 that are either going on right now or have concluded. As a bonus, you can check the bottom of the page and look at each rookie draft individually.... if you view it every few days, you can see the rookies increase and decrease in real value.
Awesome reference, man! Heading there now.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 pm

If people really cared couldn't they just look up GEDL on MFL?

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 pm

MARKinMI wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm I'd recommend that every owner play in one league that drafts like this. On one hand It can be frustrating and on the other it can be sheer elation. For every rookie that goes to a bad landing spot there are typically multiple players that are drafted later on who go to great situations. I love 2nd and 3rd round picks in this format. It forces dynasty owners to know the incoming rookie class. You can't just watch the NFL draft and see who goes where and then pick your guys. You gotta scout (hopefully better than me) and you have to know what these players are worth to you compared to Vets. We see way more trades in this format than any other i play in. Just look at how the picks are jumbled up right now. I'm not sure any team has their normal allotment of picks.
Think this is why I'd play in a league like this, if I had the time to do a 3rd league, which I don't.

BTW, I re-read the OP, and there's no "announcement of an announcement". Mark is simply announcing that his league's draft is on April 15th, providing a link to the action so that those of us who are interested can follow along LIVE, and providing a platform for everyone to discuss both the concept of pre-NFL Draft drafts and the actual GEDL picks.

Mark, as I'm sure you know, the quickest way to get someone to shut up is not to speak or listen to them.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:28 am

I want in this league!!

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:00 am

MeuRah, you're come across as a douche nozzle in this thread. The golden rule of fantasy football is that nobody cares about your team. But this forum encapsulates the exact opposite of that. We come here to compare notes, get advice, theorize, establish base values and variance, etc. Since there are so many regulars, we all take an interest in each other's teams, leagues, players, strategies etc.

There are a handful of leagues that are made up of DLF regulars and big dogs that some of us take even more of an interest in. Your 96 teamer is one that I've kept an eye on honestly. Then we have the DLFP, DLFHOF, DLFS, GEDL, and hell even the Coogan Cup, even if it's a one man show :wink: :ewink:

Point is, chill out. This also goes out to others who criticize the Premium League, etc. for posting updates. If you don't like a thread in the 'Dynasty League Discussion' thread about a 'Dynasty League', then don't click on it.

That all said, I'm excited for April 15th to see this draft get underway to see how my boy Madadamus does in shredding it Mutiny style.

This concludes my announcement about an announcement criticizing an announcement about an announcement.
Last edited by pokerface40 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:24 am

Q: I see vets previously being drafted in this rookie draft, yet I see no announcement anywhere saying that vets can be drafted. Can this be clarified?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Are any new owners this year? It makes a difference when watching the draft.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Bristol Green Hornets here. Kind of uneventful draft for me this year. Traded away my 1st last season. Do have a couple later 2nds. Note to my fellow leaguemates. If Allen Robinson is going to get sold again for peanuts please let me know ;)

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:06 am

No new owners since 2014 when a guy retired from all his dynasty leagues. I believe that's when we gained the Burlington Bucks.