Joe Mixon Thread: 4 Year extension in Cincy

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: If Joe Mixon goes in the top 2 rounds to a good team situation, is he your 1.01?

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

KU Sucks wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 pm At lunch I was listening to the NFL network on Sirrius radio & talking heads said 87% of football fans in a survey said they don't won't their teams to draft Mixon.
I'm not sure such survey reports are any better than unnamed sources.

Unless you know far more about the details of a given survey, they're usually far more misleading than meaningful. How large was it? How did they choose their respondents? How was the question written? What were the answer choices? How were they written? What exclusion criteria were applied to the respondents?

Hell, if they asked 8 Steelers fans i wouldn't be surprised that 7 of them said no.

This isn't directed at you, btw. I doubt the NFL network folks have thought further than sports center level depth about what they are "reporting."
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Re: If Joe Mixon goes in the top 2 rounds to a good team situation, is he your 1.01?

Postby _yeti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Tell me this, why are people so eager to see Mixon receive additional punishment from the NFL, years after the fact?

I haven't seen any noise requesting punishment for Peyton Manning. And you can say it's because Mixon is a rookie and there is a tape and yes that's a part of it, but if Cam had the same allegations as Peyton (sexual assault and HGH) you can bet millions more would be very upset. Recognize the racial bias. To take it further, if McCaffrey had done this assault, on tape, when he was 18, I feel like people would much more readily be giving him a second chance and not want him additionally punished by the NFL. I truly believe that
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm

I don't think he deserves "additional punishment" - I just think this expectation of him going in the top 2 rounds is an extreme longshot.

Whether it is recent or not, there is a well published PR problem that will come with him. Mixon is an RB - a position that in recent years, teams simply have not been reaching for. On top of that, he's not some extraordinary once in a generation talent.

Teams will have to measure the PR Risk vs the potential reward of a guy like Mixon and I don't think that teams think the reward is as high as a lot of people around here seem to think.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 pm

I've only followed this thread peripherally​ for a while now. Are people really suggesting punishment by the NFL? Quote the post if you can, maybe I missed it. All I'm seeing is comments about how soon he would be drafted. That's not punishment. That's risk assessment and something NFL teams are taking more and more seriously with each passing year. They can ill afford to waste valuable draft capital on players that spend more time on the sidelines than on the field.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:11 pm

All I have to say now is that Andy Reid signed Michael Vick as a free agent when no one wanted anything to do with him. He also drafted Tyreek Hill. I can easily see them take Mixon in the first or second round. No chance he makes it after the 3rd round.

Do you really think a GM and Coach cares how much the fans dislike a prospect when those same fans will forget within a years time. It's only when the coaching staff comes forward and states publicly that they want nothing to do with domestic abuse of any kind, for example the Ravens and the Raiders. Look how long the Giants tried to hold onto Josh Brown.... NFL team don't care as much as you think about their public image.
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm

PR Hit is just what we are doing here multiplied out into the general public. Extra punishment is not being allowed to come to the combine, it's constant speculation of whether he will be or should be drafted and the discussion as certainty that the team that takes him takes a negative PR hit. That is the unconscious bias I am referring to, because Peyton Manning's name is still good as gold everywhere in the NFL and in every house in America but if Cam had his allegations, well all Cam had to do was score TDs, win, dab, and smile and he was despised. The PR hit is a reflection of our attitudes as fans. Know why there was no PR hit in the 80s and 90s? Because no one cared, as lukkynumber13 said, "I don't watch football in order to find role models, and I certainly don't play fantasy as a means of mining mankind for virtuous Supermen. I enjoy watching football because it entertains me, and I enjoy fantasy because I'm a nerd." If the NFL would revert back to this mindset we would all be better for it and the game would too.

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm

If he's a round one talent he should go in round one (he won't) and if they really have that round 1 grade on him, he will go by the end of round 2. There is too much riding on delivering success in the NFL. Yes, it is a position that has lost relative value but if he is still sitting there in round 2 with round 1 talent, someone will take that shot. He doesn't have to be a generational talent for that. Not everyone has Bill Belichick level job security.

jpatern21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jpatern21 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 pm

_yeti wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm If he's a round one talent he should go in round one (he won't) and if they really have that round 1 grade on him, he will go by the end of round 2. There is too much riding on delivering success in the NFL. Yes, it is a position that has lost relative value but if he is still sitting there in round 2 with round 1 talent, someone will take that shot. He doesn't have to be a generational talent for that. Not everyone has Bill Belichick level job security.
+1
I agree. I've read reports where he'll slide through the 3rd round or possibly not even be drafted. I'll believe it when I see it. I think he has first round talent. I highly doubt he will go in first but my guess would be somewhere in second round. Sure some teams will not have him on their boards but I agree there are GM/coaches that "feel the heat". If they feel he can help them win, they'll take him. Sure there will be some backlash out the gate. But if he performs, it will soon pass.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

So getting back to the player on the field for a minute, there have been a couple of concerns mentioned about his ability to run between the tackles and carry a full workload. Another stat that recently came up was the type of defenses he typically ran against in college. Namely that he only ran against 8 man fronts on 6% of his carries, which is insanely low. Fournette for instance, I believe ran against 8+ man fronts on 60+ percent of his carries. Any concern on how he'll be able to handle this in the NFL?
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm So getting back to the player on the field for a minute, there have been a couple of concerns mentioned about his ability to run between the tackles and carry a full workload. Another stat that recently came up was the type of defenses he typically ran against in college. Namely that he only ran against 8 man fronts on 6% of his carries, which is insanely low. Fournette for instance, I believe ran against 8+ man fronts on 60+ percent of his carries. Any concern on how he'll be able to handle this in the NFL?
I think his receiving and ability in space can keep him relevant in any scheme, and chances are teams that need a focal point to their offense like the Brown's won't risk taking Mixon, it's too much all or nothing there, but a team like cinci could afford for mixon to not be a god on the field, because they have other weapons, therefore he likely won't face stacked boxes
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm
Vcize wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm So getting back to the player on the field for a minute, there have been a couple of concerns mentioned about his ability to run between the tackles and carry a full workload. Another stat that recently came up was the type of defenses he typically ran against in college. Namely that he only ran against 8 man fronts on 6% of his carries, which is insanely low. Fournette for instance, I believe ran against 8+ man fronts on 60+ percent of his carries. Any concern on how he'll be able to handle this in the NFL?
I think his receiving and ability in space can keep him relevant in any scheme, and chances are teams that need a focal point to their offense like the Brown's won't risk taking Mixon, it's too much all or nothing there, but a team like cinci could afford for mixon to not be a god on the field, because they have other weapons, therefore he likely won't face stacked boxes
Got to agree. Stacked boxes are reserved for the early to mid-career A.P. and Gurley's of the world aka super dominant backs on offenses without other threats. His character concerns might mean he falls to a team that isn't as reliant on him which opens up the run game and by upgrading their run game, further opens up the passing game. The more potent the offense the less a defense can afford to commit to stopping one guy.

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Fournettes numbers were only that high because he was the offense. That's not a stat that necessarily matters for Mixon. Only thing that would matter from that start is how did he handle himself when he went against the 8 man box.
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 am

Perine was handling most of that work and the heavy duty lifting. Their line was really not that great the last couple years. I know their offense always ended up clicking and putting up some crazy stats, but the Oline was very poor for long stretches, then jelled for stretches. Not a lot of consistency. I think he will be fine between the tackles, but it will be the receiving and space plays, etc. that really make him fantasy relevant.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: If not for off the field issues, Joe Mixon 1.1.

Postby ArrylT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:04 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ith-victim

Article about civil lawsuit being settled (out of court).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 pm

I meant to leave this here earlier... darn.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mercuryn ... g-him/amp/

It seems like his suitors are narrowing with Raiders, Vikings, and Eagles at the top. I personally like to sprinkle KC in there with them because I can dream right?

He won't pass the 3rd round. No way possible now.