Evaluating Talent

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prickler
Role Player
Role Player

Evaluating Talent

Postby Prickler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 pm

I just want to give props to all the scouts, film watchers, and metric computers. According to recruit757.com there are 70,147 NCAA football players. Regardless of the accuracy of that number I think it's safe to say that there are a n absurd amount of players to skim through when looking for future NFL talent. I won't even pretend that I am anywhere close to competent at evaluating elite football talents. Hell, even professionals get it wrong a significant percent of the time.

When it comes to my fake football hobby I appreciate anyone who is able to break down the mind blowing number of NCAA players into a a top 25-50 players which in turn I am able to evaluate further and make my own decision. Sure it's easy to watch highlights of just about any relevant NCAA football player and be impressed, but to narrow it down is something I honesty don't think I could do on my own. One of the reason I'm excited about the NFL draft is because we get the opinion of the best football minds in the world of how good these players really are.

Let's not forget that as good as players look on film or how their attributes compute in metrics, the order in which these players are drafted is still the best indicator of future success. Dalvin Cook may have had a terrible combine, but if he is picked in the middle of the 1st round, all of that will be an after thought. Let's not get too crazy over the next month in valuation changes. We still have a lot more of the puzzle needed to base our decisions off of.