Annoying Log In

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Annoying Log In

Postby skip » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm I'm not a tech savvy guy so maybe this isn't even possible...but does something like your google profile store something like cookies for you online? So no matter what device or browser you are using, if you are signed into your google account it will enable those cookies for you? I have no idea. Just spitballing.
Yes, BUT clearing them isn't a "local" clear...It clears them from your "profile" or whatever terminology is correct.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am

skip wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 pm
Valhalla wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm I'm not a tech savvy guy so maybe this isn't even possible...but does something like your google profile store something like cookies for you online? So no matter what device or browser you are using, if you are signed into your google account it will enable those cookies for you? I have no idea. Just spitballing.
Yes, BUT clearing them isn't a "local" clear...It clears them from your "profile" or whatever terminology is correct.
Learn something new every day

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:35 am

I'm posting using my android phone for the first time in weeks. I've been able to login by using a chrome browser on my phone that I've never used. I have always used the stock browser that runs on my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone, but it is no longer supported by this site.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 am

I came here to vent a few days ago and decided to just clear my cache since the beginning of time for good measure. Voila, I don't seem to have the issue anymore.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 am

Problem seems to be fixed for me. Haven't changed anything in the last couple of weeks, and it started working about 3 days ago.

Now, to recover all the 100s of mind blowing posts that would change FFL forever that I typed but wasn't able to post over the past couple of months...

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks for the info DD, that is very interesting. I cannot account for why that would be happening.

Hang in there, I am continuing to investigate this, and information like this is a useful piece of the puzzle.

Thanks
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:23 pm I think it confirms that the issue isn't directly related to clearing the cache. And it can't be a plug-in or specific browser problem either because I have the issue on both Chrome for my PC and Safari for my phone. So 2 completely different systems with different browsers.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:49 am

Cricket, I can completely appreciate your frustration with the behavior you are experiencing.

This behavior is not happening equally for everybody. Some are experiencing this, some are not. This makes it difficult to identify the specific problem. Unfortunately you are among the more adversely affected by this issue.

Clearing of cookies has worked for some - many in fact. Which is why I suggest clearing of cookies. After the changes I made a while back to the server settings in the hopes of fixing this issue, the cookies for the site had to be reset, requiring a clearing of local browser cache. It did seem to improve the experience or many folks. But it didn't work for you, and it didn't work for others. I get that.

I never suggested this was a "you" problem. Clearly some existing issue was exacerbated by the recent update to the forum software. An update which I will reiterate was necessary in order to address some other issues and to receive continued support for this platform. But technology is imperfect, and sometimes weird bleep happens. I have been building and managing websites & data networks for 20+ years. I do not claim to know everything about everything, nobody does, but rest assured, I know what the I am doing. I have seen this type of weird 'should be working but it isn't' stuff before. It happens. I am working on it, I have engaged with other people who also know what they are doing, and we are all trying to determine the cause of the issue. The simple reality is, there are a number of factors involved, and sometimes the fix is not obvious or easy. Other sites around the world also experience issues. It's the world we live in. It has nothing to do with 'crappy web mechanics'.

We're working on it. We'll get it fixed. Hang in there.

Thanks

KM
raging cricket wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:15 pm Clearing the cache is NOT working.
Let me repeat, I just did that yesterday, along with clearing out the cookies and it is STILL not working.
This is the year 2017, why in the world should I even have to clear out my cache to load up a website?
I do not have this problem anywhere else. Why is DLF not the same as every other website?
Why can you not fix the problem, Problem = DLF's crappy web mechanics.
This is on DLF to fix, not the user to fix the problem.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 am

Good thought, but Skip is correct. Your google profile would not be a factor. Thanks for the thought though, constructive spitballing is always welcome!
Valhalla wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am
skip wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 pm
Learn something new every day

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am

Hmm, very interesting, thank you for sharing Lotto. Glad to hear that it has improved for you. That is helpful to know.

Thanks
KM
Lotto4Life wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 am Problem seems to be fixed for me. Haven't changed anything in the last couple of weeks, and it started working about 3 days ago.

Now, to recover all the 100s of mind blowing posts that would change FFL forever that I typed but wasn't able to post over the past couple of months...

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 am

Bruiser wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:35 am I'm posting using my android phone for the first time in weeks. I've been able to login by using a chrome browser on my phone that I've never used. I have always used the stock browser that runs on my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone, but it is no longer supported by this site.
Weird Bruiser, what is happening? I have a galaxy S5 as well, the site works just fine on my native browser. What is not working for you there?

Thanks

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 am

Also interesting information, thanks for sharing!
thebeast wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 am I came here to vent a few days ago and decided to just clear my cache since the beginning of time for good measure. Voila, I don't seem to have the issue anymore.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 am

OK, if you are still experiencing issues, please try the following. I do not know if it will help, but it is one more possible fix for this behavior. It certainly would explain why this is working fine for some but not for others even across multiple browsers or platforms, as it is tied to your specific forum user account.
  • While logged into your account, click on the drop-down arrow next to your user name in the upper right part of the forum.
  • Click on the Profile link.
  • Click on Edit Profile.
  • On the left side, click on the menu option: Manage "Remember Me" Login Keys.
  • Scroll down if necessary and click on the Mark All link.
  • Click the Delete Marked button.
  • Log out of the forum.
  • If you have not done so recently, I would clear your browser cache (again) ensuring cookies are selected to be cleared.
  • Log back into the forum.
Please give this a try and let me know if you see any improvement.

Thanks

KM

operwapitsai
MVP
MVP

Postby operwapitsai » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm

DLF Staff & Writers,

I do truly love your content and writing, dont get me wrong I really really do. Thats why ive been paying all these years... However, with how poorly the site has been running in recent months I dont believe I will re-up my membership.

In the entire history of my internet career, I dont think I have ever been so frustrated with a single website. I dont consider myself internet savvy, but being blocked by the wall and having to log in EVERY time I click a new web page simply blows my mind in frustration.

FIX YOUR SITE PLEASE

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 am

operwapitsai wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 pm DLF Staff & Writers,

I do truly love your content and writing, dont get me wrong I really really do. Thats why ive been paying all these years... However, with how poorly the site has been running in recent months I dont believe I will re-up my membership.

In the entire history of my internet career, I dont think I have ever been so frustrated with a single website. I dont consider myself internet savvy, but being blocked by the wall and having to log in EVERY time I click a new web page simply blows my mind in frustration.

FIX YOUR SITE PLEASE
Thanks for the message, I just replied via email

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:54 am

Dlf_jaron, I appreciate your attention to this matter. I can attest to the frustration expressed above. I am only able to login and post from my phone if I switch browsers. This is a better alternative than not being able to login for weeks.

I really hope you find the problem.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.