Jonny Manziel poised for ComeBack?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Jonny Manziel poised for ComeBack?

Postby ArrylT » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:16 am

https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-s-kickoff-how ... -1.1152036

Can Manziel become more than just a footnote?

Interesting fact - Manziel is the 5th Heisman winner to try to succeed in the CFL in the past 30 years (since Flutie) and none have been successful so far ...
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

joshb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joshb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Oh I see that Johnny Manziel is playing on ESPN 2 let me just check and see how he's doing....aaaand he's got 3 picks and they're down 28-3.
12 team non-ppr
QB Murray, Stafford
RB JT, Chubb, A. Jones, Dobbins, D. Pierce, R. White, K. Miller
WR Deebo, Metcalf, Higgins, Juju, E. Moore, Toney, M. Wilson, T. Thornton
TE Schultz, Kincaid, Musgrave, Likely

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 pm

4 picks now...

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Not saying he'll get any better, but the Montreal front office should be ashamed of themselves for giving him one week to learn a completely different game and throwing him out there. It was a cynical ploy to move tickets and jerseys.

Credit Hamilton for running D plays to disguise the 12th man on the field. Very sharp scheming and he's fallen for it twice.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Dookmariot wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm Not saying he'll get any better, but the Montreal front office should be ashamed of themselves for giving him one week to learn a completely different game and throwing him out there. It was a cynical ploy to move tickets and jerseys.

Credit Hamilton for running D plays to disguise the 12th man on the field. Very sharp scheming and he's fallen for it twice.
In fairness, it is Week 8 in the CFL, so he’s had more than one week to learn the league. He had 8-9 days with the team for the playbook. It can be debated how much he should know in that period, but it is a poor performance regardless.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm
Dookmariot wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm Not saying he'll get any better, but the Montreal front office should be ashamed of themselves for giving him one week to learn a completely different game and throwing him out there. It was a cynical ploy to move tickets and jerseys.

In fairness, it is Week 8 in the CFL, so he’s had more than one week to learn the league. He had 8-9 days with the team for the playbook. It can be debated how much he should know in that period, but it is a poor performance regardless.
He might just plain suck, but for the season he's had all of four days practice with the first team offense. The transition to the CFL isn't easy. Even Doug Flutie...who was so much fun during his time up north...had a tough first year, and that was with regular reps. Sitting on the bench for 8 weeks is probably not the best way to learn to account for the rover safety, for instance.

Doesn't help that Montreal is the most talent poor and dysfunctional franchise in the league. At least the night life is top drawer...
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Who?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Dookmariot wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 pm
FiremanEd wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm

He might just plain suck, but for the season he's had all of four days practice with the first team offense. The transition to the CFL isn't easy. Even Doug Flutie...who was so much fun during his time up north...had a tough first year, and that was with regular reps. Sitting on the bench for 8 weeks is probably not the best way to learn to account for the rover safety, for instance.

Doesn't help that Montreal is the most talent poor and dysfunctional franchise in the league. At least the night life is top drawer...
Yes definitely not the start he was hoping for - but the score of the game was definitely not on him.

From what I saw, I felt that he showed flashes of creativity, improvisation, and poise in the pocket. Considering how poor the Montreal O-line was, it was surprising he only got sacked once, but obviously his athleticism has carried over from College.

I think his decision making needs work but considering he is basically a rookie, and it was his first professional start in over 2 years, that is to be expected. Of the 4 INTs, 2 were tipped passes, and one of them the receiver should have caught. That does not excuse his decision making, just noting that none of the throws he made were awful, and the Hamilton D is one of the strongest of the league and they got to prey on a QB they had on their team 2 weeks ago.

There were definitely times where he reminded me of Doug Flutie or Brett Favre.

As such, I think that he could definitely have success in the CFL - but whether or not that will occur is hard to say - like Dookmariot says the Alouettes are a mess right now - fallen on hard times (could be what the Patriots could expect after Brady), and it is going to be interesting to see how Manziel adapts and copes with the situation. So far the word is he's been showing a strong work ethic (watching lots of tape, working on memorizing playbook and understanding nuances of the CFL game).

The good news for those that are hopeful for Manziel to bust (again) in the NFL, or never make it back - is that I do not see him back in the NFL in 2019. Earliest would be 2020.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Glad everyone is being reasonable here.

Huge CFL fan here. While the stat line is horrendous a few of those picks weren't really his fault and Montreal is HORRIBLE. Like browns horrible.

I hope they give him a other few shots.
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:06 pm

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/09/ferguson- ... meets-eye/

What some would call an open-minded nuanced take, but others might consider a Manziel apologist take - all depends on your opinion and willingness to think outside the box I guess.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Apparently he ded
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 am

ArrylT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pmFrom what I saw, I felt that he showed flashes of creativity, improvisation, and poise in the pocket. Considering how poor the Montreal O-line was, it was surprising he only got sacked once, but obviously his athleticism has carried over from College.
When I was watching, his successful attempts to elude sacks became interceptions. Much better to lose yards than the ball. Some CFL concepts and practices won't translate to the NFL, but in both leagues you don't throw it when you've got a defender on you.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 am

Was at the game . Actually worked the game as a paramedic. Met Manziel , he's very humble and way down the earth .

I have access to the hallway near the dressing rooms and his teammates were rallying around him. They definitely view him as a leader and there is no garbage or selfish Manziel . Doesn't trash his teammates at all, very supportive .

As far as his play , well?

Trouble is the Montreal line is trash. Their team is the Browns of the CFL , his o weapons especially his WR are bad.

Regardless of all that, I don't see an NFL QB anymore. Maybe a backup but certainly not a starter. He missed a lot of throws
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:06 am

DJB wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 am Was at the game . Actually worked the game as a paramedic. Met Manziel , he's very humble and way down the earth .

I have access to the hallway near the dressing rooms and his teammates were rallying around him. They definitely view him as a leader and there is no garbage or selfish Manziel . Doesn't trash his teammates at all, very supportive .

As far as his play , well?

Trouble is the Montreal line is trash. Their team is the Browns of the CFL , his o weapons especially his WR are bad.

Regardless of all that, I don't see an NFL QB anymore. Maybe a backup but certainly not a starter. He missed a lot of throws
The game in Montreal or Ottawa? Either way kewl story and thanks for sharing! 8-) :thumbup:

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 am

In Ottawa
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff