Jonny Manziel poised for ComeBack?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: Jonny Manziel poised for ComeBack?

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:23 am

Considering the Canadian team was forced to do it in order to keep his negotiation rights for another year, I'm guessing the offer isn't generous.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 am

I'm not a big CFL follower but I can tell you that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (in the small 9 team CFL) are basically the CFLs equivalent of the Cleveland Browns, basically a once proud organization thats gone through a long stretch of mediocrity and/or futility. In a league where 6 of 8/9 teams make the playoffs the Tiger-Cats went through a stretch of 7 years last decade where they made the playoffs ONCE. Thats right your odds of making the playoffs in the CFL are close to 75% and the Tiger-Cats missed out 6 of 7 times.

Every other team has won the Grey Cup at least 2x since the Tiger-Cats last title appearance in 1999 - except for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers who are the CFLs version of an NFL team that makes the playoffs but does nothing in them.

Anyways their head coach June Jones (who has NFL coaching experience) is on record as saying Johnny Manziel would be their best QB and would be a great fit for the CFL.

So basically, while I agree that the offer may in part be just to keep his negotiation rights, at the same time it is likely serious enough (in the minds of the Tiger Cats) to try and get Manziel to sign. Basically he would be their version the Browns signing of RGIII.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:00 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 am Anyways their head coach June Jones (who has NFL coaching experience) is on record as saying Johnny Manziel would be their best QB and would be a great fit for the CFL.
Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in a LONG time. Atlanta Falcons if I remember correctly?

I don't recall him being that great of a coach. Run & Shoot offense I think... Interesting to see he's still coaching.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 am

Yeah the Falcons with a cup of coffee for the Chargers - then he went to (or back to?) college for a while and then got hired by the Tiger-Cats last year, after the season started. He took over as HC after they started like 0-8 and they finished out 6-4 for a 6-12 record.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 am
Dookmariot wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:21 pm I think the QBs Hamilton started this season are better pros than Manziel - and the Ti-Cats were not good. I doubt he makes it out of camp - that's if he's even signed.
Just for reference, you college fans will probably know the names of these guys: Zack Collaros & Jeremiah Masoli. Everett Golson is also on their team. Personally, if Manziel is truly committed, I think he'll blow these guys away.
Your last point is the key one. Manziel has more talent, but Collaros (since traded) and Masoli - to this point, anyway - have worked harder.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

ArrylT wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 am Yeah the Falcons with a cup of coffee for the Chargers - then he went to (or back to?) college for a while and then got hired by the Tiger-Cats last year, after the season started. He took over as HC after they started like 0-8 and they finished out 6-4 for a 6-12 record.
And Jones immediately tried to hire his ol' buddy Art Briles as his offensive co-ordinator, while the Baylor scandal was still smouldering. The CFL commish stepped into to stamp out that PR disaster.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Looks like he's given up on the CFL and going all in for an NFL tryout

plus as it turns out he is bi-polar

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Johnny-Manzi ... -115275284

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/j ... -1.4534995

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 pm

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 am

Well, if indeed he'll play for literally nothing, then I suppose there actually is some chance he could reappear in the NFL. Not as a starter, of course, but practice-squad, camp-body, that sort of thing? Seems plausible.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 am

If he'll play for 800k of no guaranteed money, why wouldn't a team bring him in as their QB3?

Unless they fear the locker room and media distraction isn't worth even that
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:00 pm

hockeyBjj wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 amIf he'll play for 800k of no guaranteed money, why wouldn't a team bring him in as their QB3?

That's exactly why. It's the same reason many teams hesitated to sign Tim Tebow. In theory Manziel's upside is worth the low risk / salary, but the incessant media questions and fan pressure to play him would probably stop many coaches and GMs from taking that chance. I hope things pan out for Manziel because I believe there's talent there, but I'm not holding out hope in dynasty leagues.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:00 pm
hockeyBjj wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 amIf he'll play for 800k of no guaranteed money, why wouldn't a team bring him in as their QB3?

That's exactly why. It's the same reason many teams hesitated to sign Tim Tebow. In theory Manziel's upside is worth the low risk / salary, but the incessant media questions and fan pressure to play him would probably stop many coaches and GMs from taking that chance. I hope things pan out for Manziel because I believe there's talent there, but I'm not holding out hope in dynasty leagues.
I think it'll be more like Vick, but without the hatred from the fan base. He's a positive story for the most part and if he falls off or mouths off from the bench, he's an easy cut. I also don't think there will be that many people clamouring to see him play unless he goes to Jacksonville or somewhere like that. Put him in Seattle behind Russell Wilson. No one is going to call for him to play, but might be nice to have some insurance with how much of a beating Wilson takes.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 pm

ericanadian wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm I think it'll be more like Vick, but without the hatred from the fan base. He's a positive story for the most part and if he falls off or mouths off from the bench, he's an easy cut. I also don't think there will be that many people clamouring to see him play unless he goes to Jacksonville or somewhere like that.
Which makes him more like Tebow who was nothing but a positive story somehow demonized by the media and fantasy community. He deserved a much longer tenure in the NFL, unlike Manziel.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joh ... -patriots/

Apparently he'd love to play for the Patriots

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:44 pm

There couldn't be less of a cultural fit.😂
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D