Jonny Manziel poised for ComeBack?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jonny Manziel poised for ComeBack?

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 am

TT still has more playoff wins than sam bradford andy dalton and kirk cousins and their half of a billion $ have combined for and the same amount as carson palmer and blake bortles. Tebow got railroaded out of the league because he wasn't pretty doing his job and all the jaworski type qb worshipers railed about how he went about his work. Thus the NFL teams that always follow the leader and play it safe were quick to dismiss him in favor of the dan orlovskys or landry jones of the world. That herd group think mentality is the sole reason I cannot fully embrace hating the patriots despite the cheating scandals and the fact the have cost my steelers more than one shot at a super bowl- Belichick does his own thing and DGAF about what the rest of the league is doing and that type of original thinking is to be admired .

I would much rather have had him leading a team I was rooting for than so many of the empty suits that lead NFL teams during his tenure and since he went away . I believe he would have lead those very talented bengals teams to at least a few playoff wins that dalton has withered away , I also would not have been surprised to see him lead this past years jags to to a lombardi they were so stout on defense and he is at least the thrower that bortles has been lately and much more of a gamer when it matters.
He was the 1st victim on ESTMZ style NFL coverage that hopefully leads to the world wide bottom feeder to go the way of the dodo !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:35 pm

skip wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:56 am
Goirish374 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:33 am
ArrylT wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 pm Actually I agree that the media plays a key role in how perception is made.
oh, absolutely...i just have the complete opposite recollection of the relationship between tebow and the media.
I guess I shall rephrase because it wasn't exactly the media that demonized him (though some elements did). The media "circus" surrounding Tebow and the fact that he was TOO GOOD ( as opposed to Manziel who was far, far from it )...ultimately had the effect of demonizing Tebow in the minds of many. For no reason. It's rather striking to me that people want so badly for guys like Manziel (Gordon, Martavis, Kaepernick...) to make their way back into the league but want nothing more than to run good people out of it. I'd much, much rather see Tebow get a shot again than Manziel.
The only thing that I didn't like about Tebow was how heavily brand focused he was. When he copyrighted "Tebowing", it was a bit much for me. That said, Denver giving up on him so quickly made no sense to me. They won a lot of games with him and it was hard to argue that those wins were in spite of him when that same team was losing games with Orton at the helm. They also had the perfect opportunity to let him sit on the bench and learn when they brought in Peyton Manning. He couldn't have been any worse than the Brock Lobster.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/one- ... -in-texas/

Teams sending scouts to watch Manziel practice at Spring League according to this article.

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/sta ... 2956687360

Charles Robinson tweet about teams at Spring League Practices
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 pm

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 am

https://www.tsn.ca/manziel-set-to-see-f ... -1.1100224

Manziel to make first Football action (since Spring League) :)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:56 am

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/m ... cfl-debut/

Review from Manziels first professional game experience (if you exclude Spring League) in 2 years

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:22 am

As an Argo fan, I watched the whole thing. Showed some nice creativity, and had poise, but caveats that it was against a vanilla D made up of CFL second and third stringers. He made zero throws to push downfield, too.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Dontrelle Inman was an instant stud in the CFL. Now he can't even get an NFL team to sign him this offseason. Johnny has a long way to go.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:52 pm Dontrelle Inman was an instant stud in the CFL. Now he can't even get an NFL team to sign him this offseason. Johnny has a long way to go.
You skipped the part where he was originally an UDFA, and after his success in the CFL, signed with SD for 4 years and had a WR4 season in 2016 - he was the counterpart to Tyrell Williams after Keenan Allen went down in 2016. His groin / hernia issues throughout the 2017 offseason lingered into the pre-season and pretty much made him an afterthought once Keenan Allen proved he was back. Then he had a cup of coffee with Chicago and actually did ok for a WR walking into a new team mid-season.

I wouldnt be surprised if a team that has WR injuries over the next few months takes a flier on Inman again.

I definitely agree that Johnny Manziel has a long way to go - and I would say his odds are about as slim as those of 4th Round pick (ie less than 5%) - just that equating a 29 yr old WR former UDFA history and projecting it to a 25 yr old QB former 1st round pick with name cache is a bit of a stretch. And Inman can be considered a success story for most UDFAs. Whereas Johhny Manziel is still a cautionary tale until he continues to prove he is no longer the same Johnny Football he was in 2014-15. So if Johnny Manziel has success with the CFL I would not be surprised if the Doug Flutie / Warren Moon memories (warranted or otherwise) means that NFL teams will come seeking him (rather than Inman seeking NFL job).

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:10 pm

The point is simply that Inman was an instant success in the CFL after the NFL snubbed him, and later it still didn't translate to him being more than a low-end journeyman NFL player that may already be in forced retirement.

So if Manziel isn't an instant CFL success himself, then his chances of ever mattering to us again in FF are especially pessimistic. This is what I'm saying.

I've rostered Inman in dynasty, and once had hopes for him. Believe me, I know everything about his career arc.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:25 pm

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Does it count if it's preseason? Update this thread when he's the starting QB. He's averaging 5.4 ypa on his passes, so I'm guessing he's still got a ways to go there.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Saw both games. Looks like he's still a competitor, but it makes you wonder when he hasn't thrown even a pass of intermediate depth yet.

Masoli isn't a huge obstacle, though. He's terribly inaccurate in a league when the top guys are pocket passers.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:56 am

Well, Masoli has ripped it up to start the season, so it looks like Manziel won't see the field anytime soon barring an injury.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:49 am

If ever there were a closer in the NFL, it should be Tebow. The 4th quarter was always his best, statistically. And it seemed like every time he got the ball with 2 minutes to go, he found a way to win. Can’t even remember how many times he turned it around in the 4th.
The standard is the standard.