Are J. Gordon and M. Bryant roster cloggers?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Are J. Gordon and M. Bryant roster cloggers?

Postby Valhalla » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

maxhyde wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:09 am Hold and hope but not quite roster cloggers
I think someone HAS to have hope associated with them to be a roster clogger. If they are a clear drop, then they won't clog rosters. To me a roster clogger is that guy that you just can't drop because of the "what if" associated with them, but by having them take space it's harder to churn the waiver wire. They don't contribute to your lineup whatsoever, but do clog the waiver flow and make you have to do things like drop a good D on their bye week.
So yes, they are definitely roster cloggers. But as with any roster clogger, there is hope. You just need to decide the point at which waiver flexibility becomes more important.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Depends on what you'd be dropping them for. I can see the appeal and why people have such a hard time "quitting" them, but if you can get anything of value for either one, do it immediately.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:27 pm

maxhyde wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:09 am I own Gordon and Bryant on several different teams. Hold and hope but not quite roster cloggers
This for me. Have to be a pretty shallow league to consider either of them a burden on a roster. If you're looking to sell, give Bryant until reinstatement this off season and OTA's to start before you shop him. Gordon isn't worth anything UNLESS he gets reinstated so he is a solid hold for me. Besides, if you have him, you've likely held through the season. Why drop him now?
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm

I still think it's hilarious that, 4 years after his WR1 season, 2 league suspensions, 1 team suspension, 1 rehab check in and a ton of failed drug tests, that there are still a ton of people holding Gordon.

At what point does it end? This man hasn't played anything close to a full season of football in three years. Doesn't anyone get tired of playing Groundhog's Day with these idiots?

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm

I think Gordon is a lost cause and a roster clogger, Martavis is a very risky play but is a different scenario and worth the gamble if you're an owner who's been holding him up to this point already.

They've both failed multiple drug tests, but as Cameron Giles said above, Gordon is now waaaaaay removed from his (brief) glory days in the league, and throughout this time while multiple statements have come out periodically talking up how Gordon is focused back on football, the facts have proven otherwise. This is a guy who should have been living like a monk from the very instant he received his last/umpteenth suspension - but instead he became best buds with Manziel and was seen partying with him all over the place. Immediately upon being reinstated back by Goodell last spring Gordon didn't last even a single regular season game - he shut himself down for the season and checked into a rehab facility. Basically what owners want to believe vs what Gordon has been doing are two different things. His owners are basically being teased by him every time they think he's finally "back". This dude legitimately will never get it, imo.

Martavis seems to be genuinely making the significant changes you'd expect from a guy who's struggled with drug use/suspensions. He's been away from the public eye this entire time, moved down to Houston for rehab, then his agent said he'd spend the year away, training in Nevada and volunteering at a local h.s coaching WR's, and he's actually been doing exactly that as seen in that recent SI interview. In that same interview he said he cut a lot of people out of his circle and sold his Hermosa Beach house in California, too.

At the end of the day both of these guys have failed multiple tests and let owners down before, and both are just one last failed drug test away from a lifetime ban. But at least Martavis was starter material as recently as 2015 and seems to be taking his last chance seriously, unlike Gordon.
#FreeCoreyDavis

HEADBANGER
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby HEADBANGER » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:47 am

I see neither Gordon or Bryant as roster cloggers. I am holding onto Gordon for now even in a short bench league (no shares in Bryant, price tag still too high). I would rather hold Gordon over bunch of players that will get me 6-10 points per week just to fill out a roster. I rather hold him for the home run if he comes back and strike out if he doesn't then getting a guy that can get me a single and never win games, if that makes sense. I cut guys like Humphries, Gin, and the year before Torry Smith (sadly Blount too) to make room.

When roster cuts are due again right before the season starts, if there is no positive news on Gordon he is a cut. I held him long enough and the price was low.

Bryant is in similar boat as Gordon was last year and probably reinstated before the OTA or at minimum before pre season. Bryant should be rostered in all leagues for his ceiling, he has proven he can ball and all the main pieces in Pittsburgh are coming back.
FF Player for 32 years, dynasty for the last 10 years.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:30 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm I still think it's hilarious that, 4 years after his WR1 season, 2 league suspensions, 1 team suspension, 1 rehab check in and a ton of failed drug tests, that there are still a ton of people holding Gordon.

At what point does it end? This man hasn't played anything close to a full season of football in three years. Doesn't anyone get tired of playing Groundhog's Day with these idiots?
Other than you I can't say for sure. Keenan Allen hasn't played a full season in 3 years either so while I get the relevance it is sort of not the point
I agree that Gordon for sure is a long way removed but he kinda was when he entered the NFL too. I still roster Calvin and Lynch too in different places so I guess I just think talent is worth hanging onto despite situation sometimes. Imo you are foolish to NOT roster Gordon or Bryant in dynasty because unlike some guys on my roster they are actually legitimately good at football.
We are all going to have rookie drafts this year and take some players that are questionable at best at whether they should be rostered at all but I have 0 question whether Gordon or Bryant should be.
Both are going to be worth at least 1st round picks if/when re-instated. Looking back it was a horrible decision to not sell post-2013 but also impossible to run any fantasy team effectively using hindsight...
I'd rather waste time thinking about what I can do to improve my team than reflect on hypothetical moves I could have made and where I would be now
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:11 am

^^^ 9500 + posts of wisdom distilled down to a few sentences folks ! take what mr. hyde says to the bank ! coulda woulda shoulda don't pay the rent ! I have divested but if you have them you can likely do far worse at the end of your roster so don't sweat it just make future moves to get better and should either or both come back and reach their potential you will get the best last laugh !

Both are going to be worth at least 1st round picks if/when re-instated. Looking back it was a horrible decision to not sell post-2013 but also impossible to run any fantasy team effectively using hindsight...
I'd rather waste time thinking about what I can do to improve my team than reflect on hypothetical moves I could have made and where I would be now
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 am

I just offered my Chris Hogan and a future 2nd for Gordon to Melish.... He's rejected every offer I've made for him over the last 3 years.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:39 am

MARKinMI wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 am I just offered my Chris Hogan and a future 2nd for Gordon to Melish.... He's rejected every offer I've made for him over the last 3 years.
Feel fortunate he rejected. Gordon is almost past being a roster clogger and is pure waiver material at this point. I wouldn't pick him up if he was available.

I do own M. Bryant, and as he looks poised to come back this season I don't think we can quite label him a definitive roster clogger yet. Another suspension before during or after this season and he's in Gordon territory.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Minnkota
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Minnkota » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:54 am

Oh boy, it is being reported that Gordon might be ready to apply for reinstatement......the saga continues.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1879 ... nstatement
12 Team, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (ppr) 30 man
QB-Rivers, Smith
RB-Gurley, Kerryon, DFreeman, CJ Anderson, Burkhead, Ware, Jonathan Williams, Carson, Kelly
WR-Evans, Cooks, Keenan, Diggs, Fuller, Miller, Meredith, J Gordon, JBrown, Hollins, Watson, Chadwill
TE-Gronk, Engram, Hurst, Seals-Jones

12 Team--1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (ppr) 30 man
QB-Big Ben, Dalton
RB-Freeman, Ingram, Hyde, Gallman, Richard
WR-Evans, Arob, Golladay, CDavis, Marv. Jones, Gordon, Meredith, Gabriel, Richardson, Reynolds, Watson
TE-Kelce, Burton, Butt,

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am

Gordon is applying for reinstatement again today. Trade offers hitting inboxes in 5... 4... 3...
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

REPTAR
Captain
Captain

Postby REPTAR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am Gordon is applying for reinstatement again today. Trade offers hitting inboxes in 5... 4... 3...
Here we go again...

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm I still think it's hilarious that, 4 years after his WR1 season, 2 league suspensions, 1 team suspension, 1 rehab check in and a ton of failed drug tests, that there are still a ton of people holding Gordon.

I do Giles. That's why I trade them if I can, or cut them, as soon as the 1-year ban threshold is reached. I don't believe it's worth taking up the roster space. And really, if you've been holding Gordon for three-years, how is he not a roster clogger? That's the very definition. Zero return for nearly three years, all the while taking up space.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:37 pm

I do Giles. That's why I trade them if I can, or cut them, as soon as the 1-year ban threshold is reached. I don't believe it's worth taking up the roster space. And really, if you've been holding Gordon for three-years, how is he not a roster clogger? That's the very definition. Zero return for nearly three years, all the while taking up space.
Yeah I should go lock up Alfred Blue instead :thumbdown:
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams