Hypothetical Startup Scenario

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Hypothetical Startup Scenario

Postby pierson242 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 am

pokerface40 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 am I just finished a startup, albeit with several DLFers, so now they will know my DLF identity, oh well. Anyway here is the setup:

12 Team PPR Superflex, TE Premium (1.5 PPR) 28 man rosters 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1 Superflex

At first my mindset entering the draft is that I wanted to go young, and try to acquire a few of the top 2017 rookie picks. They were included in the draft and I was ready to reach if necessary. A twist on the draft is that it's a Banzai draft (3rd round reversal, reverting back to snake after the 4th round). We had a dice roll to choose draft slots. I got a good roll and chose the 1.11 slot. Then the draft begun....

At 1.11 the obvious, hands down choice was AB. I tried to trade down with no luck, so took him. Two picks later I chose to stick with my strategy and took the 2017 rookie 1.01 with my 2.02 startup pick. Yes I know it was a reach, which is a common theme throughout my draft. I then put AB on the block, and flipped him for the 2.09 startup pick + a 2018 1st. At 2.09 I took the 2017 1.02 rookie. At 3.02 startup I took the 1.03 rookie. At 4.02 startup I took the 1.04 rookie. In the 5th and 6th rounds (5.04, 6.02 startup) I took Landry and Moncrief. I could have taken the 1.05 and 1.06 rookie picks but passed, as I'm huge on Landry and Moncrief and felt those were too good of values to pass up.

The remainder of the draft I took either rookie picks or young guys I like. I punted the 2 positions that seem to get a bump in this format in QB and TE. This was not on purpose but rather how the board fell. I tried to get a QB early but every time I targeted a guy: Dak, Wentz, etc. he was sniped, so I chugged along.

As I said the draft just ended, and I already made one trade: Gave: Jarvis Landry Received: 2 2018 1sts, 2017 4.01

After the draft and this big trade here is how my roster looks:

QB: Garoppolo, Bradford, RG3, Savage
RB: Dixon, Duke J, Lasco, Karlos W
WR: Moncrief, Conley, Pharoh, Smelter, Devin Smith
TE: V. McDonald, Derby, Pruitt, Rico Gathers

2017 picks: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 1.08, 2.02, 2.07, 2.11, 3.01, 3.02, 4.01
2018 picks: Four 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Yes I know this goes against the grain to try and win it every year. And I know I left value on the board both in the startup and in my trades. But the fact is I am doing this for the same reason we all do dynasty, fun. It is going to be fun having the top 4 picks this year, and already 4 picks next year. I posted to this thread as sort of a case study in going super young and rookie heavy.

The link to the draft is here: http://www60.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... 5063&O=17

Let me know your thoughts!
I just cant believe you trade Antonio Brown for basically the 2.09 and a 2018 1st
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 am

pierson242 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 amI just cant believe you trade Antonio Brown for basically the 2.09 and a 2018 1st
Yah, I thought that was a steal too. With guys like AJG, Dez, Matt Ryan, Cooks, etc. still on the board, there's no way I'd have added a first to the 2.09 just for AB. Pokerface killed it on that one.
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

jeaton6
Captain
Captain

Postby jeaton6 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm

DonBrazi wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 am
pierson242 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 amI just cant believe you trade Antonio Brown for basically the 2.09 and a 2018 1st
Yah, I thought that was a steal too. With guys like AJG, Dez, Matt Ryan, Cooks, etc. still on the board, there's no way I'd have added a first to the 2.09 just for AB. Pokerface killed it on that one.
I think he is saying that he undersold Antonio Brown
Team 1 (Sunday Collisions): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 27 Roster
**6 straight championships**
QB: Allen, Watson, Prescott, Purdy, Darnold, Ridder
RB: Taylor, Ekeler, Mixon, Cook, Mattison, Kelley, Blackshear
WR: Adams, Diggs, Devonta Smith, Diontae Johnson, Richie James, Van Jefferson, Landry, Duvernay
TE: Kelce, Ruckert
PK: Bass, Dicker
DEF: Ravens, Jets, Chiefs, Bucs
2023 Picks: 2.5

Team 2 (Shakeweight): 12 Team PPR: QB/2 RB/3 WR/TE/Flex 25 Roster, 3 man rookie taxi

QB: Burrow, Cousins
RB: McCaffrey, Barkley, Jacobs, Gibson, Dillon, Patterson, Mason, Blackshear, Hilliard
WR: Tyreek, Juju, Diontae Johnson, Thielen, Bateman, Claypool, Landry, Corey Davis, Thornton
TE: Kelce, Hockenson, Engram
PK: Gano, Succop
DEF: Jets, Bucs
Taxi: Airton, Likely, Ferguson
2023 Picks: 1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2,3, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 am

ewalling wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm
DonBrazi wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 am
I think he is saying that he undersold Antonio Brown
Correct! Not a very good trade for the guy SELLING AB
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

Prickler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Prickler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 pm

pokerface40 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 am I just finished a startup, albeit with several DLFers, so now they will know my DLF identity, oh well. Anyway here is the setup:

12 Team PPR Superflex, TE Premium (1.5 PPR) 28 man rosters 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1 Superflex

At first my mindset entering the draft is that I wanted to go young, and try to acquire a few of the top 2017 rookie picks. They were included in the draft and I was ready to reach if necessary. A twist on the draft is that it's a Banzai draft (3rd round reversal, reverting back to snake after the 4th round). We had a dice roll to choose draft slots. I got a good roll and chose the 1.11 slot. Then the draft begun....

At 1.11 the obvious, hands down choice was AB. I tried to trade down with no luck, so took him. Two picks later I chose to stick with my strategy and took the 2017 rookie 1.01 with my 2.02 startup pick. Yes I know it was a reach, which is a common theme throughout my draft. I then put AB on the block, and flipped him for the 2.09 startup pick + a 2018 1st. At 2.09 I took the 2017 1.02 rookie. At 3.02 startup I took the 1.03 rookie. At 4.02 startup I took the 1.04 rookie. In the 5th and 6th rounds (5.04, 6.02 startup) I took Landry and Moncrief. I could have taken the 1.05 and 1.06 rookie picks but passed, as I'm huge on Landry and Moncrief and felt those were too good of values to pass up.

The remainder of the draft I took either rookie picks or young guys I like. I punted the 2 positions that seem to get a bump in this format in QB and TE. This was not on purpose but rather how the board fell. I tried to get a QB early but every time I targeted a guy: Dak, Wentz, etc. he was sniped, so I chugged along.

As I said the draft just ended, and I already made one trade: Gave: Jarvis Landry Received: 2 2018 1sts, 2017 4.01

Yes I know this goes against the grain to try and win it every year. And I know I left value on the board both in the startup and in my trades. But the fact is I am doing this for the same reason we all do dynasty, fun. It is going to be fun having the top 4 picks this year, and already 4 picks next year. I posted to this thread as sort of a case study in going super young and rookie heavy.

The link to the draft is here: http://www60.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... 5063&O=17

I'd be concerned about what you did simply from the fact that 1st round picks are still only 50% chance give or take to be a top 24 positional player. Obviously the top 4 picks are more likely to hit than bust, but there's still a very real possibility that one of those picks turns into a Bishop Sankey/Trent Richardson. I personally prefer proven players early in a startup but if all 4 of the top picks hit than you are in good shape. I agree, fantasy is played for fun and I have a bunch of teams myself that have intriguing strategies just for the thrill of the unknown yet high upside potential. Good luck.

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 am

I would take AB over 2.09 + 18' first round pick easily, but given the strategy here can work.

Usually I think that trading down from a start-up first round is a bad idea, but in a 2014 i did this and ended taking Evans, Watkins, Cooks and Hyde (And Ladarius Green :sigh:) . Then had the 1.01 to take Gurley the following year.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 am

And the hell Dez and AJG so low ? This is ... :wall:
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:08 pm

ajmyk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 am And the hell Dez and AJG so low ? This is ... :wall:
While I agree they fell a bit, nothing too crazy went before them. QBs were flying off the board so I think Dak and Ryan were a bit of a reach over Dez and AJG. I would also have them both over Cooks, but others would disagree. The other questionable pick was my own, taking the 1.02. But once I reached on the 1.01 and traded away AB rather cheaply, my strategy was clear.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 am

Thought I'd bump this up after our rookie draft. I've made a few minor trades along the way, and also gave up my entire BBID$ budget for the year to acquire Marshawn Lynch (obviously to flip down the line, hopefully). Anyway I'll get to the draft, this is who I took:

1.01 - Davis
1.02 - Fournette
1.03 - Mixon
1.04 - McCaffrey
1.08 - Mahomes
1.09 - M. Williams
2.07 - Zay Jones

I traded up to the 1.09 while I was on the clock at 1.08 in order to secure Williams and Mahomes(Gave up the 2.02, 2.11, 3.01. Maybe a bit steep but with Williams falling I wanted to ensure I got him there). I didn't have the 3.02 or 4.01 due to predraft trades(gave the 3.02 for Higbee before the NFL draft, ugh, and the 4.01 for Dion Lewis). Also traded away a 2018 3rd for Josh Dobbs.

My roster as of now:

QB: Bradford, Garoppolo, Mahomes, Dobbs, Savage, RG3, McCoy
RB: Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey, M. Lynch, Dixon, Duke J, D. Lewis, Karlos
WR: C. Davis, M. Williams, Moncrief, Zay, Conley, Higgins, P. Cooper, Smelter, B. Coleman
TE: V. McDonald, AJ Derby, Higbee, Rico

2018 picks: 4 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 2 4ths

So there you have it. The experiment continues taking the 1.01 - 1.04 rookie slots for the first 4 picks in a startup, SF, TE premium league. Will update at some point down the line, if there is interest.....

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Fri May 26, 2017 11:44 am

I took on a similar approach this year and here's the bulk of my team:

Winston, Wentz
Henry, Kamara, Foreman, Gallman, McNichols
Parker, M. Williams, Doctson, Ross, White, Fuller, C. Williams, A. Stewart
Howard, Engram, Shaheen

6 future 1sts

I think for the most part it allows you to maintain roster value throughout the first couple of years and allows you to either build through the draft or trade picks and young guys for more proven assets.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Fri May 26, 2017 5:59 pm

I'll be intrigued to know how those go for you guys. I just couldn't be that patient or spend that much knowing my chance to collect is years away. I have taken a few orphans where that strategy is the only option but certainly wouldn't be a concious choice I would make in a startup
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Here's the link to the Catch 22 league I'm in. With one season and the rookie draft behind us, here's what Whalen's team looks like:

Bradford, Sam
Flacco, Joe
Lynch, Paxton

Cook, Dalvin
Fournette, Leonard
Gillislee, Mike
Hunt, Kareem
Kamara, Alvin
McCaffrey, Christian
McNichols, Jeremy
Mixon, Joe

Britt, Kenny
Davis, Corey
Jones, Zay
Patterson, Cordarrelle
Ross, John
Smith-Schuster, JuJu
Thielen, Adam
Williams, Mike

Cook, Jared
Engram, Evan
Howard, O.J

When I look at the other rosters, it's hard to see that team winning this season. He did hit on a few free agents though, which helps a lot (Thielen, Britt). Maybe next season? It will be interesting to see all the Catch 22 leagues next year.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 am

jeffster wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm Here's the link to the Catch 22 league I'm in. With one season and the rookie draft behind us, here's what Whalen's team looks like:

Bradford, Sam
Flacco, Joe
Lynch, Paxton

Cook, Dalvin
Fournette, Leonard
Gillislee, Mike
Hunt, Kareem
Kamara, Alvin
McCaffrey, Christian
McNichols, Jeremy
Mixon, Joe

Britt, Kenny
Davis, Corey
Jones, Zay
Patterson, Cordarrelle
Ross, John
Smith-Schuster, JuJu
Thielen, Adam
Williams, Mike

Cook, Jared
Engram, Evan
Howard, O.J

When I look at the other rosters, it's hard to see that team winning this season. He did hit on a few free agents though, which helps a lot (Thielen, Britt). Maybe next season? It will be interesting to see all the Catch 22 leagues next year.
Here's the link to my Catch 22 league: http://www60.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/79434#0
My roster is the Vermont Expos