When to throw in the towel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ottie124
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

When to throw in the towel

Postby Ottie124 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Alright, wrapping up season 3 right now. So far I have placed 7th, 8th, and 7th out of 10. Almost every trade I have made was bad or somehow backfired. The leagues fun but I just don't see myself being very competitive and this is a highly competitive league. I have bought into next season due to a draft pick trade but at what point should I just bow out and let someone else take over?
D. Prescott and Dalton
T. Gurley, Kareem Hunt, C McCaffery, and Carlos Hyde
A.J. Green, Sutton, D. Thomas, M. Crabtree, M. Goodwin, Desean Jackson, Enunwa,
Kittle, D. Walker, ASJ
10 team PPR

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: When to throw in the towel

Postby Phaded » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:06 pm

In my honest opinion?

You don't.

schiewerma21
All Pro
All Pro

Postby schiewerma21 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Yea man respectively that's not the way to look at dynasty. Have you struggled? Sure. But lots of teams are in the cellar for many years including a lot of us on this forum.

The biggest thing is stay informed and stay active. If you have a question on a trade post it. People are always willing to help and especially so if you give your opinion on their questions!

Don't get discouraged. When you start becoming a playoff team and eventually win that thing it will be the ultimate reward!
TEAM 1: 12 man PPR (.25 passing and rushing attempt) dynasty league
QB:Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Zach Wilson
RB: Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift
WR: Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Deandre Hopkins, Chris Godwin, Jamaar Chase, Allen Robinson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry

TEAM 2: 10 MAN Superflex. (standard PPR).
QB: Mahomes, Wilson, Stafford, Wentz, Jimmy G
RB: Mccaffrey, Zeke, Javonte, Akers, Jacobs, Edmonds, Henderson, Fournette, Pollard
WR: Adams, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Aiyuk, Odell Beckham, Devonta Smith Julio,Shenault
TE: Travis Kelce, George Kittle

TEAM 3:10 MAN PPR (2 QUARTERBACK LEAGUE took over orphan 2016) Dynasty League
QB: Dak, Lamar, Tua, Winston, Bridgewater,
RB: Mccaffrey, Henry, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Mike Davis
WR: Aj Brown, Terry Mclaurin, Theilen, Godwin, Juedy, Sutton, Watkins, Davis, Crowder
TE: Waller, Engram, Geodtert
2021picks: 1.10,3.10

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:16 pm

You throw in the towel when you're not enjoying it anymore. This isn't a marriage. You don't have a long-term commitment to the league. This is a hobby.

That said, a string of bad results doesn't mean you're not good at dynasty. Looks like a shallow league, which means it's going to be driven largely by luck, honestly. If you can afford to keep losing and you're enjoying the interactions, then embrace the challenge of turning around a tough-luck squad.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 pm

First question, what makes it highly competitive (in comparison to other leagues)? Besides free leagues, which plenty of people say can be competitive, how does this particular leagues competitiveness factor into your thoug process? I would say don't quit, but at some point a league finishes or certain members move on, similar to Jules sentiments above. I would at least try and find a replacement for your team if you can. The League would appreciate that, especially since three years is fairly early to be leaving a dynasty league. Not crazy early, but some people draft their startup with the idea of not necessarily competing til around year three. Not me, but some do.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:07 pm

dlf_jules wrote:You throw in the towel when you're not enjoying it anymore. This isn't a marriage. You don't have a long-term commitment to the league. This is a hobby.

That said, a string of bad results doesn't mean you're not good at dynasty. Looks like a shallow league, which means it's going to be driven largely by luck, honestly. If you can afford to keep losing and you're enjoying the interactions, then embrace the challenge of turning around a tough-luck squad.
I came here to say this (but probably not as well). You can quit if you don't like it, but a lot of people enjoy managing a team as they try to climb out of obscurity. Just do what you want to do.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Ottie124
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ottie124 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Everyone's very active and knowledgeable in the league and we all know each other. So it's fun, however, I just don't really see being able to become/stay competitive. My team was fairly stagnant for awhile so I have worked on that. But I think my trades have put me in a worse situation than before. Wouldn't leave the league without a replacement in place.
D. Prescott and Dalton
T. Gurley, Kareem Hunt, C McCaffery, and Carlos Hyde
A.J. Green, Sutton, D. Thomas, M. Crabtree, M. Goodwin, Desean Jackson, Enunwa,
Kittle, D. Walker, ASJ
10 team PPR

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:36 pm

When it's no longer fun or financially feasible, it's time to go. Just find a replacement.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Your team isn't bad...ride this thing out unless you hate it. A good, young QB. Some nice young RBs in Gurley, Hyde, Dixon. A stud WR1 in AJG, and some upside guys (White, Coco, and Boyd). You will need to find a younger TE, but Walker is solid.

You will add either Fournette, Cook, Williams, or Davis at 1.4. I can't read from your Sig what other picks (it is confusing) you have, but this team has promise...it just needs to ripen a little.
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:57 am

Your team doesn't look so bad. Especially with draft picks

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:21 am

If your enjoyment of the league isn't worth the buy-in anymore, then leave.

But otherwise, fantasy football is so largely driven by luck and timing that anyone could realistically win it. Think abuot it, Bilal Powell and Taylor Gabriel might win someone a championship this year.

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:57 am

I'd be happy to have your roster. Lots of potential. Sometimes things just don't go your way. It happens. I've seen (and owned) a number of teams that have gone from worst to first in one year because of breaks. Hang in there man. It'll get better and become more and more addicting as you go.

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:36 pm

I consider myself good at fantasy football. I tend to build competitive teams in all my leagues. With that said, my most recent startup has been a disaster. I gambled on the startup draft and ended up with a horrible team. I made some trades to acquire draft picks and high potential players. So far, almost none of those things have panned out. I have almost the entire 1st round of this past rookie draft and few, if any, are looking promising so far. Almost all trades I've made have back fired in this league, whereas many/most of my trades in other leagues have been a success.

It's just one of those things that happens in fantasy. I'll stick it out and will in time be competitive. You will too I'm sure.

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Ottie124 wrote:Alright, wrapping up season 3 right now. So far I have placed 7th, 8th, and 7th out of 10. Almost every trade I have made was bad or somehow backfired. The leagues fun but I just don't see myself being very competitive and this is a highly competitive league. I have bought into next season due to a draft pick trade but at what point should I just bow out and let someone else take over?
I only play one dynasty league and got off to a similar start. One playoff appearance in my first three years, and one and done in that one. Realized my team just wasn't good enough so I decided to blow it up and start accumulating draft picks. After two years of missing the playoffs and continuing the rebuild I made the playoffs last year. Once again I got bounced in the first round. This year I made the playoffs and got my franchise's first playoff win, and hopefully I can take it home. Anyway, the rebuild has been fun, the trading and drafting, and now seeing the fruits of my labor. If you're having fun, take the challenge to blow it up and build a winner. If not, call it good. :thumbup:
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7