1 qb (team construction)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 1 qb (team construction)

Postby broncohead » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:38 pm

skip wrote:
broncohead wrote:I own Matt Ryan and the only time I pick up a QB is during bye weeks otherwise I own just 1 QB. Throughout the year there were a few QBs on the waiver wire Bradford, Bridgewater (before injury), Brock, Fitz, and Flacco off the top of my head. I like having the extra roster spot for WW.
I don't see how this is possible unless this is either a small league, small rosters, or not a dynasty league. I don't think I'm in any leagues where the named starter is sitting on waivers - just some backups who are available when injuries happen.
Its a 12 team 22 man rosters + 1 IR spot. I would say the QB talent is pretty spread out evenly throughout the league so most teams probably have the same mindset I do (why pick up a guy thats not gonna start with viable options on the WW).
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:31 am

Valhalla wrote:Addressing the first part: I doubt this is true. Streaming players leads to a lot of wrong choices, but I highly doubt that over 50% of the time the wrong QB is chosen.
this is obviously very tough to track and put to numbers for everyone to see. the only way ive seen it done is by taking into account that a streamer will start the guy with the higher projected total for the week. you and i could own the exact same 2 qb's, look at the exact same projections in the same type of league format....and never start the same guy between us each week. add a 3rd qb to one or both teams and you can see how this gets tricky. im sure every owner has a different success rate, im strictly speaking of the articles ive seen, and they seem to believe the only way to track it is by using projected pts...not owner opinion.

it's my guess that "streaming" isnt really the "streaming" that gets discussed...but rather owning a few guys and riding the hot hand for the majority of the year. perhaps even riding the hot hand for a few weeks at a time....somehow balancing the # of starts throughout the year/s out. its my opinion that i/you can and will win more games over the long haul if you just start the same guy each week. the consistency and ceiling of said qb ultimately determines just how good you can be.

Valhalla wrote:Addressing the second part: Ok, so that owner decides to just own Stafford and trade Winston (or draft someone else) and have...what instead? A 7th WR? That puts the owner in the same situation of just having another choice to make. Does he just stick with his top few WRs, or does he rotate in that 7th WR with the rest? Is he wasting a roster spot on that extra WR depth when he could be using that depth for much needed injury insurance at QB and bye week filler?
all my leagues are 22 plus deep (i do roster multiple qb's in most). reguardless of format, i tend to roster 4-6 wrs that i believe have top 20 potential. i try to get by with 2 te's, and the rest of my roster is dedicated to rb's. so basically, i can own 10 plus rbs or prospects. my idp teams go even deeper at rb/prospects because i tend to roster very few defensive guys. i cant say this to be true or if its just coincidence...that the only 3 leagues where ive went with basically 1 qb for the last couple years...i now find myself owning diggs, rawls, pryor, and hill. (some of them on the same franchise).

the qb's that im using here are dalton and stafford for 3 yrs, and i just started this with bortles last year. i plan to do it with winston when brees retires in another league. its far too early to determine anything, but all 3 teams are going in the right direction. other than stafford...i do have a wr/te stack with all 3 and have evans to pair with winston.
Ruggenater wrote:How quickly do those teams tank if your QB gets injured? If you don't want to stream based on match-ups, that's fine, but I wouldn't want to completely rely on one guy staying healthy for an entire season.
i struggle to find roster spots for draft picks in my leagues. if i have to trade picks to get a player....i have no problem doing so. in fact in the league that i own dalton, i just traded my future 2nd and tim hightower for brady and a playoff run. so far, so good and i'll be looking to get a prospect for brady come draft time. i could have had mccaron off the ww if i wanted.

yes, injuries could/will scare most away from this strategy, but im of the opinion that i can get a qb if i need one.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:43 am

sloth, I did do a quick analysis of one of my leagues two years ago. I compared two teams that a pair of similarly ranked QBs to see how often they picked the right QB each week.

Here's the guts of the larger post:

"Team A had Jay Cutler & Russell Wilson. He chose the correct QB to start 5 out of 16 times (31%). Had team A picked correctly every week, he would’ve scored 329 pts. His actual starting QB pts were 286, so he was 78% efficient. The average of the studs was 316, so he was short 30 points. Not bad.

Team B had Ben Roethlisberger & Matt Ryan. He chose the correct starter 9 out of 16 times (56%). Had he picked correctly every week, he would’ve scored 331 pts. His actual starting QB pts were 335, so he was 93% efficient. Studs averaged 315, so at 100% efficient he would’ve been ahead of them.

My quick conclusion: waiting on QBs in your redraft or startup can get you solid QBs, but trying to predict who to start is a huge inefficiency. I realize this is a very small sample size, but 78% efficiency is a huge cost for not just selecting a high end QB."

And the post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84706&p=715815&hilit=+ryan#p715815
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 am

thats pretty much what i expect to see pac when we look at teams that start multiple qb's.

The Black Swordsman
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby The Black Swordsman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:38 am

For me, I tend to go with one qb if it projects to be a top 8-10 option that has a considerable sample size of being productive and staying healthy. Otherwise, I'd go with a pair. My approach is the same regardless of league setup(besides being 2qb or superflex.) In my startup dynasty 14team ppr, I went Rivers and that's it. I was willing to stream for a couple of his matchups and of course his bye because I felt like my team was strong enough to still make the playoffs. Now, that approach may have cost me a bye, but I don't worry too much about byes anymore. Not saying my approach is best or even good, but it's how I've been playing fantasy since I started so I'm kind of locked in. It hasn't done too bad for me. And I'm one of those guys who hasn't done all that well guessing right when it comes to qb matchups on weekly basis whenever I've had to choose. This season presented a unique opportunity with regards to drafting a qb, imo. In every league, to me the best possible approach would have been to draft brady and nab a replacement for the first month. You'd have a top 3 qb for a 5th-8th or sometimes later draft pick investment. My dynasty league was auction draft, and that is why I didn't nab Brady as I tend to be gun shy when it comes to auction drafting. But all my other leagues unless I was beat to it pretty early, I nabbed Brady.
Team 1
14 Team Dynasty PPR - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB 1FLEX , 2TS(Taxi Squad) 2IR
QB: Rivers
RB: Gore/Crowell/Kelley/Perine/McFadden/Carson/Darkwa/Conner/Carson/Mike Davis()
WR: Green/Demaryius/Edelman/Chris Godwin/Gordon/D. Byrd/C. Henderson()
TE:[/b])/Henry
DL: David Irving/Melvin Ingram/Ackiem Hicks
LB: Ogletree/Demario Davis/Kyle Van Noy
DB: Kyle Fuller/Adrian Amos

2018: 1st, 2nd and 4th rd pick
2019: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd pick

Team 2
12 Team PPR Auction Keeper - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, K, DEFENSE
QB: Brady/Goff
RB: Mccoy/Fournette/Lamar/Drake/Conner/Kamara/Latavius/[/b])
WR: Fitz/Marvin Jones/Robby/Corey Coleman/Edelman[/b])
TE: V. Davis
K:Gostkowski
DEF: Ravens/Jags