Melvin Gordon value

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Melvin Gordon value post NFL Draft

Postby gogobradyarm » Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 6:01 am
Shcritters wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:30 pm With Charles signing his value keeps going up. Who's still a FA that could really take away value?
Blount is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head, would be a lot of GL competition but other than that I don't think he'd detract too much from MG3 between the 20s
I can't see it happening, MG was great in the redzone last year. Blount really fell off towards the back half of last season, he is just getting old and he presents almost no value in the passing game. Maybe they trade for someone if needed, but Oliver is a decent pass catcher and Gordon proved to be good as well in pass catching ability (averaged over 10 yards per reception).

Gordon is a top 5 RB this season, I just don't see how it doesn't happen on volume alone in that offense. His YPCarry probably goes up based on the oline improvement alone, not to mention the WR's that are going to be taking defenders out of the box.

If I had Gordon and was offered 1.01 for him, and I was contending, I don't think I would take 1.01. Gordon has one of the best situations right now in fantasy football and enough talent to capitalize.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Thu May 04, 2017 7:03 am

I completely agree, don't think Blount signs there at all, was just saying he's the only FA left who could possibly take away from Gordon's value
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

forrestmoons
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby forrestmoons » Thu May 04, 2017 8:08 am

Gordon's value definitely jumped up. I was never a huge fan of him but he's going to continue to score TD's and get pretty much anything that comes out of that backfield so he's top 5 for next season and top 10 moving forward.
10 Team, Standard Scoring, 2 Flex
QB: Mariota, Tannehill, Goff
RB: Montgomery, Dixon, Abdullah, Perkins, Prosise,
WR: Hopkins, Thomas (NO), Coleman, Moncrief, Parker, Snead, Britt, Lockett, Mitchell
TE: Ebron, Ertz, Fiedorowicz
D/ST: New England
K: Hopkins
Rookies: Mixon, Mack, Godwin, Golladay, C. Williams

12 team, PPR, 2 Flex
QB: Mariota, Tannehill
RB: T. West, J. Hill, Riddick, Montgomery, Richard, Zenner
WR: Thomas (DEN), Thomas (NO), Wallace, T. Williams (LAC), Woods, Moncrief, Stills, A. Wilson
TE: Hooper, Allen, Swoope
K: Bailey
DEF: MIN, JAX
Rookies: Njoku, McNichols, Godwin, Taylor, C. Williams, A. Jones, Kittle, Breida, Malone

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Melvin Gordon, is anyone buying?

Postby rubber_duck » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 am

Reviving this because the thread was so entertaining the first time around. :-)

I don't put much stock in the YPC for a running back unless that stat is included with a great deal of context. For example, how are the other RBs on the team doing in comparison, and what is the in-game usage for them? It has been shown that Gordon battled absolutely atrocious game planning. His in-game usage was also very similar to what Ingram gets in New Orleans.

That all changed for Gordon after San Diego suffered multiple injuries early in the 2016 season. Branden Oliver was lost in the preseason. Keenan Allen went down in week 1. Danny Woodhead was lost in week 2. From that point on the coaching staff had to figure out a new offensive game plan to suite the remaining talent.

If we look at Gordon's stats for 2016 from week 4 through week 13 (we was effectively lost for the season after week 13), he has the following stat line:

Rushing: 178 - 762 - 4 TDs (4.28 YPC)
Receive: 28 - 315 - 2 TDs

The opponents over that span were: @Oak, Den, @Atl, @Den, Ten, Mia, @Hou, TBB

For a team with a decimated OL and receiving corps, those aren't bad stats. The inept coaching staff is now gone and the team appears to be in total support behind Gordon.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:20 am

rubber_duck wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 am Reviving this because the thread was so entertaining the first time around. :-)

I don't put much stock in the YPC for a running back unless that stat is included with a great deal of context. For example, how are the other RBs on the team doing in comparison, and what is the in-game usage for them? It has been shown that Gordon battled absolutely atrocious game planning. His in-game usage was also very similar to what Ingram gets in New Orleans.

That all changed for Gordon after San Diego suffered multiple injuries early in the 2016 season. Branden Oliver was lost in the preseason. Keenan Allen went down in week 1. Danny Woodhead was lost in week 2. From that point on the coaching staff had to figure out a new offensive game plan to suite the remaining talent.

If we look at Gordon's stats for 2016 from week 4 through week 13 (we was effectively lost for the season after week 13), he has the following stat line:

Rushing: 178 - 762 - 4 TDs (4.28 YPC)
Receive: 28 - 315 - 2 TDs

The opponents over that span were: @Oak, Den, @Atl, @Den, Ten, Mia, @Hou, TBB

For a team with a decimated OL and receiving corps, those aren't bad stats. The inept coaching staff is now gone and the team appears to be in total support behind Gordon.
Offseason moves definitely support it, getting a former RB coach as the new HC and getting some great OL help in the draft along with not even bothering to add anyone to that backfield
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 am

Need to post a correction for the stats given above. Those stats were for Weeks 5 through 13, not week 4.

Sorry for the fat finger earlier.

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Unicorn92 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 am

Well i think the bad team is not necessary an excuse look gurley last year after a great rookie year

That said dj destroyed everything last year with an oline who was ranked one of the worst in the league
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:27 am

Just had a quick look and Arizona was ranked better than San Diego for the season, your point is still somewhat valid as they were ranked 26th compared to chargers 31. so a very poor ranking compared to say Steelers who ranked around 3-5. Very impressed with David Johnson but also I don't believe anyone here is trying to say Gordon is better than Johnson.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:46 am

Im all over Gordon this year. Improved oline, no more stacked boxes with Allen and Williams on the outside. 3rd year breakout coming up!!!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

alphaxray
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby alphaxray » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

I picked up 2 shares this offseason. His stock seems to have gone bananas the past few weeks, so it will be hard for me to add more.

CSteelersWin7
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CSteelersWin7 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:20 pm

I had trouble moving Gordon myself. I just traded Gordon and Ertz for Allen Robinson and 3.8(Carlos Henderson). What do you guys think? It's 12 team ppr.

I already have McCoy & Lynch plus I drafted mixon and Mack. For tight end I still have Delanie Walker and drafted OJ and Njoku.
Team 1
12 Team PPR IDP 40 roster/7 taxi(2nd year eligible)
Start 1 QB, 1-2RB, 2-4WR, 1-2TE
Maximum # of Starting Offensive Players: 7
Start 1-2 Dt, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2-3 CB, 2-3 S
Maximum # of Starting Defensive Players: 11

QB- J Herbert, T Lance, T Bridgewater
RB- N Harris, Javonte Williams, J. Taylor
WR- J Jefferson, C Lamb, J Chase, G. Davis, L Shenault, G Pickens,
TE- K Pitts, P Friermuth, I Smith Jr
DT- J Simmons
DE- C Young, A Armstead, D Taylor, J Phillips, K Paye
LB- J Baker, T Edmunds, D Greenlaw, G Pratt, D White, M Wilson, J Brooks, Z Collins, A Highsmith
CB- D Ward, D Jackson, S Murphy-Bunting
S- J Peppers, C Gardner-Johnson, R Harrison, K Dugger

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 pm

I traded him for Crowell and a 2018 1st I expect to be mid round. I personally don't like holding guys very long when I don't believe in their talent. And I certainly don't see a huge gap between him and Crowell. Both will get a ton of touches.

Gordon had 250 rushes, missed 1000 rushing yards and had his value increased with 10 rushing TDs. Crowell had nearly 50 less carries which is about 3 games worth and was only 30 or so rushing yards behind with 7 rushing TDs. Gordon of course has value, but now is the time to cash out on it IMO. Bump this thread in January and I bet his value comes down significantly from where it is now.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 am

I actually think he's still underrated, because there are plenty of people (like the ones on here) who look at the ypc and decide he's not good without actually watching him play. I think the average NFL RB would have a difficult time even getting close to Gordon's ypc behind that line. And why is it so hard to imagine that he'll continue to improve from a year ago? He's going into his 3rd year at age 24, the line has improved, the offense has improved, and he's still going to get the majority of the workload. So if he were to even match, and not exceed his numbers from a year ago, how is he not viewed as a top dynasty asset?

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:14 am

Chris_R wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 pm I traded him for Crowell and a 2018 1st I expect to be mid round. I personally don't like holding guys very long when I don't believe in their talent. And I certainly don't see a huge gap between him and Crowell. Both will get a ton of touches.

Gordon had 250 rushes, missed 1000 rushing yards and had his value increased with 10 rushing TDs. Crowell had nearly 50 less carries which is about 3 games worth and was only 30 or so rushing yards behind with 7 rushing TDs. Gordon of course has value, but now is the time to cash out on it IMO. Bump this thread in January and I bet his value comes down significantly from where it is now.
That was a good trade. They're about the same age (3 mos). Crowell's OL just got massively better. Crowell hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons. Gordon has finished both seasons on the IR.

And what you said about value is very true. I've said it somewhere, maybe another thread, but Gordon is currently viewed as RB5 or RB6... there's almost no chance he improves upon that. Right now is definitely peak value.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 am

Sterling Archer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:14 am
Chris_R wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 pm I traded him for Crowell and a 2018 1st I expect to be mid round. I personally don't like holding guys very long when I don't believe in their talent. And I certainly don't see a huge gap between him and Crowell. Both will get a ton of touches.

That was a good trade. They're about the same age (3 mos). Crowell's OL just got massively better. Crowell hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons. Gordon has finished both seasons on the IR.

And what you said about value is very true. I've said it somewhere, maybe another thread, but Gordon is currently viewed as RB5 or RB6... there's almost no chance he improves upon that. Right now is definitely peak value.
Why does he have to improve it? Why can't he just maintain that?