Newton or Rodgers?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who do you like better for dynasty?

Cam Newton
58%
Aaron Rodgers
42%

Total votes: 62

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Newton or Rodgers?

Postby ericanadian » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:30 am

lukkynumber13 wrote:I picked Cam but it is close. I love watching Cam play, he's magnificent when he's right (just like Rodgers, albeit totally different playing styles). Cam REALLY elevated his passing game last year, the eye test showed it.

But just like Rodgers is showing a very real downside, Cam also has a potentially SCARY red flag. This dude is getting seriously banged up. Up to this point in his career, everyone has lauded him because of his size and power, and the way he can shake off hits from linebackers and safeties unlike smaller/skinnier mobile quarterbacks like RGIII, Kaep, Vick, etc. But if you've watched him over the past 8-10 months, it's piling up. Idk how much longer he can be this dominant with his legs. Not saying he's close to being done or anything, but I wonder if he will be a dominant runner and above-average passer in, say, 2 years
Mobile QBs usually tap out at five years of production with their legs. Mike Vick lasted longer, but I believe that's mainly due to his time in prison giving him time to recover. That said, there are no real comparables for Cam due to his size. Maybe Culpepper, but he dropped off due to major injuries so his career doesn't really establish how long a guy this size can go before succumbing to basic wear and tear. I'd also say that his passing abilities are underrated. I could see him as another Ben Roethlisberger without the rapeyness. Big Ben's put up better numbers, but he's also had significantly better receiving talent around him. I'm a little wary about Cam, but I'm far from writing him off.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mratlanta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mratlanta » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:42 am

Cam easy. Even if he stops running in a few years he'll still be a starting QB in the NFL while ARod is retired.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Mahomes, Cam, Tannehill
RB: LeVeon, Jordan Howard, Latavius, Bryce Love, Ty Johnson
WR: OBJ, Antonio Brown, Corey Davis, Robby Anderson, Anthony Miller, Arcega-Whiteside,
Diontae Johnson, Hakeem Butler, DJ Chark, Darius Slayton
TE: OJ Howard, Evan Engram, Gerald Everett
K: Zuerlein
DEF: KC

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm honestly shocked that this poll is so lopsided.

Ageism is one of the biggest overreactions in dynasty fantasy football. This especially true for QBs; where the elite ones perform extremely well into their late 30s typically.

Such a "what have you done for me lately" around these parts.

Sure; Cam will probably get more yards as the Packers are not as pass happy anymore. However; ARod will always get you the TDs. Always. He is in one of the few offenses/teams in the league that are pass first in the red-zone & close to the goal line.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Phaded wrote:I'm honestly shocked that this poll is so lopsided.

Ageism is one of the biggest overreactions in dynasty fantasy football. This especially true for QBs; where the elite ones perform extremely well into their late 30s typically.

Such a "what have you done for me lately" around these parts.

Sure; Cam will probably get more yards as the Packers are not as pass happy anymore. However; ARod will always get you the TDs. Always. He is in one of the few offenses/teams in the league that are pass first in the red-zone & close to the goal line.
I agree with you, but although Cam's team isn't a pass first in the red zone, they are a Cam first in that zone. Chances are high for packers red zone that Rodgers passes one in, but they are also high for panthers red zone that Cam will either pass or run one in.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:19 am

Rodgers still looks off. Cause for concern?
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 am

I thought so last year but people aren't ready to admit yet. There needs to be a major change here to get this offense corrected. The GM needs to figure out where it is, whether it's player personnel or coaching.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:54 pm

DJB wrote:Rodgers still looks off. Cause for concern?
What game are you watching? They were on bye last week and don't play today until 8:30...

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:22 pm

DJB wrote:Rodgers still looks off. Cause for concern?
Marty McFly, is that you?

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Looking back on this thread is fun

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:21 pm

aha! nice resurrection, fifelski. I currently hold Rodgers on a max QB contract thru 2019. I am debating who I should try to sell him for....
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 pm

A-aron for me. He's gonna put up numbers till he's 40. Idk how I feel about Cam. Idk how long Cam will last

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 pm

I bought into the Cam hype and the demise of Rodgers and I'm regretting it. Earlier this season when Rodgers was struggling (a few weeks before he blew up) and right after Cam got past the early tough stretch of his schedule, I gave Rodgers/late '17 2nd for Cam. It's a deal I wish I wouldn't have made, and the way the season played out that trade cost me a championship.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 am

heyfeefellskee wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:13 pm Looking back on this thread is fun
I always felt Rodgers would come back to domination. The way he played down the stretch and how he absolutely dismantled the Queens was impressive.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 am

Rodgers was very impressive down the stretch, no doubt. I think he ended up being the #1 QB this year...again. The guy is nearly always top 3. He had a year he finished as #7 and everyone was up in arms about the collapse of Rodgers (rightfully, because finishing #7 actually is a LOT worse than #3 in total points for QBs). Looks like that #7 finish may have just been a blip.

As a Viking fan, I'm hoping things go back to how they were with a somewhat healthy Lacy Starks combo. Rodgers wasn't passing nearly as often and they were relying on lesser talents to move the ball via the run. When those two got injured and the Pack moved to a very heavy passing game, Rodgers took off (and so did the Pack). They are at their best when they just allow him to pass, pass, pass, and I don't like to see that. I want them to screw it all up again and go back to a running, clock management team. That would really hurt Rodgers' fantasy numbers, as well.

If the Pack draft a high end RB, everyone is going to start jerking off about how much better Rodgers will be with run support. I'll be thinking the opposite, as the play calling will go back to the clock management style instead of the heavy passing they employed the 2nd half of this season.