Question about 12 team superflex

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Question about 12 team superflex

Postby hamburglar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm in a standard 12 team league transitioning to a superflex next season.

My math says 32 starting QBs in NFL and 12 teams means each team would have 2.6 starting QB's in a perfect world.

Are 12 team superflex leagues viable? I'm predicting Armageddon in 3-4 years.

And while I personally love and prefer Superflex it feels wrong to transition a standard league into a superflex without a redraft. Am I off base or is this an extreme format change that isn't really suited for a "transition period" but rather a redraft?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on topic.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Question about 12 team superflex

Postby Madadamus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 pm

While a 12 team SuperFlex is is certainly viable, having a standard league simply transition into one is really not possible. That is such a drastic change that would require at least a couple of years notice as well as pretty much a unanimous league wide vote to make the change.

SuperFlex leagues are here to stay and I think they will be the new standard in about 3-5 years.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Please expand more upon the viability of the 12 team superflex-- I feel like the numbers dont work well.

ppm
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ppm » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:16 pm

Superflex is not constricting in that sense the way that pure 2QB is. It may not be ideal but you can get by with playing a WR or RB if something happens and you can't field a pair of QBs.

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 pm

ppm wrote:Superflex is not constricting in that sense the way that pure 2QB is. It may not be ideal but you can get by with playing a WR or RB if something happens and you can't field a pair of QBs.
Totally understand. But if you give me 100 matchups of teams with a 2nd QB versus a non QB flex? I'll bet on the team with 2 QBs every time, and I'd wager I win 9/10 contests.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 pm

The majority of teams should have two options to choose from. You might find a team or two in a league that doesn't have 2 starting QB's, but they are typically bad owners that are inexperienced to the format, or in a rebuilding phase.
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor

12 Team PPR Dynasty
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead

hamburglar
All Pro
All Pro

Postby hamburglar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:24 pm

I'd love to see some rosters-- if anyone is in a 12 team superflex and has league roster links-- I'd love to look.

ppm
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ppm » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:27 pm

hamburglar wrote:Totally understand. But if you give me 100 matchups of teams with a 2nd QB versus a non QB flex? I'll bet on the team with 2 QBs every time, and I'd wager I win 9/10 contests.
That depends on a number of factors like scoring and rosters. In most cases it shouldn't be anywhere near that dramatic.

There's also a healthy impetus on the owners to adapt to the league format. If they want to put themselves at a weekly disadvantage by not prioritizing acquiring quarterbacks there are analogous scenarios that could happen in many other formats.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Here's a DLF only SuperFlex league that just started up a few months ago:

http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... 66932&O=07

I of course have the worst QB situation lol.

12 Team PPR Dynasty

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:37 am

Transitioning to a superflex would upset me big time. Alot of owners don't even worry about qb in a start 1 league, and now your making them the most valuable pieces. Very poor job by the commish here. This should be redrafted...no ifs, ands, or buts. Completely unfair to award some qb hoarder by just implementing this. The biggest issue here... all multi qb leagues will draft or value qb's differently.

I would suggest to your league that if your going to just implement this...make passing td's 3pts. This puts everyone on a level playing field. You can get by flexing non qb in a 4pt league though. 6pts and just implementing it and I would just leave on principle.

nyterp
Starter
Starter

Postby nyterp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:50 am

I am in a 12 team superflex entering its third year. It has been superflex since day 1. I have always tried to carry 3 QBs, although I am in complete rebuild now and only have 2 (traded away Carr for a 2017 first and Cobb). The winner of the league last year only carried 2 QBs.

I think this is the link to rosters in the league. Let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... 45530&O=07
rosterwars.forumotion.com - IDP/Contract league discussion board. Come check us out!

IDP/Contract - Charm City Justice

Superflex - Chernobyl Toxins

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:55 am

12-team Superflex Values This is an illustration of what will happen to your player values upon enacting this change. For comparison, look at the standard player values in my sig. You might want to consider starting a Superflex from scratch...
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:21 am

nyterp wrote:I am in a 12 team superflex entering its third year. It has been superflex since day 1. I have always tried to carry 3 QBs, although I am in complete rebuild now and only have 2 (traded away Carr for a 2017 first and Cobb). The winner of the league last year only carried 2 QBs.

I think this is the link to rosters in the league. Let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2016/o ... 45530&O=07
The number of qb's a guy owns has very little to do with who has the best team/s. It's the value being gained here...just by changing the staring requirements.

If i own luck and wilson, does it really matter what other qb's I own? I could own 6 bums... that's not going to make my team better. It does however give those bums value when the change is implemented.

I don't know if the op is looking for superflex strategy or how changing it will impact the league all ready in place.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:51 am

1. Superflex is definitely viable in a way that 2QB is not (or less so) for 12 teams.

Consider: in a 2QB league with 12 teams, each player will have a bye. For that reason alone, you need a third QB. Thus, we're already at 36 starting NFL QBs needed (yup, only 32 teams) just to cover bye weeks. With injuries, etc., there isn't enough supply (you can do it in 10 team, though), and you can really get screwed.

On the other hand, in an SF league, then keeping only 2QBs could work. Say that you have any two of Rodgers, Carr, Winston, Wilson, Eli, Rivers -- guys who haven't really missed games. Then, instead of punting the bye weeks, you just plug in another player. Even if a guy goes down, you're not stuck with '0' each week, and your bench RB might be better than, say, Case Keenum who might be the 32nd starter anyway.

2. I wouldn't transition a standard to an SF.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:24 am

Mr. Burglar, I am in agreement with Madadamus that the superflex league will evolve into the fantasy standard over the next few years. It is a perfect fit with 12 team leagues so long as the scoring rules for QBs is normal (i.e. 4 pts for passing TDs and 1/25 yards). You should see the values of QBs in 12 team SF leagues be equal to that of the top WRs (and what the top level RBs were a few years ago).

If I were in any 12 team league that had not already transitioned to SF, it would be something that I would unhesitatingly support. The transition process can be like pulling off a band-aid. There really isn't a painless way to make such an extreme change. Redrafting really means ending the league and starting over. Making the change to the existing league will give some teams a boost in player value.

At the end of the day the important question to ask is: would our league be better as a super flex or as a 1 QB? The (assumed) improvement would be permanent. The upset caused by making the change is temporary. Over the last several years I have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and know you have a solid and reasoned approach to the game. Even if you feel you're getting short changed by the transition to SF, if everyone in the league can keep a cool head then the league will survive and be better for it. The good owners will still be good owners, and their teams will be good.

Maybe extending the transition period out to 2018 would be less of a blow than 2017? Giving a 50% longer time for owners to make roster adjustments could be helpful.

Side note: if you haven't already, you may also want to consider expanding roster sizes by a couple of slots.