16 team leagues and bye week QB problems

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

16 team leagues and bye week QB problems

Postby Pix » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:29 am

I'm not in any 16+ team leagues, but it must happen quite often that a team can't field a starting quarterback due to bye week issues. Much more so in 20-24 team leagues with one copy of each player. Or maybe your only startworthy QB goes down after the trade deadline.

What does your league do in this case? Let them roll with someone like Brett Hundley, who's unlikely to get any snaps?

Does anyone have a league where you 0-1 QBs or 0-2 QBs, but maybe with high QB scoring to discourage teams from going wildcat.

Not a problem for TEs I guess, as several teams have more than one receiving TE.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: 16 team leagues and bye week QB problems

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:19 am

Never played in a 0 QB league, but 0-1 QB with decent QB scoring (like 1 point per 20 passing yards) would work. 0-2 qbs allowed in larger leagues is ok, but expect even more league imbalance than is typical.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:10 am

0 qb requirement would only need to go down to 3pt passing td..and everything would work as is.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:18 am

I'm in a 20 team league where an owner last season didn't have a starting QB after week 9 or so. He could possibly have traded for one but he chose not to. I'm also in a 16 team dynasty league and we've never really had that problem somehow that I can recall. I think it's surprisingly easy to pick up a waiver guy like Hasslebeck even in leagues of this size, particularly if you're proactively paying attention. QBs are worth more in large leagues but still not enough to roster the backup usually, depending on bench size of course. I don't like trade deadlines for this reason, but ultimately unless they have really bad luck it's their fault for not having adequate depth, and letting them start a RB bails them out for their level of risk.

I was also in a 32 team league where they had a rule that if you draft the QB from Oakland you're automatically given the ownership rights to his backup(s) as well. Granted this was a redraft league, I'm not sure you could work this in a dynasty league considering a few backups might be worth more than the starters, but it seems like a decent idea for a league that large.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:38 am

Teams generally just take the 1 week bye hit or hit the waiver wire in my experience for 16 team leagues when they do not have another starting QB. Backup QBs become much more valuable in deeper leagues whereas they are not even rostered in shallower leagues. As others have stated, using a superflex or team QBs are alternatives to must start QBs for very deep leagues.