If you could afford to wait two years - Goff or Wentz?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

If you could afford to wait two years - Goff or Wentz?

Postby Phaded » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:13 am

My superflex draft is coming up very soon.

I have 1.02 and doubt Zeke will be there.

I don't need a QB but will be taking one since I believe in drafting value and trading for need. Unless I trade down but based on offers so far, that is not likely.

If you could afford to wait 2 years (maybe even more) - who do you think will ultimately be the better fantasy producer?

6 point TDs if it matters & -3 for an INT.

Carson Wentz

or

Jared Goff

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: If you could afford to wait two years - Goff or Wentz?

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:17 am

TBH, neither lol. I dont like either as talents. But if you are dead set on taking a QB at 1.02 and letting them marinate I like Wentz more. Has the prototypical size and arm talent and he scored high on the wonderlic test. So physically and mentally he has the tools to possibly become good. I just think to get the ratings the NFL blew up these two by force feeding them to us. No one even viewed them as top of the 1st talents but team need drove them there. Winston/Mariota >>> Goff/Wentz.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:23 am

Bot101 wrote:TBH, neither lol. I dont like either as talents. But if you are dead set on taking a QB at 1.02 and letting them marinate I like Wentz more. Has the prototypical size and arm talent and he scored high on the wonderlic test. So physically and mentally he has the tools to possibly become good. I just think to get the ratings the NFL blew up these two by force feeding them to us. No one even viewed them as top of the 1st talents but team need drove them there. Winston/Mariota >>> Goff/Wentz.
It's funny you say that and I think that is why I'm struggling so bad.. I don't love either of them but I feel like it's the best value at the pick in a Superflex. I was really hoping to get good value for the pick but since that seems like a longshot, figured would take one of them to get my 4th QB and use one as a trade piece.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:03 am

It's a tough choice, I personally went with Goff myself and here was my reasoning: sure, Wentz' measurables have all been touted as the next Big Ben/Andrew Luck etc, which may be true....but I opted to go for the guy who put a bad Cal team on his back and improved significantly year over year. I'm not going to harp on "Competition Faced" but NDSU has been a powerhouse program for years, well before Wentz; while Goff was essentially on an island.
Last edited by Servo on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 am

Tough call, since I'm also one who isn't "wowed" by either of the QB's and agree with the thought that Winston/Mariota > Goff/Wentz. That said, I think I'd go with Goff in your situation simply because we know he's going to start this season and therefore has a quicker shot at becoming fantasy relevant. If he plays well, you can flip him sooner than you could Wentz, who's not guaranteed to play this year if Philly sticks to their stated plan to let him learn for a season in 2016.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:17 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote:Tough call, since I'm also one who isn't "wowed" by either of the QB's and agree with the thought that Winston/Mariota > Goff/Wentz. That said, I think I'd go with Goff in your situation simply because we know he's going to start this season and therefore has a quicker shot at becoming fantasy relevant. If he plays well, you can flip him sooner than you could Wentz, who's not guaranteed to play this year if Philly sticks to their stated plan to let him learn for a season in 2016.
Well I think the OP said if you can afford to wait two years? So who do you think has a higher ceiling two years from now?

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 am

I think Wentz has better upside because of his running in superflex but I think you would be able to flip Goff faster for a profit.
I had a choice of both and took Goff because I could use a guy to start and believe he will bump up in value more quickly
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:33 am

PhadedCN wrote:
If you could afford to wait 2 years (maybe even more) - who do you think will ultimately be the better fantasy producer?
If I can afford to wait 2 years I'll make my decision 2 years from now.

In all seriousness I think they are very close, but I see Wentz having more value earlier on in their careers as IMO he will rely on his legs instead of read through his progressions and provide more FF points because of it.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 am

Bot101 wrote:
Shoreline Steamers wrote:Tough call, since I'm also one who isn't "wowed" by either of the QB's and agree with the thought that Winston/Mariota > Goff/Wentz. That said, I think I'd go with Goff in your situation simply because we know he's going to start this season and therefore has a quicker shot at becoming fantasy relevant. If he plays well, you can flip him sooner than you could Wentz, who's not guaranteed to play this year if Philly sticks to their stated plan to let him learn for a season in 2016.
Well I think the OP said if you can afford to wait two years? So who do you think has a higher ceiling two years from now?
If you're certain you're going to sit on the QB you'd select between the two for those full two-years I'd probably take Wentz. While the Rams' front office has hinted at extension talks with Fisher, I don't feel very comfortable with their organization as a whole. While they've got a great defense and RB, their other offensive skill position players are uninspiring to me, and I could see ownership blowing up the team within two years if they continue to be mediocre as they have been during Fisher's tenure.

Turnover means learning a new system, and a team rebuild. That doesn't usually work out very well for young QB's, and I think you've got slightly more stability in Philly with Pederson's 5-year deal.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Bison
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Bison » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:43 am

I'm drafting at 1.02 in a non-superflex and Wentz will be gone by my pick. :cry:

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:50 am

Bison wrote:I'm drafting at 1.02 in a non-superflex and Wentz will be gone by my pick. :cry:
Enjoy the 1.01 owner making a massive mistake!

Bison
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Bison » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:57 am

Bot101 wrote:
Bison wrote:I'm drafting at 1.02 in a non-superflex and Wentz will be gone by my pick. :cry:
I've watched every snap Wentz has taken. I don't think he's making a mistake.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:12 pm

I take Wentz here. They are fairly close but it comes down to durability and toughness. Wentz is big, quick, and smart. I see him shedding tackelers like Big Ben and being able to move well enough to score points with his legs. Not sure why but Goff seems a little soft to me..

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 pm

I had the 1.02 and took Goff because I think there is less risk of busting. I feel like the reasons for this have already been repeated to death but I could clarify if needed. In my opinion when you're picking that high the most important thing is to not blow the pick. It kind of reminds me of the Kevin White / Devante Parker decision last year. I liked Parker more, not because I thought his upside was higher but because I thought he had less risk of busting.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Bison wrote:
Bot101 wrote:
I've watched every snap Wentz has taken. I don't think he's making a mistake.
Wentz has gone between pick 1.10 and 3.06 in every draft I've had so far in 1QB leagues. The guy who picked him at 1.10 shocked the league. I wouldn't take him with a 1st round pick let alone 1.01 in any league where you start 1QB (unless its a 32 team league or something else non-traditional), QB positional points are just too easily replaceable.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."