If you could afford to wait two years - Goff or Wentz?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: If you could afford to wait two years - Goff or Wentz?

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:44 pm

PhadedCN wrote: Is there any QB with great success that scored very low on the wonderlic? Just curious as you mentioned that study. Or was it literally higher than 25 for all of them?
All time, a few hall of famers had terrible scores. Jim Kelly, Bradshaw, Marino -- all scored a 15. Favre had a 22. Then there were some 'good for awhile' guys like McNabb (14), Vick (20), Cunningham (15), Culpepper (18), McNair (15). Of these guys, Vick was the most recently drafted, in 2001. Of the 100% verified successful career-long franchise QBs drafted in the last 15 years, Roethlisberger is the lowest with a score of 25. But there's something I didn't note before...

Newton had a score of 21, and Derek Carr had a score of 20, so if we believe these two will sustain their recent success for the rest of their careers, then they lower the bar. I'm not sold on Newton, though; three medicore seasons preceded his 2015 breakout, which was largely made possible by an O-line that dominated most of its schedule (but which then got beat up in the Super Bowl, and Bad Cam immediately reappeared), so we may have already seen his career's peak. Carr looks legit to me, however.

Personally, what I ultimately conclude from all this is that a QB having a mid-20s or higher Wonderlic score is much more preferable in today's NFL than it was in the 90s and earlier, but it's still only a guideline, not some hard rule.

That said, I do think we're very unlikely to ever see another Hall of Famer with a score of 15.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:51 pm

to actually answer the question id say wentz. but im not sure qb is the way to go if you are looking to wait the 2 years. whoever drafts wentz will almost undoubtedly get tired of waiting and you can likely buy him cheaper this time next year. thats a gamble but one id be ok taking. i wouldnt draft wentz until maybe 1.7 or so in a superflex
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Eight7Seven » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Bison wrote:Since we are talking wonderlics. Wentz scored a 40. Goff scored a 36.

Here's a little story of why I'm sold on Wentz outside of being a homer.

His OC asked him before a dead period in the off season after his first championship as a starter to do a homework assignment. He said I want you take every play we ran last season and give me a better play we could have run with the situation and defense being run. He completed in 36 hours. The OC said he's done the same with other quarterbacks and he's never seen anyone even completely finish the assignment.
I really liked this story. I'm unsure if I would have ever heard it if you hadn't shared it so I would like to thank you for that.
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Open did you have your draft yet or decide on which qb?
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:26 pm

DJB wrote:Open did you have your draft yet or decide on which qb?
Draft is this upcoming Friday (July 1).

I was leaning Wentz, but I have been flip-flopping again between him and Goff. I've even considered Coleman at this point.

All-in-all, when my pick is on the clock I'm still going to try to trade down.
If I'm unable to - still don't know for certain what I will be doing.

It's frustrating when I feel like the value at the spot in a Superflex is to go QB but I'm not enamored with either QB.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:03 pm

PhadedCN wrote:

I was leaning Wentz, but I have been flip-flopping again between him and Goff. I've even considered Coleman at this point.

It's frustrating when I feel like the value at the spot in a Superflex is to go QB but I'm not enamored with either QB.
No one is. The media built them up for the ratings it would bring on draft day. But one gets to sit behind veterans and learn, one is being thrown to the wolves. If it were me I'd pass on both lol. But if you feel you need to take one andhave the time to let one sit, swing for the fences and take the projected higher ceiling with Wentz

James Rustler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby James Rustler » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Bot101 wrote:
PhadedCN wrote:

If I was able to wait 2 years..Id make sure I get Watson next year.

No one is. The media built them up for the ratings it would bring on draft day. But one gets to sit behind veterans and learn, one is being thrown to the wolves. If it were me I'd pass on both lol. But if you feel you need to take one andhave the time to let one sit, swing for the fences and take the projected higher ceiling with Wentz
10 Team 2 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 2 Superflex, k, Defense:
PPR, big game bonuses, big play bonuses, high volume bonuses (30 completions, 30 carries, receptions)
Brown Town Band
QB: C. Newton, B. Osweiler
RB: D. Johnson, Ezekiel Elliot
WR: Mike Evans, A. Cooper, Devante Parker
Flex: J. Langford, P. Dorsett
TE: Ebron
Bench: Teddy 2 gloves, Mckinnon, Zeck Zenner, T. Coleman. S. Diggs 2016: 1.01, 2.01, 2.02, 3.01, 4.01. 2017: 4 1sts, 3 2nds

2016 predictions: was too long, here's a link. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122933&p=1065590#p1065590

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 pm

If you really like Coleman, take Coleman.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:37 am

I still think because you have the luxury of not needing the qb right away to step into your line up then Wentz makes sense. If you would prefer to simply flip the asset then maybe take Goff but here is risk involved. If he falters his value will plummet and it's doubtful you will even be able to move him for any rookies in this draft later on in the year.

If Goff performs well then you have an asset to keep and use or deal away. Either way I see Goff as slightly more risky, Wentz can sit and learn and once Bradford inevitably falters, the Philly media will start pumping out positive Wentz news from practice saying he looks like a stud etc. Etc. You might be able to use that hype to your advantage. Usually once the season starts an injury will occur or someone's qb falters and will start seeking out a starting calibre qb which would be another great time to flip Goff or Wentz
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Found out that the 1.01 would be taking Zeke (as expected) after talking to him.

Traded 1.02 to a QB needy team for 1.07, 1.12 & 2.12. May or may not be the "best value" but I'll be happy getting the depth.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Phaded wrote:Found out that the 1.01 would be taking Zeke (as expected) after talking to him.

Traded 1.02 to a QB needy team for 1.07, 1.12 & 2.12. May or may not be the "best value" but I'll be happy getting the depth.
:thumbup:

Knowing that a couple QBs will be going before you pick at 1.07 means that theres a decent chance one of the few good players falls to you.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Bot101 wrote:
Phaded wrote:Found out that the 1.01 would be taking Zeke (as expected) after talking to him.

:thumbup:

Knowing that a couple QBs will be going before you pick at 1.07 means that theres a decent chance one of the few good players falls to you.
That's what I'm hoping. Although with how quickly it was accepting (within an hour of it being sent), I kinda wish I asked for more but oh well - still happy with the value.

I figured the top 6 (in no specific order) will be Zeke, Goff, Wentz, Coleman, Treadwell & Doctson.

Which would leave me with a guy like Shephard who I really like. If one of those 6 falls - I would be happy to take them at 1.07.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah I would be happy with any one of those WRs if they fell to 1.07.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:48 pm

If you are really lucky Lynch or Henry will go before 1.07.

If however the top 6 goes (in some order)

Elliot
Treadwell
Coleman
Doctson
Goff or Wentz
Shepard

Would you take the other QB or ??

And it could happen. I was in a Superflex where Goff lasted until 9th (Wentz at 1.11), and several large leagues (16-20 teams where QB values are high) where they both lasted that late as well.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:29 am

Good question - and as I was basically prepared to take a QB at 1.02, I guess I would have to take whoever is leftover between Wentz & Goff at 1.07. Although, I truly do hope that doesn't become the case. Even if it happens though, at least I added 2 more picks and got the guy I was still considering.