When Bad Trades Lower Positional Values

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kingnesta
Role Player
Role Player

When Bad Trades Lower Positional Values

Postby kingnesta » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:46 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else come a cross a bad trade that then lowers the value of other players at that position.

For example: AJ Green gets traded for 1.12 and 3.8.

Does this now make other teams under value stud wide receivers, since they can look back on that trade and try to say that is what they are worth?
12 team-PPR-49 man roster IDP 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(rb/wr/te), K, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 LB, 1 DB, 1 Flex (DL,LB,DB)
QB - Ryan, Winston, McCarron
RB - Hunt, Hyde, CJ Anderson, Dixon, Stewart
WR - Julio Jones, Hopkins, Allen, Jeffrey, Cobb, Moncrief, Floyd, Nelson, Rogers, Godwin
TE - Olsen, Ertz, Doyle, Cook
K - Lutz
DT - McCoy, Linval Joseph
DE - Mario Edwards, Avril, Graham
LB - Kirksey, Alexander, Timmons, Trevathan, McKinney, Minter
DB - Jenkins, Byron Jones

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: When Bad Trades Lower Positional Values

Postby eNdblu » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:51 pm

No

It means that the AJG owner has no idea what they're doing.
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 pm

DT was just traded for a '17 1st and 4th in one of my leagues...

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:27 pm

kingnesta wrote:I was just wondering if anyone else come a cross a bad trade that then lowers the value of other players at that position.

For example: AJ Green gets traded for 1.12 and 3.8.

Does this now make other teams under value stud wide receivers, since they can look back on that trade and try to say that is what they are worth?
Good grief, WHYYYY?! Even if you are desperately looking to acquire picks as part of a complete overhaul/rebuild, WHAT is the point of that trade? What can you possible get with 1.12 and 3.08? Giving up AJG for Carroo and Tyler Ervin?

Did you guys already have your draft? Genuinely interested to see what that owner did with those 2 picks.
#FreeCoreyDavis

Arkived
Starter
Starter

Postby Arkived » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:02 am

The answer should be "no". But I think that it truly depends on your league.

In my league trades like this go down pretty often. I've actually had to practically give away Jamaal Charles and Alshon Jeffrey due to salary issues (couldn't afford them at their value). So, underselling players is a reality in some instances. Even players that you don't truly don't want to get rid of.

Add on to that the fact that most of the elite players being consolidated on two teams in the league (mine is one of them) and we have an economy that's bound to collapse in the near future.
Hitting the Wrong Hole - 8 team 1 pt PPR, .25 per carry Dynasty league (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 1 DL/LB, 4 DB)
QB - Brady, Bortles, Dalton
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Jeremy Hill, Melvin Gordon, Matt Jones, Mark Ingram, Danny Woodhead, Thomas Rawls, Derrick Henry, C.J. Prosise, Paul Perkins, DeAndre Washington, Adrian Peterson
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, DeAndre Hopkins, Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, Amari Cooper, Davante Parker, Laquon Treadwell
TE: Rob Gronkowski,Travis Kelce
DL: Carlos Dunlap, Jason Pierre-Paul, Everson Griffen, Ziggy Ansah, Danielle Hunter, Khalil Mack, Jabaal Sheard, Frank Clark
LB: Lavonte David, Alec Ogletree, Vontaze Burfict, NaVarro Bowman, Telvin Smith, Jamie Collins, Myles Jack, Jatavis Brown, Zach Orr, Devondre Campbell
DB: Morgan Burnett, Harrison Smith, Jonathan Cyprien, Reshad Jones, Kenny Vaccaro, Clayton Geathers, Karl Joseph
Taxi: Paxton Lynch

heldlightning
Starter
Starter

Postby heldlightning » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:53 am

Should it alter your value on what you expect as your return? No.

Can you say "well, AJG went for this, so why should I pay hugely more for it?" Sure. Maybe you get laughed at, but you can try if you don't mind getting laughed at.

kingnesta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby kingnesta » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:25 pm

The trade that I mentioned was only an example and did not really happen. However, if there would have been questionable trades for stud players that you believed were traded under market value; would this then change the value of players at that said position and that said tier?
12 team-PPR-49 man roster IDP 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(rb/wr/te), K, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 LB, 1 DB, 1 Flex (DL,LB,DB)
QB - Ryan, Winston, McCarron
RB - Hunt, Hyde, CJ Anderson, Dixon, Stewart
WR - Julio Jones, Hopkins, Allen, Jeffrey, Cobb, Moncrief, Floyd, Nelson, Rogers, Godwin
TE - Olsen, Ertz, Doyle, Cook
K - Lutz
DT - McCoy, Linval Joseph
DE - Mario Edwards, Avril, Graham
LB - Kirksey, Alexander, Timmons, Trevathan, McKinney, Minter
DB - Jenkins, Byron Jones

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:37 am

If that happened in one of my leagues I could see it reducing the amount of trades that get done. Guys are gonna think that they can get a steal if they're patient.

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:44 am

In my main dynasty league we don't vote or veto trades, however we always have a thread on each trade so owners can weigh in on what they feel are the merits of a trade for both teams. Since a bad trade like the one given as an example would be so trashed by the other owners, it would be clear that this is not indicative of the value of said players and would not impact future trades.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 pm

I have seen the opposite for sure. Last year in our 10 team 1 qb league dez got traded for Tom Brady and while the price to buy a top wr hasn't went down compared to picks or other positions but I was trying to trade for a qb and everyone seemed to feel their qbs of real value were worth the 1.1, Sammy, or cooper. I even tried to trade jmatt for the top couple qbs since he is my wr5 and was told that wasn't even close on value.
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan