General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Using the groupme app in your league

Postby DDT » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:18 am

Walter W. wrote:
basilthesnake wrote:
bonscott wrote:Sounds great but I'd have to have everyone get a smartphone first. LOL
Works on desktop
On a Mac desktop? I was just looking at it based on the comments here, can get it on my phone or iPad, but looks like it isn't available for desktop.
I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Mac. The "desktop" version is actually a website so any browser on any system should be able to pull it up at groupme.com . If you try the website on a smartphone, the mobile version of the site pushes you to use the app but I would imagine that you could also load the desktop version on your phone.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:21 am

FiremanEd wrote: Isn't it simply a duplicate of the Chat on the league page?
if you do not have an MFL application on your phone with you at all times, strict advantages over league chat:

-you have constant access to the league chat, as it were, for trade discussions, league discussions, league issues, etc (as if the league was all in one group text message) without being tied to desktop/laptop
-you can respond to or initiate communication as quickly as you like on trade offers, casual inquiries, etc via direct messaging any of the group chat members (as if you were sending a regular text message) without being tied to desktop/laptop
-is not tied to MFL downtime or system access/login/etc
-the history cannot accidentally be scrubbed
-the history doesn't roll off the bottom after a predetermined length

if you have an MFL application on your smart phone, as i do, you may already have that access (plus league functionality) already. in that case the advantage is less powerful, though i still think it is an easier/slicker mode of communication than the league chat as utilized in MFL phone applications (for example, there is no confusion over what is a private vs group message). the bottom 3 above advantages still apply.

if you are a regular text messager of your leaguemates, groupme has the following advantages over text messaging:
-it doesn't impact your carrier limits/fees on texts
-much slicker group message functionality than some of the gorked up situations you get into sometimes with sending an apple group text to a mixed group of apple/android recipients.
-it has its own settings that can be set so you can tell at a glance if its an important Life Thing you need to attend to or a fantasy football chat you can ignore until later
-you don't need to give your phone number to strangers lol

i was skeptical at first. "i have the chat on my phone, why do i need this?"...but the direct messaging was so smooth and superior to texting that i was won over pretty quickly.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:01 am

Love the feedback guys. I'm attempting the roll out. Let's hope people give it a shot. I'm liking what I've seen and the potential thus far, including the ability to add a slick picture icon for each chat ;)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:04 am

It's just chat software, isn't it? How is it different from something like yim? Skype? or pretty much any other chat client?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:34 pm

skip wrote:It's just chat software, isn't it? How is it different from something like yim? Skype? or pretty much any other chat client?
it is skype's messaging platform.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

norsberry
Rookie
Rookie

Postby norsberry » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:14 am

does anyone know if you can embed it into your leagues home page?

trc
Captain
Captain

Postby trc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:23 am

norsberry wrote:does anyone know if you can embed it into your leagues home page?
Bump - would like to know if any has experience with this?

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:05 am

Might be something you need to ask MFL direct. They are quick to respond typically.