Tyler Lockett - Get him before it's too late

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Tyler Lockett - Get him before it's too late

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:47 am

So you're telling me that Lockett is still really good at football and he was just injured for most of the year?

I'm truthfully shocked.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:48 am

Cameron Giles wrote:So you're telling me that Lockett is still really good at football and he was just injured for most of the year?

I'm truthfully shocked.
Tough to read nuance in text, so I'm not at all sure you are shocked CG. But yes, I would say this accurately reflects my feelings about Lockett.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Lockett was obviously a disappointment this year, but my estimation of his baseline talent remains unchanged. He's still got his whole career ahead of him.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Lotto4Life wrote:In my work league redraft I had to hurredly pick him up last weekend at about 3:04 on Sunday. Almost forgot and left him in this week, but ended up taking him out. Doh!
Feeling a little bit better about my deadline deal of D. Adams for Lockett and 2 '17 3rds. Was looking bad for a while, and was going to break something after it looked like I'd lose a semi-final because I kept him on the bench.

That trade I did, and Lockett in general just seemed like a wise investment once his price became halfway reasonable, rather than idiotic like it seemed in July/August.

I did manage to also pick him up off of waivers in a salary cap league for $2. In that league the price goes up $5 plus 10% of his salary rounded up the following year which would put him at $8 in a $200 salary cap in '17. Seemed like a good investment for now.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 am

I would still buy. A broken leg isn't a career ender.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:55 am

id think the injury and lackluster season only discounts him even more. lockett isnt a guy that i own many shares of, but i cant imagine it would take a top 15 to get him in alot of leagues. of course there will be those die hard owners, but i think the causual lockett owner would probably move him pretty cheap.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 am

Now is when you should buy, not when this thread was created. His value did nothing but drop since then. Now you can actually buy at a reasonable price and profit/be rewarded relative to price paid.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 am

FiremanEd wrote:Now is when you should buy, not when this thread was created. His value did nothing but drop since then. Now you can actually buy at a reasonable price and profit/be rewarded relative to price paid.
Agree. If you were super high on him before this season now is the time to buy because the talent is still there but his value has dropped. You were going to have to overpay before this season. However I have to assume a lot of his value was situational as many thought he had a short path to being the number one target in SEA. I don't think he's going to pass Baldwin nor Graham in the next couple of years. You're likely going to have to wait longer for consistent production.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:50 am

JTLoh wrote:Actually, his value went up after this thread was created. But once the season started, you would be correct, it did go down.
I posted this in May. By late August the hype was much higher than in May.
Fair, but that type of value climb isn't anything significant to hang a hat on. The thread was created in April when Lockett's value (March/April) was 43. It actually decreased the next two months down to 49 and 46, before seeing it climb right before the season to 37 and 35. A six and eight slot climb isn't much to stake a claim on, and regardless, you certainly didn't get rewarded for buying at any of those prices in 2016. Now, I'm a big Lockett fan myself, though I wasn't willing to pay those prices, but will definitely dabble when my trading opens to get him around his current prices instead (66 in December and a presume will drop a decent amount from even there based on his injury).

Going back to the start of the thread, I don't disagree with your take that Lockett has upside and I like his future (I did when he was coming out based on his play at Kansas State), but my point was that if you waited until the thread was created, you already missed the boat and were paying inflated prices. I still believe that is true, but we all get another shot at a more reasonable price if we were to still believe and be willing to invest now, though 2017 is unlikely to be the year of any reward based on recovery timelines. Perhaps 2018.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 am

great time to buy now I think given the injury and a down season. Might even get him at near his old rookie draft position prices now mid-2nd-3rd
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:30 pm

I sold high on Lockett last rookie draft for 2.01 + 2.06 with no regrets. He's a talented WR, but I don't trust consistent health or targets for either him or Paul Richardson. I feel like Russell Wilson spreads the ball around like Drew Brees, and there's not a ton of opportunity there for any receiver as long as Doug Baldwin is soaking up the bulk of the targets. I've also seen comps to Antonio Brown, but Brown has 15-20 lbs on Lockett. I place him more in the JJ Nelson and Taylor Gabriel category, an explosive boom or bust flex with WR2 upside. I'd pay a mid 2nd for Lockett, maybe an early 2nd depending on who's there during the rookie draft.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm no doctor so just want to confirm that it is reasonable to expect a 100% recovery from that degree of leg injury, correct? 2018 he should be back on that horse?

btv802
All Pro
All Pro

Postby btv802 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:03 pm

FiremanEd wrote:I'm no doctor so just want to confirm that it is reasonable to expect a 100% recovery from that degree of leg injury, correct? 2018 he should be back on that horse?
I hope so. I mean, look at Treadwell. He's doing just fine :think:
GREEN MOUNTAIN BOYS
12 Teams - 24 Active - 4 IR - 4 Taxi - 1pt PPR, 6pt Pass TDs, No INTs - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX
QB: R. Wilson, T. Brady, K. Cousins
RB: M. Gordon, D. Cook, T. Coleman, J. McKinnon, I. Smith
WR: B. Cooks, J. Jones, A.J. Green, S. Watkins, M. Williams, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, M. Lee, T. Taylor, P. Richardson
TE: T. Kelce, D. Njoku, J. Smith
TAXI: B. Snell, M. Weber, K. Warring
2021: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 pm

I wrote my original question more confidently than I actually am. I have concerns given the severity of his injury, but people still seem to be giving a solid price for him, and I'd like to get additional insights into this type of injury. It would definitely weigh into the purchase price I'd be willing to pay. Hoping for a Dynasty Doctor on him...

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:47 pm

FiremanEd wrote:I wrote my original question more confidently than I actually am. I have concerns given the severity of his injury, but people still seem to be giving a solid price for him, and I'd like to get additional insights into this type of injury. It would definitely weigh into the purchase price I'd be willing to pay. Hoping for a Dynasty Doctor on him...
If it's just a broken leg, then it shouldn't be anything that matters long-term. It's not like you're going to break it again.

Lockett's injury is a freak injury and a blip on his health radar.