Tyler Lockett - Get him before it's too late

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Litesout13
Captain
Captain

Re: Tyler Lockett - Get him before it's too late

Postby Litesout13 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 am

ninotoreS wrote:It's bugs me how just about every 5'10"/185lbs or so WR prospect gets compared to A. Brown now. It's like doing the same with every 200lbs RB and Jamaal Charles. A. Brown and Charles are abberations in so many ways, not just in terms of their non-traditional physical profile, but simply in how they actually play. While I certainly think the WR position is trending smaller these days, comparing every midget receiver to the league's best wide-receiver is fallacious.

That said, I own Lockett. I think he's very talented. Despite his tiny catch-radius and hands, he has many special traits. In my view he's a shorter, less physical Tim Brown, or for Hawks homers: a faster Steve Largent.

I do not think he has an elite WR1 tier ceiling. High-end WR2 tier, sure.
Agree with this. People want to find the next Antonio Brown so badly. Not realizing the reason he is so good is because all of his traits are very elite. He is an excellent route runner with good hands. Lockett, while I like him a bit, isnt on his level of route running and can have questionable hands at times. He is a boom or bust type of guy. He can go off for 100+ yards and a TD or two, but he can also end with less than 50 yards and no TDs.

He is likely to end up as a WR3 at best. Im not overpaying for him
12 team PPR||Start QB-2RB-3WR-TE-Flex||Salary Cap=$65mil||My Salary: $61,483,329
QB: Ryan($6.53)-Smith($4.13)-Garoppolo($500k)
RB: Hyde($1.75)-D. Johnson($2.16)-Zeke($1.95)-White($500k)-Turbin($500)
WR: Julio ($8.25)-Thomas($8.18)-Edelman($4.64)-K. Benjamin($3.4)-Parker($1.5)-White($1.5)-Doctson($1.3)-Mitchell($650)
TE: Kelce($1.84)-Green($1.25)-Maxx Williams($500k)
2017: 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5
2018: 1,2,2,3,4,4,5

12 team PPR||Start QB-2RB-2WR-TE-2Flex
QB: R Wilson-Romo-RGIII-Wentz-Dak
RB: Zeke-Martin-Rawls-Hill-Starks-Perkins
WR: Julio-Parker-S Smith-T Williams-Cruz-Fuller
TE: Graham-Fleener-Hooper
2017: 1,2,3,4,5

12 Team PPR||Start QB-2RB-3WR-TE-2FLEX
QB:Rodgers-Tannehill-Wentz-Jimmy G
RB:Jones-JStew-Riddick-Henry-Drake-Sproles-Vereen-Collins
WR:Cooper-TY-Marshall-Snead-Cruz-Williams
TE:Kelce-Ertz-Clay

EvilleViking
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby EvilleViking » Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 am

So I just picked him up for a 2017 2nd,5th and Blount. Did I do ok?
kittlelicious
10 man superflex
Qb A.Rodgers R.Wilson S.Darnold
Rb J.Mixon L.Fournette K.Johnson J.Samuels K.Drake
Wr A.Thielen S.Diggs A.Jeffrey J.Edelman T.Lockett T.Smith T.Williams E.St.Brown
Te G.Kittle M.Andrews

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Fri May 13, 2016 10:51 am

I like Lockett, especially in a return yard league. But we don't really know what he can become yet. AB isn't the fastest guy (rna a 4.5something) but he's quick. He is also a hard worker who hones his craft. One intangible that can't be measured is the rapport he obviously has with Ben. When Ben was hurt, AB wasn't even in the WR2 conversation. He went mia. Once back, he tore it up unlike he had before. If Lockett and Wilson can develop that kind of chemistry, then he'll compare more favourably to AB than just the length of his arms and his shoe size. But not many WR/QB combos ever reach that level of chemistry. Time will tell.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 am

JTLoh wrote:Your opinion is that Tyler will never be as good as Brown. But that's not a comparable.
You said there was a comparable that makes Antonio Brown, Antonio Brown.

So what is it?
The combination of being a historically great route runner (arguably the best ever) with heavy and efficient target volume.

There are going to be so many more small receivers with similar measurements to Brown, but they will never be Brown. What he's doing isn't common and shouldn't be used as a projection considering he trumped all projections as a 5th rounder with a pedestrian athletic profile.

Litesout13
Captain
Captain

Postby Litesout13 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 pm

JTLoh wrote:
Cameron Giles wrote:
JTLoh wrote:Your opinion is that Tyler will never be as good as Brown. But that's not a comparable.

So what is it?
The combination of being a historically great route runner (arguably the best ever) with heavy and efficient target volume.

There are going to be so many more small receivers with similar measurements to Brown, but they will never be Brown. What he's doing isn't common and shouldn't be used as a projection considering he trumped all projections as a 5th rounder with a pedestrian athletic profile.
When was he HISTORICALY a great route runner. He was a SIXTH round pick and developed. His first 2-3 years in NFL were crap! He developed. The reasons you give are subjective not comparables.

Will Tyler every be as good as Brown, I doubt it. But he will be a top 10 one day soon, despite his physical statue which is COMPARABLE to A.Brown. And he is an awesome route runner and just gets open.

Buy him now. While on the cheap side. Worth a Chris Ivory or DGB or a 2nd round pick right now.
Why would you say he wasnt a good route runner coming out? Main reason he fell is because he was a smaller school WR that is shorter and skinnier than people wanted. Did he get better? Of course, but thats universal for every good player. But the reason he was even drafted to begin with was because of his route running and hands.

What people are doing now is trying fit every player into his mold or even the Edelman's of the world. It is rare that a player that is so undersized can become Antonio Brown.
12 team PPR||Start QB-2RB-3WR-TE-Flex||Salary Cap=$65mil||My Salary: $61,483,329
WR: Julio ($8.25)-Thomas($8.18)-Edelman($4.64)-K. Benjamin($3.4)-Parker($1.5)-White($1.5)-Doctson($1.3)-Mitchell($650)

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 pm

How is Lockett's route running seriously being compared to Antonio Browns? I guess thats, like, your opnion man; but you will likely find yourself on an island with that viewpoint.

Jtloh, you are free to your opinion but its just not a realistic statement. Im a huge Locket fan and wish him the best, but hes comparable to Brown in exactly one way, size.

You know who else he is comparable in size too? Jarius Wright.

I'd say Lockett can be a more productive Jarius Wright our of Minnesota. No disrespect to Wright or Lockett. I like both as players. But both are more impactful in the NFL than in FF.

Wright has solid but not spectacular route running. hands ok. Held back by a run offense and defensive minded philosophy to some extent. Sound like anyone you know? Lockett has more value and intrigue due to his age . . .but I think he's priced high. I dont view him at a price anywhere near DGB, for instance

Litesout13
Captain
Captain

Postby Litesout13 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 pm

JTLoh wrote:THE BEST EVER, route runners don't fall to the SIXTH round no matter how small they are.

You know the compareable that sets brown apart from other small WRs? Big Ben. It's his QBs ability to get out of trouble and extend plays. And to be on the same page as Brown when that happens. So many of his stats come off those types of plays. Put Brown with Luck and he's TY Hylton.

Now consider, Russel Wilson is going to be BETTER than Big Ben at getting out of trouble and improvising. If not already. Tyler will be Russell's go to on busted plays.

THATS THE COMPAREABLE THAT MATTERS MOST.

:shock: At you believing Brown was one of the best route runners ever in college and fell to the 6th.

#micdrop
You like putting words in peoples mouths or what? Never said he was the best route runner ever, nor was he coming out. But he was a very good route runner as a prospect, yes. He improved on that to make him an excellent route runner now.

You think a small school WR that is under sized both height and weight gets drafted otherwise?? Come on. So by your logic, TY Hilton would be as elite as Brown if they switched spots? Thats crazy. And if you think Brown isnt a top 5 WR with Luck, you are also crazy

Drink the kool-aid for Lockett all you want. But he wasnt the first undersized WR with good route running to come out and he certainly wont be the last. Im guessing you are drafting Daniel Braverman in all your leagues too right? :wink:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 pm

JTLoh wrote:
Cameron Giles wrote:

So what is it?

When was he HISTORICALY a great route runner. He was a SIXTH round pick and developed. His first 2-3 years in NFL were crap! He developed. The reasons you give are subjective not comparables.

Will Tyler every be as good as Brown, I doubt it. But he will be a top 10 one day soon, despite his physical statue which is COMPARABLE to A.Brown. And he is an awesome route runner and just gets open.

Buy him now. While on the cheap side. Worth a Chris Ivory or DGB or a 2nd round pick right now.
Brown was a very, very good route technician coming into the league. The reason he was drafted so low was because of his size, measurables, and small school background.

The main point is that you can't force players into the mold of someone who became the anomaly. Every short, white slot receiver isn't Wes Welker. Every undrafted RB isn't Arian Foster. Every short wide receiver who can run good routes isn't Antonio Brown. Your comparable is simply just that and doesn't tell you much about his ability or future.

Does Lockett have the ability to be a Top 10 WR? I don't see it. Receiver is insanely deep and there are a ton of better receivers at the position.

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Fri May 13, 2016 1:07 pm

JTLoh wrote:
This eval is really confusing and semi-misleading. I don't think there are many Lockett owners that will take Chris Ivory or a 2nd round pick for him. Meanwhile, I'd guess about 80-90% of Lockett owners would insta-accept a DGB offer.

I can see the ability he has, but I also question where his production is gonna come from. Return yard leagues are where his value should be really high depending on how many points you get for those yards.

The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Fri May 13, 2016 1:41 pm

JTLoh wrote:
Betterthanyou wrote:There's plenty of guys you can compare someone like Lockette too. Cobb, Landry, Cooks, even Travis Benjamin and many more small guys. He doesn't have to be compared to the BEST WR in football.
I choose Antonio Brown. Get over it.
Lol okay I choose one of the others. "Get over it." :lol: :lol: :lol:
JTLoh wrote:I see it. For Lockett.
Not every small WR, I've only mentioned Lockett.
So who is putting words?

It's cool that you lack my vision.

Lack Your Vision??
Hosts of The Fantasy Feud - Fantasy Football Podcast

https://linktr.ee/thefantasyfeud

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Fri May 13, 2016 1:56 pm

seahawks506 wrote:As a Seahawks fan I just disagree. They're not a team that is built to air it out a lot. Adding screens and dumpoffs to a guy like Prosise does not count as going pass-heavy. It's still a ball-control, brute force philosophy on BOTH sides of the ball that isn't going to suddenly change because one guy retires. That's wishful thinking. In addition to several running backs they drafted Germain Ifedi who is a great run blocker and poor pass protector in the first, and then drafted a blocking TE in Nick Vannett. If Lockett will put up improved receiving numbers, it will be because of the efficiency of the offense, not because they'll suddenly start airing it out 40 times a game.
The Hawks needed to draft trio of RBS. Losing Lynch and F Jax plus the uncertainty of Rawls ankle made it a must. Late in season in Seattle on a 35-45 degree day with rain and wind coming off the Sound from North endzone is not good for passing attack . Agree the Hawks won't be a pass 1st team
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

Litesout13
Captain
Captain

Postby Litesout13 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:50 pm

JTLoh wrote:I see it. For Lockett.
Not every small WR, I've only mentioned Lockett.
So who is putting words?

It's cool that you lack my vision.
Someone does this every year. You just happen to be the guy doing it for Lockett this year. And your way of justifying it is almost as bad as the comparison itself

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri May 13, 2016 3:23 pm

Lockett is a good WR, but for him to finish as a top-10 option the Seahawks are going to have to start throwing the ball a LOT more than they do (doubtful as long as Carroll is there) or head to another team after his rookie deal. I don't see either scenario as very likely, and imagine someone will be resurrecting this thread after Lockett finishes as PPR WR30-ish over the next couple seasons.

There's nothing wrong with having opinions JTLoh, in fact, it's encouraged around the forum. But I think you could use a little polish on the delivery. And just quit with the #micdrop. That reads as a juvenile attempt to stifle differing opinions. And you seem to enjoy antagonizing anyone who doesn't share your views. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them wrong. Unless of course, you've got a working crystal ball or some mighty special tea leaves to read which gives you a unique insight to the future...
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Fri May 13, 2016 4:00 pm

ninotoreS wrote:
JTLoh wrote:For those tired of small WR being compared to Antonio Brown, you compare smaller WR to the best smaller WR.
Just like you would compare a taller WR to Megatron/Julio.
But people don't do that, actually. Not many 6'3"-6'5" / 225lbs+ WR prospects actually run a 4.3 range forty and achieve a 40 inch vertical. In the rare event it happens, then they get a Megatron comparison.

No one is comparing/equating Treadwell or Doctson to Megatron. No one did it with Cooper or Parker last year. Etc, etc.

Megatron and Julio's measurables are extremely difficult to reach. Antonio Brown's are not. He didn't even have an impressive 40 time, his burst scores were crap, and his agility score was mediocre. Everything about Brown that's special only shows up on tape (and the stat sheet).
Definitely have heard the Megatron comparisons this year in Keyarris Garrett and it could only have been because of size
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Fri May 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Thread and OP have officially entered Ringling territory. People should stop responding since he's just trolling at this point.