NFL Draft Winners & Losers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: NFL Draft Winners & Losers

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:04 am

schiewerma21 wrote:Phaded I have absolutely loved reading all your anti Treadwell stuff accross the forums! Keep it coming!

I'm shocked you don't have a video of him to ruin his life like the guy who purposely screwed tunsil over.

It's social media... I'm sure you can find one if you dig hard enough!
True, I'll have to go do some digging to find one.

And it's not that I hate Treadwell. I still have him as my 1.04 (maybe 1.05 depending where Thomas lands). Regardless, doesn't matter cause my only 2 1sts I traded for are 1.01 & 1.02.

A lot of people around here act like he is a surefire can't miss stud - when I've watched his tape I see a lot of flaws and a WR who still has a lot of developing to do (which is fine cause of his age). He is not a sure thing at all.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:37 am

Admittedly, I was VERY frustrated when Cleveland moved down from 1.02 and gave up Carson Wentz. I still think that decision could be one that is still painful when we are looking back 10-12 years from now BUT it is hard to fault all of their moves. The sum total of their trade was like this:

Send 1.02 and 2016 6th
Receive Coleman, two 2016 3rds, 2016 4th, 2017 1st, 2017 2nd, 2018 2nd

Quite a haul for a team needing a lot of pieces. They will have 4 picks tonight, including the opening pick of the evening. I am a bit fearful one of the selections will be Connor Cook. I know he won a lot of games in school but I don't see him being more than a backup at this level. I'd rather see them avoid QBs at this point as the only ones worth having are long gone (and I am thankful Paxton Lynch was already grabbed as well). I think they may try to get by with their current rostered RBs, though taking someone with a pick in the 3rd isn't out of the question. If I had to "guarantee" any of the selections tonight as far as positional players, it wouldn't surprise at all if they add another WR. Losing Benjamin stung a bit with the continued questions surrounding Gordon. Michael Thomas is the logical fit to play opposite of Coleman (yikes....two rookie starters?) but it may mean making him the first selection of round 2 OR more likely moving back from that pick.

Sashi Brown is unlikely to be done with making trades. He's retooling the entire team and that means a lot of new faces.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 am

I like the way you look at this skip. No matter how many players they bring in they actually don't have the QB to win now, and none of the QB's left are who I would want to select for my franchise. Odds are the Browns will be picking early again next year and with all the extra picks they have picked up, they could obtain that franchise QB next year. In the meantime they can keep retooling and getting young upside players on the roster.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:43 am

IBall2 wrote:Does anybody think Jeremy Langford and Jay Ajayi are big winners from the 1st round? Or is this still undecided until round 2 has completed? or until round 3 has completed?
Are they the big winners from the first round? An argument can be made for that position. But I have always thought -- and said -- that Derrick Henry and the second round will be more indicative of how much of a winner they are--

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:48 am

Stevens61310 wrote:
IBall2 wrote:Does anybody think Jeremy Langford and Jay Ajayi are big winners from the 1st round? Or is this still undecided until round 2 has completed? or until round 3 has completed?
Are they the big winners from the first round? An argument can be made for that position. But I have always thought -- and said -- that Derrick Henry and the second round will be more indicative of how much of a winner they are--
You need to get out of the top 3 rounds to consider them "winners". While possible Seattle passes on RB until later in the draft, Chicago cannot afford to go into the season with the current RBs on their roster.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:00 am

skip wrote:
Stevens61310 wrote:
You need to get out of the top 3 rounds to consider them "winners". While possible Seattle passes on RB until later in the draft, Chicago cannot afford to go into the season with the current RBs on their roster.
I absolutely agree that Chicago will draft an RB before this draft over and I expect it to be in the second to third round. I may be the only person that thinks this but the highlights I have seen of Booker remind me a lot of Matt Forte's game. Do the Bears see the same thing? No telling.

I'm not sure what Seattle has to do with this conversation unless you meant Miami. But -- again -- I expect Miami to draft an RB before this draft is over.

My point was that at this point after the first round they are "winners". But the second round was really going to determine their actual value. Ok -- so I will give you the third. But it is essentially the same point.

Yomgui
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Yomgui » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:05 am

Never Veto wrote:I like the way you look at this skip. No matter how many players they bring in they actually don't have the QB to win now, and none of the QB's left are who I would want to select for my franchise. Odds are the Browns will be picking early again next year and with all the extra picks they have picked up, they could obtain that franchise QB next year. In the meantime they can keep retooling and getting young upside players on the roster.
The Browns have to draft a QB in THIS draft.

Most of the analysts/scouts agree on 2 things:
- There does not seem to be any QBs in this draft that is safe and with a very high ceiling;
- However, this is very rare but at last 8-10 QBs have the skills and talent to eventually (in 2/3 years of clever coaching and development) become good starting NFL QBs.

So with all the picks they have, the Browns would be remiss not to draft a QB this year ... assuming they DON'T expect him to start or play anytime soon.

Note: C.Cook 1st pick today for CLE is very possible.

Bahugo
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Bahugo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 am

I could see Chicago taking Kenneth Dixon.

93devil
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby 93devil » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Denver could be the biggest winner out of all of this. Lynch certainly passes the eyeball test.

If Jacksonville lands Jack, and he's eventually healthy, they could have pulled the best CB and LB of the draft to go along with a great young offense.
14 Team PPR (1.0) IDP Dynasty 53-man roster

1 QB - Bortles, A. Smith, Garoppolo
1-2 RB - D. Johnson, Bernard, J. White, Collins
2-4 WR - Matthews, Hurns, Fuller, Perriman,Gordon, Dorsett, Lee, Richardson, V. Jackson, Patton, Lewis
1-2 TE - Gronk, Griffin, Kendricks
1-2 DT Williams
2 DE Pierre-Paul, SpenceHeyward
3-4 LB Alonso, Compton, Foster, Dansby Rey, Roberts, Ragland, Nelson, James, Brothers, Maktevich
2 CB Burns, Worley
2 S Hyde, Killebrew Sorenson

14-Team Draft - 1.07, 1.08, 1.10, 2.01, 2.07, 2.10, 3.07, 3.08, 4.07, 6.07,

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm not sure I understand that logic....but I guess this draft has had plenty of reaches so far. Hard to say any QB offers any competition to RG3 at the moment; let us not forget that Hackenburg (who's getting blown up right now) was good as a freshman....but that still wasn't saying much when all you were doing was chucking balls up to Allen Rob.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:24 pm

Winner: Andrew Luck
Loser: Hugh Freeze

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Cleveland won Day 1 handily.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15425 ... -nfl-draft

FTA:
Cleveland loads up

Browns trade: 1-8, 6-176
Titans trade: 1-15, 3-76, 2017 second-round pick
Traditional chart: Browns win (improved draft capital by 18%)
Stuart chart: Browns win (improved draft capital by 48%)

It has been clear ever since free agency that the Browns are hell-bent on acquiring as many draft picks as possible to rebuild their tattered roster, and they got off to a good start when they traded the second overall pick to Philadelphia for a bevy of selections. Now another facet of their strategy is becoming clear: They're trying to exploit the league's conservativeness in devaluing future picks to extract better picks from teams in the future.

As I wrote about in discussing a Browns-Titans trade possibility for this pick before the draft, the common estimate for future picks is to treat them as one round worse than their listed value for each year you have to wait to use them; in other words, most NFL teams would consider this 2017 second-round pick the Browns acquired equal to a 2016 third-round pick.

That's not an accurate measure. A second-round pick is a second-round pick. Draft picks in the future are treated as though they're less valuable because the general manager trading the picks might not be around to actually use them, which represents part of the moral hazard incumbent with turning over your personnel department to employees who typically last a few years on the job. Future picks then realistically mean different things to different organizations. Les Snead and Jeff Fisher are probably going to get fired unless the Rams make the playoffs in 2016, which no doubt made it easier for them to trade future picks to move up to the first overall slot. Bill Belichick and Ozzie Newsome aren't going anywhere unless they want to move on, which is why they can trade for future picks with impunity.

All of this is to say that the new Browns brain trust -- Hue Jackson, Sashi Brown and former Los Angeles Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta -- likely feels very confident that Cleveland won't be tearing things up very soon. The Browns are stockpiling picks for the future and getting bigger returns because of it. Tennessee probably would have preferred to deal one of its four picks between 33 and 64 to move up from 15 to eight; indeed, had the Titans packaged the 15th and 48th picks, it would have represented 1,470 points of trade value on the traditional chart, right in line with the eighth overall pick, which is worth 1,400 points. Most teams in the league would have gone for that swap.

Instead, the Browns will wait a year and pick up a second-rounder in next year's draft for their troubles. The conservative way to value that pick would be to treat it like an "average" selection, which would be, coincidentally, the 48th pick. Reduce that pick and realize that by deferring their primary compensation for a year, the Browns were able to improve their sixth-round pick by 100 slots, moving up from 176 to 76. That's a pick with 10 times the value of the one the Browns traded on the traditional chart. Ten times!

Their 2017 draft is shaping up to be a mammoth endeavor. Keep in mind that the Browns now have two first-rounders (their own and one from Philadelphia), two second-rounders (their own and Tennessee's), and as many as four fourth-round picks (their own and up to three compensatory fourth-round picks from losing free agents this offseason). After accounting for the fifth-rounder they sent Philly next year as part of the deal, a reasonable estimate is that those extra picks they've acquired are worth 34 points on the Stuart chart; that's right in line with the first overall pick, which is worth 34 points on its own. Plus the Browns still have their picks (minus fifth- and seventh-rounders) in 2017, and it's not as if they're going to be good next year.

Cleveland could have as much draft capital in 2017 as any team has had in any one draft in recent memory. The Browns still have to hit on those picks, but they're putting themselves in an enviable position in terms of draft capital. (They'll also have an extra second-round pick from the Eagles to work with in 2018.) And they still managed to come out of the first round with Corey Coleman, a player at their biggest position of need, wide receiver.
And I'll personally throw out here that it seems to me like the 2017 class is going to be much better than the 2016 class, at least on offense. The Browns right now have four picks in the top 64 of that draft.
93devil wrote:Denver could be the biggest winner out of all of this. Lynch certainly passes the eyeball test.
As opposed to the wonderlic test, or the 'how he performed against defenses that had DBs with draftable grades' test.

Lynch is Logan Thomas in 2014, except the latter was drafted in an appropriate round.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:12 pm

Coogan23 wrote:
TomBobAnderson wrote:Loser - Dolphins. We take a pothead with our first pick SMFH
If he was a "pothead" he would've failed a drug test at least once over the last 3 years....he stayed "clean" all that time according to the NCAA drug testing department, for all we know that video could be 3 years old..who knows.

They got a stud player @13 IMO
Agreed. Reminds me of Warren Sapp slipping in draft
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:17 pm

DeMarco Murray just became a big-time loser. RBBC with Henry. Actually, I'm not sure Henry isn't a loser in this scenario as well, at least short-term.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote:DeMarco Murray just became a big-time loser. RBBC with Henry. Actually, I'm not sure Henry isn't a loser in this scenario as well, at least short-term.
Agreed.

Hurts them both.