Is Cleveland really a bad situation?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Is Cleveland really a bad situation?

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 am

If you are buying cheap for long-term upside, then I do not think Cleveland is a horrible situation - but if you are looking to buy assets to improve your chances at winning this year, then no I do not think Cleveland is the place to be looking.

I think 2016 Cleveland will be a lot like 2014 Arizona or 2012 Oakland offensively this year, and thats an optimistic pov - they could be historically bad offensively. They could be 0-16 Lions bad record wise, except they dont have anything resembling a Megatron to help them out now that Gordons likelyhood of returning this year has greatly diminished.

What stats do we actually believe (and I am not talking upside or best case scenario) they can produce?

3200 Passing Yards 25 TDs?

1400 Rushing Yards 6 TDs? (thats all RBs combined)

If their roster was on par with last years, then sure the best case scenario would be another Barnridge or Travis Benjamin like season, but I just dont see the possibilities even with garbage time production. If their D is going to be as bad as we expect, then other teams are going to be able to control the clock and their offense will do a ton of 3 and outs.

Personally I hope I am wrong, but when a team has to get worse to get better, then their fantasy value is almost non-existent (for 2016). They are like the NFL version of the Maple Leafs, or Philadelphia 76ers, or Philadelphia Phillies. :sick:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

DinoDynasty
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DinoDynasty » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Yes, Cleveland is in a horrible situation. Their current roster may have the least amount of talent of any NFL team in any point in time. They have no QB, their O Line is has been gutted, and Gary Barnidge is your most productive player on offensive, yes you are in a very bad situation. I think Vegas set their wins O/U at 2. This is the last team I want any player I am potentially looking to draft in my dynasty league go to.
2017 Champ, 2018 Runner-up, 2019 Champ, 2020 Champ, 2021 Runner-up
12 Team PPR
Stairway to Evans
QB: Hurts, Kirk, Bridgewater, Jimmy G
RB: CMC, Pollard, Foreman,
Sanders, Hill
WR: Kupp, Evans, Ridley, Dell, Josh Palmer, Hodgins, Osborn, Parker, MVS
TE: Kelce, Musgrave, Otton, Gray, Woods
DEF: Chicago Ravens
2024 2nd, 3rd, 4th

12 Team .5 PPR
Fields of Dreams
QB - Fields, Cousins, Wilson
RB - Taylor, Swift, Mixon, Pollard, Singelary, McLaughlin
WR - Olave, Tyreek, Tank Dell, Higgins, Gabriel Davis, E Moore, Mingo, Douglas
TE - Ferguson, Gray, Otton
DEF - 49ers, Pats
Picks 2024 2x1st, 3, 4

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:46 am

I'll say that Hue kicked major butt trading back his pick, not once, but twice. Browns stockpiled in a big way toward rebuilding, and yet still managed to get the receiver with the most electric tape in this class. Just wish Coleman was bigger. They're still sore for size on the perimeter, especially if Gordon doesn't make it back.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:41 am

I really don't know how I feel about Coleman going to Cleveland, as far as picking him in the top 5 in rookie drafts. As a landing spot, I hate it. Previously I felt content at 1.04 picking one of Zeke, Treadwell, Doctson, or Coleman. Now I don't know if I can stay... if I don't trade down, no idea who I'll pick yet.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:20 am

You know, RG3 had no problem supporting good fantasy seasons for his wide-receivers back in Washington. Garcon in 2013, Jackson in 2013 and 2014.

edit: not DeSean in 2013, lol @ me
Last edited by ninotoreS on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

93devil
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby 93devil » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:39 am

Yes. They are a hot mess.

Imagine there are 30 restaurants in your city and all are owned by different people.

Some of these restaurants are owned by very wise people who understand how to properly train cooks and servers and give them the tools they need to succeed.

Some are owned by idiots like you see on the "rescue" shows. Gordon Ramsey would have tried to rescue the Browns years ago. The only problem is the NFL does not have a Gordon Ramsey.
14 Team PPR (1.0) IDP Dynasty 53-man roster

1 QB - Bortles, A. Smith, Garoppolo
1-2 RB - D. Johnson, Bernard, J. White, Collins
2-4 WR - Matthews, Hurns, Fuller, Perriman,Gordon, Dorsett, Lee, Richardson, V. Jackson, Patton, Lewis
1-2 TE - Gronk, Griffin, Kendricks
1-2 DT Williams
2 DE Pierre-Paul, SpenceHeyward
3-4 LB Alonso, Compton, Foster, Dansby Rey, Roberts, Ragland, Nelson, James, Brothers, Maktevich
2 CB Burns, Worley
2 S Hyde, Killebrew Sorenson

14-Team Draft - 1.07, 1.08, 1.10, 2.01, 2.07, 2.10, 3.07, 3.08, 4.07, 6.07,

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:39 am

DeSean Jackson played with the Eagles in 2013.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 am

Bottom line, Cleveland has a legitimate claim to 'winning' the first round this year. They traded back twice, compiled the rebuilding picks they need in the process, and yet somehow still got to pick arguably this class's flashiest playmaker on offense.

I can't remember the last time the Browns did this well on Day 1 of the draft. I know The Curse in Cleveland seems neverending after all these years of misery, but maybe there's a glimmer of sunlight today, finally some reason for optimism.
ArrylT wrote:DeSean Jackson played with the Eagles in 2013.
doh

point remains, though. Wasn't Garcon like the league's receptions leader in 2013?
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:01 am

ninotoreS wrote:You know, RG3 had no problem supporting good fantasy seasons for his wide-receivers back in Washington. Garcon in 2013, Jackson in 2013 and 2014.

edit: not DeSean in 2013, lol @ me
and jackson in griffins 7 starts in 2014 had 28 balls for 502 and 2 tds good luck with that !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:58 am

So he was on a 16-game pace for over a thousand receiving yards, with Griffin throwing the pigskin.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:20 am

ninotoreS wrote:Bottom line, Cleveland has a legitimate claim to 'winning' the first round this year. They traded back twice, compiled the rebuilding picks they need in the process, and yet somehow still got to pick arguably this class's flashiest playmaker on offense.

I can't remember the last time the Browns did this well on Day 1 of the draft. I know The Curse in Cleveland seems neverending after all these years of misery, but maybe there's a glimmer of sunlight today, finally some reason for optimism.
ArrylT wrote:DeSean Jackson played with the Eagles in 2013.
doh

point remains, though. Wasn't Garcon like the league's receptions leader in 2013?
If it works out I will be one of the first to admit it. I certainly think they have had their best off-season to date in a long time, and I have said before elsewhere that Cleveland has shown indications of positive steps forward. However when they started so far back, they still have a ways to go. Obviously the analytics suggest that Coleman was the right pick for them to make, and who am I to disagree with that. But analytics have not really seen a Corey Coleman before so we dont have an accurate projection model to use. This is a boom bust pick, and I am not sure Cleveland can afford another boom/bust pick atm.

As I said above - long term I dont see Cleveland being a horrible situation - just short term. If Coleman falls out of the top half of the 1st round in rookie drafts, then I will recant my initial thoughts, but if he sticks with his current ADP that is just too much of a price, at least based on where my teams are. If you are a contender, and some how got an early pick, and Coleman is a bonus, that is great. But Coleman as a locked & loaded ready to be a foundation WR1 for your fantasy team I just dont see it. I guess I just really wanted to fall into a situation where I felt he could develop and not be expected to be the WR1 right from the get-go.

If it works out I will be one of the first to admit it.

93devil
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby 93devil » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 am

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm

The Browns have drafted and developed one All-pro player in the last 16 years. They only have a small handful of pro bowlers in that time period. Many of their players making the pro bowl only once.

They are a mess.
Last edited by 93devil on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

2-4 WR - Matthews, Hurns, Fuller, Perriman,Gordon, Dorsett, Lee, Richardson, V. Jackson, Patton, Lewis
1-2 DT Williams
3-4 LB Alonso, Compton, Foster, Dansby Rey, Roberts, Ragland, Nelson, James, Brothers, Maktevich
2 CB Burns, Worley

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 am

93devil wrote:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm

The Browns have drafted and developed one All-pro player in the last 16 years. They only have a small handful of all-pros in that time period. Many of their players making the pro bowl only once.

They are a mess.
You're not a mess if you're a winning team. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

93devil
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby 93devil » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 am

guyatwork37 wrote:
93devil wrote:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm

The Browns have drafted and developed one All-pro player in the last 16 years. They only have a small handful of all-pros in that time period. Many of their players making the pro bowl only once.

They are a mess.
You're not a mess if you're a winning team. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
They have had three winning seasons in the last 25 years.

They have won one playoff game in the last 25 years.

1-2 DT Williams
2 CB Burns, Worley

growskey23
Captain
Captain

Postby growskey23 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:12 am

I'm not going to say they're not bad. Right now they are bottom feeders in the league. With that said, I definitely see rays of hope for them. Hue Jackson is one of the seeds that I think can bear some great fruit for Cleveland. I am a fan of them taking a chance on RGIII because he has done well in the league before with a lot of factors working against him. Corey Coleman is a playmaker which is something they desperately need. I realize these are all small things and I'm not claiming the win the AFC North or anything, but I am seeing steps in the right direction which is very important thing to realize. They are a buy low stock that should provide some good returns.