DLF Podcast

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ELSOUZA
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DLF Podcast

Postby ELSOUZA » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:47 am

New subscriber to the podcast. Starting listening only weeks before the transition... Have to say that I have Thorougky enjoyed the new format.

Well done guys

gkritikos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gkritikos » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:26 am

Coogan23 wrote:I think you guys are doing good with content and the information but it would be easier to listen to if you guys added a little more energy or excitement to the podcast. To me it makes it more interesting to pay attention and follow along rather than just keeping the same pace throughout the whole thing, maybe do a couple shots or something at the beginning :dance:
We will have a GoFundMe set up by the end of the day to make sure it's the good stuff!

To echo what Jeff said, we love all the feedback and hope that we can keep bringing a little entertainment with a lot of information to something that everyone can enjoy. Thanks for all the responses and keep it coming!
Find me on Twitter @Rotohack

James Rustler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby James Rustler » Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 am

Couldn't agree with you guys more on stockpiling picks and DEVY leagues. If you are a dynasty leaguer you need to do DEVY. The reason why is forecasting. A savvy dynasty owner started stockpiling 2017 picks last year. I feel having a strong feel for DEVY players is the only reason I started stockpiling last year. 4 '17 1st rounders and 3 2nd round picks
10 Team 2 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 2 Superflex, k, Defense:
PPR, big game bonuses, big play bonuses, high volume bonuses (30 completions, 30 carries, receptions)
Brown Town Band
QB: C. Newton, B. Osweiler
RB: D. Johnson, Ezekiel Elliot
WR: Mike Evans, A. Cooper, Devante Parker
Flex: J. Langford, P. Dorsett
TE: Ebron
Bench: Teddy 2 gloves, Mckinnon, Zeck Zenner, T. Coleman. S. Diggs 2016: 1.01, 2.01, 2.02, 3.01, 4.01. 2017: 4 1sts, 3 2nds

2016 predictions: was too long, here's a link. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122933&p=1065590#p1065590

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Thought episode #200 was great. Loved the idea of discussing players you differ on, and bringing in Waldman to discuss favourite UDFA's is the kind of deep dive that matters to dynasty players. Terrific stuff.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

gkritikos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gkritikos » Fri May 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Dookmariot wrote:Thought episode #200 was great. Loved the idea of discussing players you differ on, and bringing in Waldman to discuss favourite UDFA's is the kind of deep dive that matters to dynasty players. Terrific stuff.

Thanks bud!

With Matt on and Nick's deep knowledge of prospects, it felt like a perfect fit and a topic we didn't get to cover given the quick turnaround of #199 after the draft. I'm excited for some of the upcoming episodes but if you ever have a topic you'd like to see covered (or a guest to bring on), feel free to reach out.

George

dlf_jeffm
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_jeffm » Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 pm

Hey, kids. I'm curious for any feedback from episode 201 this week. It is our first strategy heavy podcast, so any comments, likes, or dislikes would be great to hear. We hope to do more of these, making your feedback on this one that much more important.

-Jeff

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Wed May 18, 2016 5:31 pm

Where is Karl? He isn't on rankings either. I love loading the podcast and going for a long summer walk. Enjoy my addiction for fantasy football and get some exercise.

Will have to listen to this first one in the next few days.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed May 18, 2016 10:56 pm

dlf_jeffm wrote:Hey, kids. I'm curious for any feedback from episode 201 this week. It is our first strategy heavy podcast, so any comments, likes, or dislikes would be great to hear. We hope to do more of these, making your feedback on this one that much more important.

-Jeff
:thumbup: I did really enjoy the foray into the various strategic approaches of managing a salary cap team. This is certainly a format I need to get into. And yes, I would love to hear more of these kinds of podcasts. I've said it before and will say it again; this is the best the DLF podcast has been. Thanks for all the good work.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

joedirte
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby joedirte » Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Really liked this episode. It was especially helpful as my first auction salary cap league is about to start. Looking forward to hearing more of these kinds of podcasts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri May 20, 2016 3:56 am

I too thought the pod was great. Most insightful one I've listened to in a while. Won't apply to everyone, and I'm not in an salary cap leagues, but I've been thinking about it and this could go a long way to helping me be successful if I do. Great job.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:27 am

chiming in as well!

yay:
-love the idea of strategy specific podcasts. we have enough outlets for learning about watkins' foot or free agency signings
-for ages i have banged the table for auction and salary cap values in resources (in articles or rankings or whatevs) to be given in "%" of budget and not absolute terms. i cried a tear of joy to hear you do this.

boo:
-i was listening to this on a car trip with two other people who play dynasty but not salary cap & contract leagues, so i got to observe real time feedback of interested but inexperienced parties. you opened with the word count of a bylaws document (5000+) and the recommendation to make and update 10-16 spreadsheets per league. obviously what you were trying to say was good and valuable, but maybe to not turn new participants off, like, instantly, next time lead with it a bit differently? they got a good chuckle out of the part where you joked about that specifically.

i thought everything you talked about in terms of what is important to understand about a given league's rules structure was great. consider adding two things if you do this again later.
-while the total cap value and the penalties for release are critical, how the league assesses cap penalties is right there with them, the third leg of the stool, if you will. a league that spreads the cap penalty over the life of the original contract vs a league that accelerates the penalty against the subsequent year only, for example.
-secondly, maybe an area to address is how the waiver period works for a released player under contract. the "waiver period" in SC&C prior to the player becoming a free agent is a new element for players new to SC&C, even if they are familiar with blind bidding free agency in their leagues.

great job, loved this podcast!
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Fri May 20, 2016 8:46 pm

I know I might be biased, but I too thought this was a terrific podcast. I am not in any salary cap leagues, have no interest or intention of being in any, and was only going to listen to a few minutes of the show to do my usual 'sound check' of the show, but found myself totally engrossed. Jeff and Dan did such a awesome job explaining the format and letting their passion for this come through they have me considering another league just to give this format a try.

Anyway, great show, highly recommended even if it's not your format.

Link to episode for convenience...

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2016/0 ... ap-crunch/

And as always, we really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Thanks a ton!
KM

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed May 25, 2016 1:03 pm

LOVED this episode. I think, format wise, this is the way to go.

I've always been a fan of cap leagues (I'm a big advocate of anything that makes for difficult decisions in a dynasty league) and I think you did a great job in outlining what makes it fun and challenging. Of course, some of my enthusiasm might come from the fact that most of the tips and tricks you mention I already do, so this might just be smugness on my part.

If you're taking suggestions, I'd be thrilled at a devy league podcast in the near future. Keep it up, gents...the podcast has never been better in my opinion.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

gkritikos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gkritikos » Wed May 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Dookmariot wrote:LOVED this episode. I think, format wise, this is the way to go.

I've always been a fan of cap leagues (I'm a big advocate of anything that makes for difficult decisions in a dynasty league) and I think you did a great job in outlining what makes it fun and challenging. Of course, some of my enthusiasm might come from the fact that most of the tips and tricks you mention I already do, so this might just be smugness on my part.

If you're taking suggestions, I'd be thrilled at a devy league podcast in the near future. Keep it up, gents...the podcast has never been better in my opinion.
Thanks bud. Appreciate the feedback. It's a blast to be a part of and I agree that the salary cap episode was a really good one.

We are always taking suggestions. Nick (of course!) has been talking about a devy episode and may have something on the horizon soon. Just working out the details.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:02 am

If you don't normally listen to the DLF podcast, this is a good week to start. Plenty of talk about topics from the forums.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!