Trade Calculators

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Trade Calculators

Postby Thedude30 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 am

I like to use them sometimes to see if I'm on the right track with a trade, or if there are some tweaks I can make. I definitely try not to use it as a crutch. I have been using two recently and noticed they tend to be fairly different. Now I'm guessing the algorithms are different, but I was just wondering if anyone else out there uses them, and if so which do you find most helpful? Do you find them to be a waste of your time? Again, I don't use them as the end all be all, but it's fun to mess around with a bit. Currently I've used DTC and DynastFFtools.com

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Trade Calculators

Postby DrNoish » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:09 am

I'll play with mainly DTC a bit when I'm contemplating an offer, just to see if packaging if I'm over/undershooting by a lot. So far the calculator hasn't helped for much other than convince an owner the way we added picks gave him the clear value.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:02 am

I use a trade calc for every trade. The problem with the kind you are using is that it is based on that site's rankings/ADP for the player values, so even if they used the same formula the results could be wildly different and might not apply to your league settings. I haven't used those two you mentioned, I will have to play around with those two to see how the formulas work. I prefer the kind where you can enter the draft pick number, and then just use my own rankings (or the trusted rankings/ADP here at DLF :thumbup: ) and enter the number that represents the player to be traded.

Here are two I've found, they have a different curve (the relative values between 1st rounders, 3rd rounders, late rounders vary) so use the one that makes sense for you, or make your own in a spreadsheet as I did. Be careful to use one configured for startup rather than rookie drafts, as the curve for a rookie pick would be insane (1.1 worth 1.3 + 1.4 doesn't make sense in a startup!!!)

http://www.footballguys.com/pickvalue.htm
http://www.footballperspective.com/draf ... alculator/

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:05 am

Tsunami wrote:I use a trade calc for every trade. The problem with the kind you are using is that it is based on that site's rankings/ADP for the player values, so even if they used the same formula the results could be wildly different and might not apply to your league settings. I haven't used those two you mentioned, I will have to play around with those two to see how the formulas work. I prefer the kind where you can enter the draft pick number, and then just use my own rankings (or the trusted rankings/ADP here at DLF :thumbup: ) and enter the number that represents the player to be traded.

Here are two I've found, they have a different curve (the relative values between 1st rounders, 3rd rounders, late rounders vary) so use the one that makes sense for you, or make your own in a spreadsheet as I did. Be careful to use one configured for startup rather than rookie drafts, as the curve for a rookie pick would be insane (1.1 worth 1.3 + 1.4 doesn't make sense in a startup!!!)

http://www.footballguys.com/pickvalue.htm
http://www.footballperspective.com/draf ... alculator/
That's great, I'll check it out. I definitely cross reference with DLF rankings and my own personal values.

Those two I posted place a number value on players, I think both are skewed towards 12team PPR (and I think you can even change some settings to fit with your league). Since I'm in an IDP league I keep in mind the picks are probably a tad more valuable.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 pm

I think the trade calculators are hogwash. A leaguemate of mine uses it in every trade and I tell him it means nothing to me. Too many variables are overlooked, mostly personal values. What does it even mean that a tr ade is 93% fair?

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:04 pm

pokerface40 wrote:I think the trade calculators are hogwash. A leaguemate of mine uses it in every trade and I tell him it means nothing to me. Too many variables are overlooked, mostly personal values. What does it even mean that a tr ade is 93% fair?
Means you are only getting 7% hosed ;)

That would be an improvement form most offers I receive
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 pm

I dislike using trade calculators because most of them are based at least partially or entirely on ADP
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:45 pm

pokerface40 wrote:I think the trade calculators are hogwash.
Nothing more really to be said.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

ajpmn01
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ajpmn01 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:54 pm

The offer:

Allen Hurns
Pierre Garcon
2017 1st
for
Le'Veon Bell

I declined and said I didn't understand why he thought that looked good. He replied that he had used a trade calculator that told him it was fair and gave me the link. The calculator returned a "93%" fair rating. Wow. I know Bell is discounted by a lot of people because of the injury, but that surprises me.

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:14 am

ajpmn01 wrote:The offer:

Allen Hurns
Pierre Garcon
2017 1st
for
Le'Veon Bell

I declined and said I didn't understand why he thought that looked good. He replied that he had used a trade calculator that told him it was fair and gave me the link. The calculator returned a "93%" fair rating. Wow. I know Bell is discounted by a lot of people because of the injury, but that surprises me.
This is my issue with trade calculators if common sense isn't applied. 1+1+1+1+1=5, 5+0=5. Basically Bell = 5 alone a bunch of average players added up equals 5. But any 1/2 wit playing Fantasy knows this is classic volume trade offer for 1 stud. The calculators can be a valuable tool used correctly but like anything used wrong worthless.
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:14 am

He's using a bad calculator. Or he's assuming that first is the 1.1.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:38 am

I have a commish and few league mates that will message me immediately after sending a trade offer saying, "trade calc says it's fair","accosting too trade calc it's 97%" fair. I find it a little insulting.

And is it a bad thing that I don't want a trade to be "fair"? I want to win every trade.

Dr.Graffin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dr.Graffin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:44 am

I like trade calculators simply because they are fun. Thanks for mentioning DTC. Had never used it before, but I like how it reflects the difference in trade value by equating it to a player or pick.

As long as you can account for the perspective of the calculator, I think they can be useful tools in dynasty football.
12 Team Non-PPR, 6pt TDs-22' R/U, 23' R/U
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: P. Mahomes, R. Tannehill
RB: D. Achane, D. Henry, J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, M. Sanders
WR: T. Hill, D. Smith, D. J. Moore, D. Samuel, T. Higgins, D. Hopkins, O. Beckham, D. Wicks, J. Metchie
TE: T. Kelce, C. Kmet, H. Henry, M. Gesicki
K: J. Tucker
D/ST: Baltimore, Jacksonville
2024 Picks: 4.9

12 Team .5 PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 3Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: J. Love, J. Herbert
RB: S. Barkley, J. Cook, I. Pacheco, Br. Robinson, D. Singletary, D. Pierce
WR: D. J. Moore, J. Waddle, Z. Flowers, T. Higgins, C. Watson, J. Downs, J. Dotson, R. Shaheed
TE: T. McBride, H. Henry, M. Gesicki, C. Okonkwo, J. Woods
K: T. Bass
D/ST: Jacksonville, Indianapolis
2024 Picks: 2.7, 3.2, 4.11

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Dr.Graffin wrote:I think they can be useful tools in dynasty football.
Even if you like them perhaps in a redraft, given the increasing likelihood of error year over year I cannot envision their usefulness in dynasty.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:05 pm

ajpmn01 wrote:The offer:

Allen Hurns
Pierre Garcon
2017 1st
for
Le'Veon Bell

If Hurns goes about 50th in a startup, garcon goes about 180th, and a random 1st might be valued about 70th (where 1.6 typically goes), and Bell is about 11th on ADP, I put those numbers into the calcs above and the FBG says you lose 26% value and the second says you lost 3% value.