Kevin Smith

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:Skip, you seem to always support the "average" talented RBs as if they will stay starting RBs for a decade of something. Just go back something like 5-7 years and you'll see so much turn over its amazing. The only guys to really "stick" are the RBs who have ultra-elite talent. Otherwise, you're best selling a RB with average talent after you've used him for a year, or two at most. Beyond that, they won't stick around as a starter.
I don't disagree with your analysis that the average talent wont stick...but that is if they are faced with another RB on the roster who is at least as good if not better.

Smith is a good back in a good situation without another viable RB on the roster. If the Lions don't bring in the "ultra elite" talent, he has plenty of opportunity to win the job back from whoever fills in for his absence because he is talented enough to do so.

On the other thread of top 12s you will note that I have mentioned Mendy as a possibility to finish there this coming season. Is he elite? No. He is a good back in a good situation.

They are both backs who have the ability to keep their jobs if there is no one there to imminently challenge them. You can disagree with me on Mendy if you wish. I know most of the members of the board do. I've had my opinion of him since well before he was drafted and it hasn't changed.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:20 pm

skip wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote:Skip, you seem to always support the "average" talented RBs as if they will stay starting RBs for a decade of something. Just go back something like 5-7 years and you'll see so much turn over its amazing. The only guys to really "stick" are the RBs who have ultra-elite talent. Otherwise, you're best selling a RB with average talent after you've used him for a year, or two at most. Beyond that, they won't stick around as a starter.
I don't disagree with your analysis that the average talent wont stick...but that is if they are faced with another RB on the roster who is at least as good if not better.

Smith is a good back in a good situation without another viable RB on the roster. If the Lions don't bring in the "ultra elite" talent, he has plenty of opportunity to win the job back from whoever fills in for his absence because he is talented enough to do so.

On the other thread of top 12s you will note that I have mentioned Mendy as a possibility to finish there this coming season. Is he elite? No. He is a good back in a good situation.

They are both backs who have the ability to keep their jobs if there is no one there to imminently challenge them. You can disagree with me on Mendy if you wish. I know most of the members of the board do. I've had my opinion of him since well before he was drafted and it hasn't changed.
I'll say it again and not because of who I root for...Kevin Smith is not in the same class as Mendenhall, plain and simple. Telent first and foremost and even situation now with Smith's injury.