Kevin Smith

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Kevin Smith

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 am

Kevin Smith's tenure as the Lions' starting running back is most likely over, according to MLive.com.

Our View: Smith averaged just 3.4 yards per carry during his sophomore NFL campaign, and the team is said to like him better as a back-up. It's unclear whom they might target this offseason to take his starting job, though Willis McGahee immediately comes to mind.
Rotoworld

What do you think?

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Kevin Smith

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 am

Steelersfan wrote:Kevin Smith's tenure as the Lions' starting running back is most likely over, according to MLive.com.

Our View: Smith averaged just 3.4 yards per carry during his sophomore NFL campaign, and the team is said to like him better as a back-up. It's unclear whom they might target this offseason to take his starting job, though Willis McGahee immediately comes to mind.
Rotoworld

What do you think?
i call bs. i still think hes the man in detroit. even if he isnt hes a great buy low.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:05 am

At the very least they need a reliable compliment to him though. The can't going into next year with the risk of him not being back 100% for the season. In their eyes they have to view him as a #2 and hope he proves them wrong. my 2 cents...

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Kevin Smith's tenure as the Lions' starting running back is most likely over, according to MLive.com.

Rotoworld

What do you think?
i call bs. i still think hes the man in detroit. even if he isnt hes a great buy low.
I agree. Smith will be fine once he is recovered.

As to the possibilities of another running back, I believe the ideal candidate would be Lendale White. He's got the size to be the nice complimentary back to Smith.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 am

skip wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:

Rotoworld

What do you think?

As to the possibilities of another running back, I believe the ideal candidate would be Lendale White. He's got the size to be the nice complimentary back to Smith.
That would be a good signing.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 am

Steelersfan wrote:
skip wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote: i call bs. i still think hes the man in detroit. even if he isnt hes a great buy low.

That would be a good signing.
I wouldn't be surprised to see McGahee or White in Det next season. I would be surprised if they took Smith's starting job away from him (assuming he is healthy).

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am

Is he expected to be 100% ready by the start of next year?

If so, I think he can win the job, but if not, who knows. It is always a question mark when you are looking to win your job back and anyone who gets plugged in there, whether it is a free agent or some young guy in the program, could light it up and be difficult to unseat.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 am

Orca wrote:Is he expected to be 100% ready by the start of next year?

If so, I think he can win the job, but if not, who knows. It is always a question mark when you are looking to win your job back and anyone who gets plugged in there, whether it is a free agent or some young guy in the program, could light it up and be difficult to unseat.
That is just it...they don't know if he will be 100% by next year. I think it isn't just possible...it is likely they bring in someone else capable of handling a full load just in case he is out longer than expected.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Why is it that everyone assumes that "once a starting RB, always a starting RB" for these guys?

It happens ALL the time where a runner gets a couple of years and fades away into a back up role as players with higher talent take their job.

I've been saying that Kevin Smith is that type of player all along. I haven't changed my mind. And, it's refreshing to see someone else starting to get the picture too.

Every year we have 3-8+ RBs enter the NFL that have "starter" caliber talent from the rookie draft. Unless a guy has "elite" talent, he's not going to stick as a starter long term because of this. There just aren't enough starting spots in the NFL for that to happen.

Kevin Smith is a hot potato. If you got caught holding him right now, sell while you can still find people that believe in him like the above posters.

Just my recommendation.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:54 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:Why is it that everyone assumes that "once a starting RB, always a starting RB" for these guys?

It happens ALL the time where a runner gets a couple of years and fades away into a back up role as players with higher talent take their job.

I've been saying that Kevin Smith is that type of player all along. I haven't changed my mind. And, it's refreshing to see someone else starting to get the picture too.

Every year we have 3-8+ RBs enter the NFL that have "starter" caliber talent from the rookie draft. Unless a guy has "elite" talent, he's not going to stick as a starter long term because of this. There just aren't enough starting spots in the NFL for that to happen.

Kevin Smith is a hot potato. If you got caught holding him right now, sell while you can still find people that believe in him like the above posters.

Just my recommendation.
The backs I see who come in with "Starter but not elite" talent that are quickly replaced are undersized backs who don't have Chris Johnson level talent. If you can't take a beating and also aren't elite, you have very little value to an offense as a starting RB.

Kevin Smith CAN take a beating, and carry the ball 30 times a game and play all 3 downs. A lot of teams like consistency in their RB position and don't want to be swapping them out every other play. (read browns, lions, steelers etc) With all that said - don't go overpaying for Smith right now. He is injured and may or may not get his job back depending on how they draft. I was a full supporter when he was healthy and had the starting job locked up but now you have to play wait and see.
Last edited by thevidon2 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:54 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:Every year we have 3-8+ RBs enter the NFL that have "starter" caliber talent from the rookie draft. Unless a guy has "elite" talent, he's not going to stick as a starter long term because of this. There just aren't enough starting spots in the NFL for that to happen.
This is the very definition of what I see in other players like Mendenhall. Yet people are tripping over themselves to get him while thinking Smith's value is heading into the tank. There are plenty of teams without elite talent at running back. Unless the Lions acquire an "elite" talent, then Smith is going to continue to get the body of work if he is healthy.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56 pm

skip wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote:Every year we have 3-8+ RBs enter the NFL that have "starter" caliber talent from the rookie draft. Unless a guy has "elite" talent, he's not going to stick as a starter long term because of this. There just aren't enough starting spots in the NFL for that to happen.
This is the very definition of what I see in other players like Mendenhall. Yet people are tripping over themselves to get him while thinking Smith's value is heading into the tank. There are plenty of teams without elite talent at running back. Unless the Lions acquire an "elite" talent, then Smith is going to continue to get the body of work if he is healthy.
Except you are wrong because Mendenhall has elite talent. :P

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:49 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
skip wrote:
Except you are wrong because Mendenhall has elite talent. :P
Very true.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

dont get me started on mendy skip.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:dont get me started on mendy skip.
As much as I like the Skipper, keep in mind that this is the same guy that said PIT would sign LenWhale this off-season to start for them, or that they would re-sign Parker to remain the starter since Mendenhall was such a terrible bust. I'll take both those bets, btw. :P
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars