Wes Welker

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 pm

hostile wrote:
highballers wrote:Could have easily happened in week three. They play a sport that places extreme demands on the body. They signed the dotted line to play. Finish the season. I hate the whole rest starters idea and that's just not from a fantasy football view. I work in a dangerous enviroment. How would my employer look on it if I decided "Hey its getting close to my son's birthday, don't want to be injured, so I think I'm not going to show up for the next week."? Man up and play.

I should add that I'm sorry that Welker was injured. As a huge fan of the NFL, I don't want to see players hurt. The point of my rant is if healthly...play the game.
I dont know what you do for a living, HB, but equating taking time off for your son's birthday, and the literally MILLIONS of dollars at stake in the playoff doesnt even border on a logical comparison.

Each playoff game won translates into big dollars for everyone involved. I too would rest my starters if I had a playoff seed locked up.

It also gives the coaching and management staff time to see what they have on their bench to work with in a live, in-season situation rather than the vacuum of team practice.
You're right, ridiculous comparision. I was just trying to say, concentrate on the here and now. When someone either I work with or play team sports with start worrying about getting hurt then usually their focus on the task is gone. I'm an all out type of person in about everything I do...just competitive by nature and no way am I going to sit and watch a game when I can play. My attitude would be "I'm a starter, therefore...I start." This whole mindset of protecting players from the nature and risks of the game bothers me. But I get the whole business aspect of it, I guess I'm addressing a players attitude. To be frank, I'd be PO'd and everyone would know about it.

wiSconi-Fan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby wiSconi-Fan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Report: Wes Welker tears his ACL and MCL

Welker
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Wes Welker has initially been diagnosed with a torn ACL and MCL.
It's the same injury that knocked Tom Brady out for the season in 2008. Unfortunately, Welker won't get the same 16-week head start to rehab. Barring a borderline miraculous recovery, Welker will be a strong candidate to begin next year on the PUP list, which would keep him out until Week 7. Julian Edelman will be the Pats' primary slot receiver in the postseason, and most likely keep the job through the start of 2010. Jan. 3 - 6:37 pm et
12 Team Standard(Non PPR) Dynasty league
Start: QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, D, K

QB: Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Brett Favre
RB: Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Brandon Jacobs, Michael Bush, Bernard Scott
WR:Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Sydney Rice, Eddie Royal, Josh Morgan, Brandon Lafell
TE: Dallas Clark, Jimmy Graham, Brandon Pettigrew
K: Neil Rackers
D: Falcons

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 pm

wiSconi-Fan wrote:Report: Wes Welker tears his ACL and MCL

Welker
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Wes Welker has initially been diagnosed with a torn ACL and MCL.
It's the same injury that knocked Tom Brady out for the season in 2008. Unfortunately, Welker won't get the same 16-week head start to rehab. Barring a borderline miraculous recovery, Welker will be a strong candidate to begin next year on the PUP list, which would keep him out until Week 7. Julian Edelman will be the Pats' primary slot receiver in the postseason, and most likely keep the job through the start of 2010. Jan. 3 - 6:37 pm et
Ouch...this hurts a lot of my teams....Time to get to work I guess :?

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Welker
I think Welker will be doing almost nothing next year. With his skill set he needs his quickness and speed. He won't have that back until 2011.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Bad news for Welker and his owners. Good news for those who stashed Edelman though.

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Steelersfan wrote:Bad news for Welker and his owners. Good news for those who stashed Edelman though.
:twisted:

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:39 pm

hostile wrote:
highballers wrote:Could have easily happened in week three. They play a sport that places extreme demands on the body. They signed the dotted line to play. Finish the season. I hate the whole rest starters idea and that's just not from a fantasy football view. I work in a dangerous enviroment. How would my employer look on it if I decided "Hey its getting close to my son's birthday, don't want to be injured, so I think I'm not going to show up for the next week."? Man up and play.

I should add that I'm sorry that Welker was injured. As a huge fan of the NFL, I don't want to see players hurt. The point of my rant is if healthly...play the game.
I dont know what you do for a living, HB, but equating taking time off for your son's birthday, and the literally MILLIONS of dollars at stake in the playoff doesnt even border on a logical comparison.

Each playoff game won translates into big dollars for everyone involved. I too would rest my starters if I had a playoff seed locked up.

It also gives the coaching and management staff time to see what they have on their bench to work with in a live, in-season situation rather than the vacuum of team practice.
the principal is the same though. Millions of dollars always seems to change things in peoples minds, when in principal it doesnt change anything. The fact is if they were going to bench their starters any game they should have ONLY sat their players in the Buffalo game. At least that was a MEANINGLESS game, ON THE ROAD, in TERRIBLE conditions - thats logical, and far more understandable...instead they benched their players in a MEANINGFUL GAME, AT HOME, in A DOME....ON TOP OF the fact that they were going for history. The public would have been way more sympathetic if they benched their players in the Buffalo game...but benching their players in the Jets game was wrong on all fronts, regardless of what anybody says, and everyone knows it.

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Ach...this destroys his trade value, as I have been actively shopping him. Luckily, it is a TD only league so his value is not as high anyways as in standard leagues...
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:48 pm

I know this won't add much value to this thread, but I just saw Welker's injury on the sports highlights tonight...

Speaking as someone who is only 4.5 weeks out from having had major knee surgery, that made my stomach turn... I could barely watch the re-run.

Someone mentioned above that he will be a no-show in 2010 but should be okay in 2011.

I should remind you, that if you pay attention to players who have reconstructive knee surgery are generally not back to their former level of production for nearly two years.

I think he starts 2010 on the PUP, comes back, struggles, starts 2011, and still has to knock the rust off.

Now, at first blush, 2011 is two seasons away, but 2009 is pretty much done. I would not be surprised if Welker wasnt back to form until late 2011, if not, I think 2012 is a more realistic time table.

Hell, Brady had all of last year off, the offseason, and then struggled this year - and he does not rely on high-speed running/cutting to play the game.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if his 2011 season isnt back up to par, and by then, who knows if Moss will be what he is now to stretch the field and draw away the high coverage help.

Just some things to think about when you are trying to buy Welker low or plan on holding...

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:01 pm

hostile wrote:I know this won't add much value to this thread, but I just saw Welker's injury on the sports highlights tonight...

Speaking as someone who is only 4.5 weeks out from having had major knee surgery, that made my stomach turn... I could barely watch the re-run.

Someone mentioned above that he will be a no-show in 2010 but should be okay in 2011.

I should remind you, that if you pay attention to players who have reconstructive knee surgery are generally not back to their former level of production for nearly two years.

I think he starts 2010 on the PUP, comes back, struggles, starts 2011, and still has to knock the rust off.

Now, at first blush, 2011 is two seasons away, but 2009 is pretty much done. I would not be surprised if Welker wasnt back to form until late 2011, if not, I think 2012 is a more realistic time table.

Hell, Brady had all of last year off, the offseason, and then struggled this year - and he does not rely on high-speed running/cutting to play the game.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised if his 2011 season isnt back up to par, and by then, who knows if Moss will be what he is now to stretch the field and draw away the high coverage help.

Just some things to think about when you are trying to buy Welker low or plan on holding...
I agree.

I think he'll be back in 2011 but it won't be at full speed. And, by 2012, who knows what the Pats will look like. This injury is actually really poorly timed for Welker, if you CAN have one timed well. 2010 he'll be a no go though.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:26 pm

I think people are jumping the gun a bit here regarding this injury, as we still don't know exactly the extent of his injury and there is a possibility that things aren't as bad as you think. Its 9 months until he would be in danger of missing any actual games for next season, and some people have better recoveries than others with injuries like this. I'm not saying that the 2010 season looks great for Welker right now, but things may not be as bad as they seem either.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 am

Shawn wrote:I think people are jumping the gun a bit here regarding this injury, as we still don't know exactly the extent of his injury and there is a possibility that things aren't as bad as you think. Its 9 months until he would be in danger of missing any actual games for next season, and some people have better recoveries than others with injuries like this. I'm not saying that the 2010 season looks great for Welker right now, but things may not be as bad as they seem either.
ESPN's Adam Schefter and the Boston Globe both report that Wes Welker has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and MCL.

It's the same injury that knocked Tom Brady out for the season in 2008. Unfortunately, Welker won't get the same 16-week head start to rehab. Barring a borderline miraculous recovery, Welker will be a strong candidate to begin next year on the PUP list, which would keep him out until Week 7. Julian Edelman will be the Pats' primary slot receiver in the postseason, and most likely keep the job through the start of 2010.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 am

Welker will play in 2010. I had the same injury almost 9 years ago, and I returned to action 9 months post op. That was 9 years ago. The advances in this procedure are astonishing, and if Welker realy dedicates himself to his rehab(i am sure he will), then he will be fine.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm

hosler427 wrote:

Welker
Ouch...this hurts a lot of my teams....Time to get to work I guess :?

Yeah, Me too!!!!! :cry: :evil:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:Welker will play in 2010. I had the same injury almost 9 years ago, and I returned to action 9 months post op. That was 9 years ago. The advances in this procedure are astonishing, and if Welker realy dedicates himself to his rehab(i am sure he will), then he will be fine.
You injured both!?!? Ouch...:shock:

----------------
Now playing: Red - Already Over