What to make of a couple of RBs going forward.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

What to make of a couple of RBs going forward.

Postby kris_kapsner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:58 am

I'm curious to get some thoughts from a dynasty perspective on some RBs that can be had pretty cheap in my league.

If you can break down your thoughts on each of the following RBs for me that would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm most interested in your thoughts on these.
Lendale White
Clinton Portis

If you have more time, your thoughts on these would be great too.
Willis McGahee
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Leon Washington
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 am

Lendale White - I think he can be a featured back in the NFL. The question is will a team give him the opportunity? I'm thinking he will be in a time share somewhere.

Portis - Not quite done yet. Missing the last 8 games of the season may actually help his body heal so he can return as a fantasy starter again.

McGahee - Lack of playing time may have actually helped him get healthy as with Portis. If he gets out of Baltimore he could be fantasy relevant depending on where he lands.

Thomas Jones - Greene will continue to cut into his workload and he isn't getting any younger. I'd stay away unless you can get him very cheap.

Westbrook - Time share going forward. I think he still has value but I would only trust him in deeper leagues as a flex play.

Washington - I still only see him as a change of pace back with little upside.

Entropy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Entropy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Portis - I would be SHOCKED if Portis returned to the Redskins. Early 2008 when Zorn's OL hadn't collapsed yet, and the offense was passing enough to back the 8th man out, Portis was KILLING people. So as recently as then he still had it. And the OL wasn't anything more than mediocre, even then. But even then it was still obvious he no longer has the extra gear he had in Denver. Remember, while Portis is young he has a lot of miles on his tires, and the way he pass protects and does not shy away from contact despite being a bit light...his miles have been rougher than average.

But this year's troubles were not just the OL and environment. Betts, Cartwright, Mason, Ganther...everyone outperformed Portis behind that same craptastic OL. Portis showed up to camp out of shape and nursing injured ankles. He was never right, and you have to wonder what went on with his offseason. Given his mileage and the plethora of better RB options out there, it is hard for me to believe that he lands in a franchise back situation again.
--Entropy ===GO SKINS===
10-team .25PPR league 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1W/T, 1W/R, 1K, 1DEF, 11 BN, 1 IR
QB: Rodgers(Gb), Ryan(Atl)
RB: Martin(Tb), Lynch(Sea), Spiller(Buf), Miller (Mia), Ingram(NO), Hyde (SF)
WR: Cobb(Gb), Crabtree(Sf), Bowe (Kc), Hartline(Mia), Shorts(Jac), Gordon(Cle), Jeffery(Chi), Hunter(Ten), Quick(StL)
TE: Eifert(Cin), Kelce(KC), Fleener(Ind), Amaro(NyJ)
K: varies
DEF: Arizona

hostile
Starter
Starter

Re: What to make of a couple of RBs going forward.

Postby hostile » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 pm

kris_kapsner wrote:I'm curious to get some thoughts from a dynasty perspective on some RBs that can be had pretty cheap in my league.

If you can break down your thoughts on each of the following RBs for me that would be helpful. Thanks.

Lendale White
Clinton Portis

Willis McGahee
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Leon Washington
Lendale White - could easily be a starter on a few teams. I bought low on him a few weeks back hoping for this situation to occur.

Clinton Portis - I think he's done. Even though he's still "young", he has too much mileage on him. I put him in with LT/Westy - great runners who are in decline. One, *maybe* two more years of RB2/3/Flex status... and note he also had trouble recovering from a concussion, like Westy.

Willis McGahee - if he goes to the right situation, could still be a solid fantasy play.

Thomas Jones - As said above, Greene is gaining momentum. The time to sell high has passed, the time to buy low is coming.

Brian Westbrook - The injuries are obviously starting to mount. The concussions this year are a very real concern. This could be another Trent Green situation.

Leon Washington - Same as Darren Sproles. Third down/CoP back. Can be a great flex play when the matchup is there, but I would not want to rely on him.

dmacizdman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dmacizdman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:38 pm

white has to go back to drinking high-calorie mixed drinks. i think him losing all that weight actually hurt him.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:21 pm

hostile wrote:
kris_kapsner wrote:I'm curious to get some thoughts from a dynasty perspective on some RBs that can be had pretty cheap in my league.

Lendale White
Clinton Portis

Willis McGahee
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Leon Washington
Lendale White - could easily be a starter on a few teams. I bought low on him a few weeks back hoping for this situation to occur.

Clinton Portis - I think he's done. Even though he's still "young", he has too much mileage on him. I put him in with LT/Westy - great runners who are in decline. One, *maybe* two more years of RB2/3/Flex status... and note he also had trouble recovering from a concussion, like Westy.

Willis McGahee - if he goes to the right situation, could still be a solid fantasy play.

Thomas Jones - As said above, Greene is gaining momentum. The time to sell high has passed, the time to buy low is coming.

Brian Westbrook - The injuries are obviously starting to mount. The concussions this year are a very real concern. This could be another Trent Green situation.

Leon Washington - Same as Darren Sproles. Third down/CoP back. Can be a great flex play when the matchup is there, but I would not want to rely on him.
This is pretty much spot on.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 pm

hostile wrote:

Lendale White
Clinton Portis

Willis McGahee
Thomas Jones
Brian Westbrook
Leon Washington

I sold Thomas Jones for a late 1st in my draft this year and acquired Matt Stafford. Hopefully that move I made was good.

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:37 pm

I think White is the most interesting of the group; but I would only be interested as a flier until I see where he lands.

Thomas Jones should still have relevance next even with the Jets; he will be in some form of RBBC though. The rest are health questions, even Washington.