Young Horses: Stampeding or Temporary Crossing?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Young Horses: Stampeding or Temporary Crossing?

Postby KMA » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 pm

So much has been made about who is better, Gurley or DJ. This thread is the opposite. I am curious to know which running backs do you see as true young horses (the Priest Holmes, LT, Shawn Alexander, Steven Jacksons) and who you view as situational backs who will likely be short lived starters until someone better comes along. Feel free to include college players possibly coming out this year and next.

No doubt about it:

Bell
Gurley
DJ

Excluding aging backs of course... AD

Does EZE fit the mold? Who else is worthy of carrying the torch?

Fournette?
Chubb?

In other words...who is for real? Who are your elite backs?

Thoughts?
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Young Horses: Stampeding or Temporary Crossing?

Postby ImaRounder » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 pm

EZE fits the mold as a true horse.. three down back right out of college. Matt Forte-esque.
Fournette is the truth. When people compare TG to AP I just shake my head, my comparison, if any to AP, is Fournette.
The most under the radar work horse coming to the league is Dalvin Cook. If there is ever a comparison to LT, it's this guy.
Chubb is a guy that will flame out, IMO.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:24 am

im having a hard time giving you an honest answer here if your looking for elite ppr backs. im just not sure there is an answer to be honest. explosive rb's are going to get touches and in turn steal touches from the "bell cows". teams are going rbbc and while some teams may lean on just 1 guy...the pts received in receptions by the guys in time shares seems to make up alot of the difference on a week to week basis. im not sure i see a big week to week diffence in a guy who averages 17 and a guy averages 14. both players are going to have up and down weeks. i believe ap only finished as a top 5 rb three times this season...some guys did that a few more times and im sure you wouldnt consider them elite...yet they were the better start, more weeks. i believe gurley finished there 3 times aswell. not going to list who else fell in this category or who had more games...but you get the idea.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 am

Hi,
Good question. Going to be some short lists! Once we're outside of the top 2 - I don't count DJ - and Zeke we're guessing/speculating/pissing into the wind so some of these guys are highly, highly unlikely to get there, but if we're imagining those that could just maybe...

LeVeon- yup
Gurley-yup

DJ-Got to say I don't really understand how we have all anointed DJ already. Do we even know he's any good as a runner? Great receiving threat and good in space, but I haven't seen much to make me think I'd put money on him getting through a crowded box. I'm amazed how highly he's rated to be honest.

Melvin-I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon is a bust, but to me he's probably the likeliest of any back currently in the league to get all the way up to elite status. He might be nothing and I'm all over the map with him and nervous where I own him, but I can see him getting here.

Zeke -looks like the likeliest guy from the draft.

Henry- I wouldn't write off Henry either. I know he lacks some lateral agility, but the DBs are going to be digging foxholes on the edges and I think he's got the speed to rack up some big gains.

Don't know if he'll ever get the touches, but Lamar Miller's pretty damn good.

Doug Martin played brilliantly last year. Watched every snap of his games and he was fantastic in traffic and in space. Backs get hurt, but it seems like Dougie got injured and because he bounced back in a contract year we're all suspicious.

Yuk it up at this one - especially if you're a draft spot snob - but I can see CJ Anderson as a long-shot option here.
(Pauses for scornful laughter)

Don't give up on DeMarco if he moves.

In the ridiculously unlikely eventuality that he stops getting hurt, Ryan Mathews could do it.

OK, maybe I'm pushing it now...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:33 am

All of these guys are far too young and inexperienced at this point.

Literally any one of those 6 young guys you mentioned could be basically irrelevant in 3-5 years.

All it takes is repeat injuries or a bad situation.

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 am

PhadedCN wrote:All of these guys are far too young and inexperienced at this point.

Literally any one of those 6 young guys you mentioned could be basically irrelevant in 3-5 years.

That is literally exactly what the OP is asking. Who, in your opinion, will be irrelevant in 3-5 years and who would you put money on lasting to 30 in the top tier.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st

KAT
Starter
Starter

Postby KAT » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:56 am

Jerrick McKinnon

Buy now. Price is much lower than last year this time. And AP is headed to "just a guy" status soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12 team - Sflex PPR - TEP - Champion 2021-2022
Q(1-2)-Jackson, Dak, Lance, Love, Huntley
RB(2-4)-JT, Mixon, JK, Barkley
WR(3-5)-Chase, Hill, Diggs, Cooks, Hollywood, Aiyuk, Jeudy, T. Johnson, J. Washington, Reagor
TE(1-3)-Waller, Moreau, Tonyan
DL(3-4)- Burns, Davenport, Gregory
LB(3-4)-Kendricks, Okereke, JOK, Shaq, Bolton, Jamin, Gay
DB(3-4)-Dugger, Ryan, Amos, Deablo
2022 picks - none
2023 picks all of my own

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 am

Haugs32 wrote:Jerrick McKinnon

Buy now. Price is much lower than last year this time. And AP is headed to "just a guy" status soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McKinnon doesn't strike me as an every down back, though he could have PPR appeal

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:26 am

^ That and there are going to be a few very solid and perhaps true 3 down workhorses available in the draft next year...McKinnon may never even get the opportunity to show he can be more than a PPR back
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Hawks Nest 12th Man
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hawks Nest 12th Man » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:23 am

The only back I am staking claim to be workhorse stud with 1 year experience or incoming rookies is Gurley. I LOVE L Bell but his height and running style open him up to a lot of shots to knees. If he comes out on fire I may trade him.

Rawls > DJ for me. DJ has 2 things over Rawls receiving ability and finished rookie season w/o injury. I weigh the latter heavily with RBs but 5.6 YPC over 100+ touches borders on elite for any rookie. But neither can I give stamp of approval for future elite RB over next 3-5 seasons.

Incoming rookies Elliot, Fournette, Chubb, Cook all have potential.

Sorry my answer is so cookie cutter but I just don't feel great about any RB except Gurley. Own zero shares of Gurley but wish I did with scarcity of position
DONKEY PUNCHERS....12 teams start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1flex rb/wr/te, te, k, d/sp, 0.5ppr, all tds 6pts, 0.1pt run/rec yd, .033pt pass yd, .04 return yd all return tds 6pts, 20 player roster, 1 IR Spot, 2pt bonus all tds over 50yds...
QBs Luck, Mayfield
RBs McCaffery, Kerryon, Drake, Breida, Gio
WRs C. Davis, T Boyd, D Hamilton, Kupp, Westbrook, MVS, Callaway
TEs Engram, Graham, Hurst
DEF/SP Bills
K Elliot

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:28 am

DrNoish wrote:
PhadedCN wrote:All of these guys are far too young and inexperienced at this point.

That is literally exactly what the OP is asking. Who, in your opinion, will be irrelevant in 3-5 years and who would you put money on lasting to 30 in the top tier.
I wouldn't put money on any of them - but then again, I invest in cheap RB options rather than paying a premium for an RB.

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:16 pm

I believe Yeldon is a young horse. Love what Jacksonville is putting together, & I believe he showed enough in his 1st year to be encouraged by. His price is slightly lower than where it was last year and have been buying where I can. He'd easily be the #2 rb in this class and be the 1.02/1.03 imo.