Value of QB in a 1 QB league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Reljac
Captain
Captain

Re: "QBs are replaceable"

Postby Reljac » Tue May 03, 2016 6:48 am

IDPSteve wrote: One can disagree with my research or even my methods, but one thing should be clear, I did not write that article with an anti-QB bias (actually, I didn't research with an anti-QB bias, since it was written after research and I knew the outcome I guess you could say it was written with an anti-QB bias, but not in the way you infer), and intimating that I wrote something as a "flat out LIE OF STATISTICAL REPRESENTATION." is an unfair characterization and attach against my integrity. I saw something years ago that made me want to research how individual positions impacted fantasy results. Did I think that QB was less valuable than other positions? Yes, but did I write that article with an anti-QB bias? No and saying as much is a dig at my integrity and isn't something I take kindly too. But hey, I guess it is what it is. I've been asked tons of times why QB, why not RB or why not WR. And the answer has always been the same, because that's what the numbers dictated. By numbers I'm speaking of the metrics (pR and mR). The 61% and QB winz were used to help paint a picture. If I painted the picture incorrectly it wasn't intentional.
First off, thank you for your hard research and effort!

I do want to say though that from a statistical standpoint the "61% number" is rather a useless number unless you also include the Percentage for team wins when their top player at every other position. 61% moreso represents a margin of victory, not a positionally driven number. I will guess that you will produce higher win percentages for lower scoring positions when you look at removing each teams top drafted WR, 2nd drafted WR, and 3rd drafted WR, RB1, RB2, TE, etc.

Also, the fact that you only used 3 leagues is very discouraging despite all your hard work, unless you are going to argue that the top ADP QBs were owned by better than average owners for the leagues you play in. The number of leagues is too small suggest that this is any kind of average result in general ownership. it could just speak to the owners overweighting the QB position or not drafting well at other positions.

I understand you point that you attempted to go in unbiased, but the article is certainly written in a way as if you are proving your hypothesis as opposed to being open to wherever the data leads you and open to some of the immense flaws in the statistics that weren't discussed.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

IDPSteve
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Value of QB in a 1 QB league

Postby IDPSteve » Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am

I'd have liked to do more than 3 leagues (note that 2 were expert leagues) but finding leagues that didn't have trades involving QBs (since that would impact a team's results vs their draft) wasn't easy to do. As it was it took me a couple of months to gather the data from those 3 leagues. However, with that said, I reached out to Frank Dupont last year and we are working on some research that should cull information from every MFL league. I can't/won't get into specifics but I'm excited about what we may unlock.

You are correct that 61% is a margin of victory. I didn't say it in those terms but that is what it is. FWIW, I was shocked to find that number that high. As I did more research and it pointed to QB being the most replaceable position is what lead me to state it in the manner that I did. Maybe it was for shock value, but minimally it was to make people take notice.

The more I think about it, technically the article was written with bias, but every article is. That is if you've done your research in advance. Because without said research, you have nothing to write. But trust me, as I was doing the research I may have had an assumption of where the research would lead me but I was far from certain and was willing to let the data speak for itself and point me in the direction I needed to go. Speaking of writing, I could have probably written and additional 10K words for this article, but from my editor's eyes it was already a bit too long.
NFL Analyst/IDP Writer for TheHuddle.com
You can follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/SteveGalloNFL

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 04, 2016 8:07 am

IDPSteve wrote:
Valhalla wrote:
Goirish374 wrote:
weeeeeeell, not everyone shares your interpretation of that.

Gallo's conclusiong was that if you win 61% of your games with no QB but use a high draft pick on a QB to win 50.4%, then you are absolutely constructing a competitive disadvantage by giving up a high pick that could have gone to a position with more favorable miss rate and differential in point distribution.

ETA: i understand your objections to the way he uses those as presented in your prior post.
No, that is a flat out LIE OF STATISTICAL REPRESENTATION. Teams don't win 61% with no QB. WINNING SCORES STILL WIN 61% WITHOUT THE QB. (btw winning scores will win an even higher percentage without their #1 wr....what!?!?). All that percentage shows is that there is often a large gap in scores in ffb. A large enough gap to sustain the loss of a player. It is nothing but anti-QB bias that drives him to say it's the QB that can be subtracted.

The 50.4% I won't even go into again. I explained how he misrepresented that number already. All the 50% indicates is that you drafted a player in that ADP range that was offering nearly equal contribution to wins as other players in that ADP range.
One can disagree with my research or even my methods, but one thing should be clear, I did not write that article with an anti-QB bias (actually, I didn't research with an anti-QB bias, since it was written after research and I knew the outcome I guess you could say it was written with an anti-QB bias, but not in the way you infer), and intimating that I wrote something as a "flat out LIE OF STATISTICAL REPRESENTATION." is an unfair characterization and attach against my integrity. I saw something years ago that made me want to research how individual positions impacted fantasy results. Did I think that QB was less valuable than other positions? Yes, but did I write that article with an anti-QB bias? No and saying as much is a dig at my integrity and isn't something I take kindly too. But hey, I guess it is what it is. I've been asked tons of times why QB, why not RB or why not WR. And the answer has always been the same, because that's what the numbers dictated. By numbers I'm speaking of the metrics (pR and mR). The 61% and QB winz were used to help paint a picture. If I painted the picture incorrectly it wasn't intentional.

At the end of the day, we all are entitled to our own opinions but what someone can't say is what I was thinking, say I was wrong, sure, but what I was thinking, not possible.

Lastly, fwiw, I didn't say/write that 61% of teams win without their QB, I said, to paraphrase, 61% of teams that win do so without their QB. There is a difference and I understood that when writing the article. Here's exactly what I wrote, " The Win % column is the percentage of games that a team still won once their points at quarterback were zeroed out. The next column shows the average points a winning team lost by after their quarterback points were zeroed out." Considering that QBs are the highest scoring players in FF it goes without saying that zeroing out other positions would return similar if not better numbers. But the numbers didn't dictate to say it was another position. Also, fwiw, it took me months to research things and to work thru different calculations etc. My goal, was to to see what the numbers said, nothing more, nothing less.

One more thing, this article was written about re-draft leagues, not dynasty leagues or 2QB leagues.
Hey Steve,
Sorry to call out your article so harshly. In the above quoted post, I was moreso calling out GoIrish for misrepresenting your article (sorry goirish :biggrin: ) when I said a flat out lie, because I had read your article carefully and knew that wasn't what you had said.....but yes I do think your article has some rather large flaws :biggrin: , which I pointed out in an earlier post. I wasn't meaning to call out your integrity, saying you intentionally were misleading people. I was moreso saying that I believe you misunderstood your own findings....not sure you will take that any better though.

If you look at those numbers again, I think you would have to agree that the two percentages you compared are not comparable as they represent entirely different things. You could just as easily say the average losing percentage of a losing team is 38% (just made that up but probably not far off) and top 3 drafted QBs have a win contribution % at 50.4%, so they help your team......and that statement would be just as flawed with percentages that have nothing to do with each other.

Another thing....you just said "it goes without saying that zeroing out other positions would return similar if not better numbers. But the numbers didn't dictate to say it was another position."
Seems you agree with the flaw there, but never addressed it in your article. I don't think it's a good defense to say that the reader should just realize that so you don't need to write it. The point of your article was to convince the reader that the QB is a replaceable position, and the way you wrote this convinced many casual readers that their teams could survive without the QB even playing. That is true, but they could even more easily survive without a #1 WR (which you just agreed with in your quote). I'm not sure how you can claim no bias when you realize this. Based on the exact same research methods, you could write the same article titled Zero #1WR Theorem, Zero #1RB Theorem, and Zero TE Theorem, and every one of them would see an even bigger value than the 61%, so they would be more heavily supported....

Sorry for being a dick. I'm just pointing out the flaws. I DO THINK YOU HAVE SOMETHING VALUABLE HERE. I think you could write some really interesting articles using that win percentage correlation for positional ADP (where top three drafted QBs got 50.4% win contribution). If you studied this for all positions in a round by round basis, you may get some really interesting results. I would guess that top round RBs bust more often over the years than the WRs. The WRs would probably give you around 50% and the RBs below 50% due to the busts. TE in the first round would be almost purely Gronk recently, because even Jimmy Graham dropped in ADP start-up once dealt to the Seahawks. So TE round 1 would probably be above 50%, whereas someone taking a TE in round 2 would probably see that as below 50% (as anyone other than Gronk is a reach in round 2 and likely weakens those teams, on average). If you did this position by position, round by round, you could deliver a pretty damn good study (and a reproducible, annual article update) showing a decent team construction strategy for start-up drafters. A position over 50% for a round means that's the round to take that position. If a position is continuously failing to live up to the round ADP (say you find 3rd round RBs falling in at 35%, and 3rd round QBs fall in at 50%) you can shown that it is safer to draft a QB in round 3 than a RB. 50% is safety at that ADP, or positional worth (supported by a history of stats) for the ADP round. Over 50% and it's a likely value. Under 50% means avoid. Some of it I can guess what it would look like ahead of time (like Gronk being the only round 1 TE and since he has been historically a stud he will hold up at likely 50%+, but any round 2 TEs drafted (Jimmy, maybe Julius Thomas) were busts so the round 2 TE would be a low percentage, or a big no-no according to a study like this. It would be easy to show drafters to consider TE in round 1, then not again until whenever that number hits 50%+. That is common knowledge in FFB, but it isn't for all positions, and a study like this could give some real insight as to the average bust rates or success rates of, say, drafting RBs in rounds 4-5 vs rounds 6-8 and what that (on average) does to a team's win %. Basically, you could show how teams that grab RBs in rounds 5-7 fare in comparison to teams that nab them rounds 3-5, for example.

Sorry, this is way more long-winded than I intended. I meant to just say sorry for being a dick. I really do think you have something interesting though if you used those percentages in another manner.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 04, 2016 8:37 am

Also, Goirish, I know you weren't meaning to lie. Bad choice of words from me in the heat of arguing a point. It would have been more accurate to say it was a flat out misrepresentation of the stats. Lie is an ugly word, and implies that you intentionally mis-communicated. Sorry about that.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 am

Valhalla, in light these new comments I will take you off my kill list. That is all.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed May 04, 2016 11:10 am

Well that's a relief

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed May 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Valhalla wrote:Well that's a relief
Lol, I joke. To be continued. .....
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

IDPSteve
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby IDPSteve » Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Valhalla wrote:
Hey Steve,
Sorry to call out your article so harshly. In the above quoted post, I was moreso calling out GoIrish for misrepresenting your article (sorry goirish :biggrin: ) when I said a flat out lie, because I had read your article carefully and knew that wasn't what you had said.....but yes I do think your article has some rather large flaws :biggrin: , which I pointed out in an earlier post. I wasn't meaning to call out your integrity, saying you intentionally were misleading people. I was moreso saying that I believe you misunderstood your own findings....not sure you will take that any better though.

If you look at those numbers again, I think you would have to agree that the two percentages you compared are not comparable as they represent entirely different things. You could just as easily say the average losing percentage of a losing team is 38% (just made that up but probably not far off) and top 3 drafted QBs have a win contribution % at 50.4%, so they help your team......and that statement would be just as flawed with percentages that have nothing to do with each other.

Another thing....you just said "it goes without saying that zeroing out other positions would return similar if not better numbers. But the numbers didn't dictate to say it was another position."
Seems you agree with the flaw there, but never addressed it in your article. I don't think it's a good defense to say that the reader should just realize that so you don't need to write it. The point of your article was to convince the reader that the QB is a replaceable position, and the way you wrote this convinced many casual readers that their teams could survive without the QB even playing. That is true, but they could even more easily survive without a #1 WR (which you just agreed with in your quote). I'm not sure how you can claim no bias when you realize this. Based on the exact same research methods, you could write the same article titled Zero #1WR Theorem, Zero #1RB Theorem, and Zero TE Theorem, and every one of them would see an even bigger value than the 61%, so they would be more heavily supported....

Sorry for being a dick. I'm just pointing out the flaws. I DO THINK YOU HAVE SOMETHING VALUABLE HERE. I think you could write some really interesting articles using that win percentage correlation for positional ADP (where top three drafted QBs got 50.4% win contribution). If you studied this for all positions in a round by round basis, you may get some really interesting results. I would guess that top round RBs bust more often over the years than the WRs. The WRs would probably give you around 50% and the RBs below 50% due to the busts. TE in the first round would be almost purely Gronk recently, because even Jimmy Graham dropped in ADP start-up once dealt to the Seahawks. So TE round 1 would probably be above 50%, whereas someone taking a TE in round 2 would probably see that as below 50% (as anyone other than Gronk is a reach in round 2 and likely weakens those teams, on average). If you did this position by position, round by round, you could deliver a pretty damn good study (and a reproducible, annual article update) showing a decent team construction strategy for start-up drafters. A position over 50% for a round means that's the round to take that position. If a position is continuously failing to live up to the round ADP (say you find 3rd round RBs falling in at 35%, and 3rd round QBs fall in at 50%) you can shown that it is safer to draft a QB in round 3 than a RB. 50% is safety at that ADP, or positional worth (supported by a history of stats) for the ADP round. Over 50% and it's a likely value. Under 50% means avoid. Some of it I can guess what it would look like ahead of time (like Gronk being the only round 1 TE and since he has been historically a stud he will hold up at likely 50%+, but any round 2 TEs drafted (Jimmy, maybe Julius Thomas) were busts so the round 2 TE would be a low percentage, or a big no-no according to a study like this. It would be easy to show drafters to consider TE in round 1, then not again until whenever that number hits 50%+. That is common knowledge in FFB, but it isn't for all positions, and a study like this could give some real insight as to the average bust rates or success rates of, say, drafting RBs in rounds 4-5 vs rounds 6-8 and what that (on average) does to a team's win %. Basically, you could show how teams that grab RBs in rounds 5-7 fare in comparison to teams that nab them rounds 3-5, for example.

Sorry, this is way more long-winded than I intended. I meant to just say sorry for being a dick. I really do think you have something interesting though if you used those percentages in another manner.
Thanks for your reply...we're good!

The project I spoke of with Frank is right along the lines of what you sorta hit on. We are going to find out what wins drafts. And someday, I may actually finish my rV (Real Value draft value model) model.
NFL Analyst/IDP Writer for TheHuddle.com
You can follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/SteveGalloNFL

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:01 am

Valhalla wrote:Also, Goirish, I know you weren't meaning to lie. Bad choice of words from me in the heat of arguing a point. It would have been more accurate to say it was a flat out misrepresentation of the stats. Lie is an ugly word, and implies that you intentionally mis-communicated. Sorry about that.
no, that's totally my mistake. i forget the exact details but i was rushing, being careless and very clearly took what i understood in my brain and garbled it on the way to my mouth. er, keyboard. it was an appropriate correction.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:58 pm Addressing the positional scarcity:

When considering QBs and their overall depth, the number 32 is brought up a lot (32 weekly starters…seems pretty logical, right?). In a league starting only 12 on a weekly basis, that leaves 20 unstarted QBs per week. That’s pretty easy to plug and play………..On the other side of the coin, you have WRs and their often required 36 weekly starters. Some leagues even require 48 weekly starters (4WR 12 team). This whopping number makes people reason that pickings for WRs will be far more slim than the pickings for those 20 “free” QBs.

I guess most of this thread I have really been arguing for Rodgers, but I can understand people loving Cam, Luck, or Wilson as well, and Brees, Brady, Manning were consistently elite in the past. First, I want to lay out what Rodgers has done in his career, just so you understand where my prediction numbers are coming from. In standard scoring, he has put up (since his first year starting, using fantasydata.com) 290, 343, 304, 397, 344, injured in 2013, 354, and 301. The guy is nearly a lock for giving you the low 300s for total points, so let’s say that’s how we predict him, as a low 300s scorer, to be safe. And he’s as low risk as any player out there. Fair?

So what kind of QB would you have to own to make you cringe in this match-up? For purposes of not wasting too much time on trying to write for something I’m not paid for, let’s just say that you want your QB to at least score within 100 points (seasonal) of Rodgers. I mean, it’s pretty unacceptable to be predictably behind the other team’s QB by more than 6 points a week, is it not? So who was bad enough to score over 100 points lower than Rodgers’ floor? I looked at this as team QBs, as there were many carousels and that hurt QBs that didn’t get to start 16 games. Anyways, the teams that didn’t collectively score within 100 points of Rodgers’ ‘floor’ for lack of a better term, are MN, SF, CHI, PHI, TEN, BAL, STL, CLE, DEN, HOU. Lose count? That’s TEN teams that have QB carousels or just one bad starter that couldn’t combine their totals to get within 100 of Rodgers’ sub-par year. That brings the total down to 22 QBs (or team QBs rather) that can get within 100 of or exceed his floor. Think there aren’t 22 owned QBs in your league? There likely are. What I am showing you is the waiver fodder. The guys you can “just get off waivers.” Sure, they are starting QBs…….at a weekly average of 6.25 OR MORE POINTS WORSE than Rodgers on a bad year for Rodgers.

zombie thread...but I just had to

He's done it again. Dominating over the other "#1 QBs." Are the points your 2nd round WR gave you really harder to replace than this very safe point advantage? The track record of reliable dominance over his peers continues.

From ESPN:
Rodgers 365
Ryan 334
Brees 323
Luck 297
Cousins 290
Prescott 271
Stafford 267

So we had 6 QBs this year get within 100 points of Rodgers. Every other QB handed you at minimum a 6.25 PPG disadvantage against the team playing Rodgers.

Obviously he isn't the #1 every year. There are years he's got a couple guys that do better than him. Yet he's the ONLY guy that stays reliably inside the top 3 dominant QBs. The point per game drop at the top of the QBs is reliably steep every year (just like the 100 point drop in the top 6), and he's as safe of an elite PPG advantage as there is, at any position.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 pm

I will only bring up this year but your team needed to be pretty solid to make the playoffs with Rodgers as your QB1 this year.
He wasn't winning you many matchups the first 6 weeks or so. I think he wasn't even a QB1 in 12 team leagues but pretty much carried teams after that.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:07 pm

maxhyde wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 pm I will only bring up this year but your team needed to be pretty solid to make the playoffs with Rodgers as your QB1 this year.
He wasn't winning you many matchups the first 6 weeks or so. I think he wasn't even a QB1 in 12 team leagues but pretty much carried teams after that.
That is true...but that just speaks to how much more dominant he was in the back half of the season. Aren't players at other positions commended for carrying us in the playoffs?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm

A team in my league went from a non-playoff team the last 4 years to league champion after he acquired ARod. He traded Miller & Cooks (this community would call it an overpay) but he got his guy and his championship. He doesn't win it without him.

ARod provides you with a certain level of certainty on an every year basis that other QBs just don't.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm A team in my league went from a non-playoff team the last 4 years to league champion after he acquired ARod. He traded Miller & Cooks (this community would call it an overpay) but he got his guy and his championship. He doesn't win it without him.

ARod provides you with a certain level of certainty on an every year basis that other QBs just don't.
Fully agree with this. I'm mostly on board with the QB devaluation, especially in 10 or even 12 team leagues. But the elite QB's like Rodgers should legitimately command a premium. And I think he actually does in most leagues. Don't believe me? Try trading for him for just "good QB" prices. And in 16 team leagues, it's even worse. Basically every single starting QB in the NFL is rostered, with some teams even picking up 3. The very reason QB's are devalued in 10 team leagues (low replacement cost) is flipped on its head in 16 team leagues (high replacement cost) to the point of valuing QB's closer to superflex valuations than 10 team leagues. So in practice Rodgers is tough to get most anywhere, but nearly impossible in bigger leagues w/o an overpay, at least in my experience.

broncohead
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby broncohead » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 pm

In a 12 team league I am in we will be implementing a new rule that will help QBs score more points so they hold more value. Everyone in the league is now rostering 3 or more QBs and there is no starting QB in FA. This off season will be interesting to see how many are released. If not many are than QB prices will surely go up even more. Some teams have very little depth and no quality starters which will make it hard for those teams to win games.
48 team, 4 copy league, QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, SF, 4 flex
QB - Wentz, Tannehill, Mayfield, Jones, Alex Smith
RB - Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Akers, Henderson, Mostert, Mack, Bowden, Hill
WR - AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Gabriel Davis, Slayton, Hamler, Isabella
TE - Fant, Burton, Firkser, Keene, Okuegbunam
2021 Draft - 1.09, 3rd