Value of QB in a 1 QB league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Re: Value of QB in a 1 QB league

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Actually it is that simple. Too many people are stuck on qb1, wr1, wr2, wr3, rb1, etc. that crap is misleading. What is far more important is the total expected points of your starting lineup. If my best rb is Carlos Hyde, I'm not going to profess he's my rb1. I don't have a rb1, I have a rb 2-3. If you pass on elite qbs, you don't have a qb1....if you are going to be insistent on using those terms

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:11 pm

i'm a little surprised there were no responses to the Gallo article.

it specifically addressed some of the points that have been since i posted it. it seems silly to rely on "what i think" or "in my one league at band camp" when we have looked into this over 1800+ head to head matchups.

it leads me to conclude no one read it, which... :(
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Goirish374 wrote:i'm a little surprised there were no responses to the Gallo article.

it specifically addressed some of the points that have been since i posted it. it seems silly to rely on "what i think" or "in my one league at band camp" when we have looked into this over 1800+ head to head matchups.

it leads me to conclude no one read it, which... :(

I meant to read it and forgot.......don't be sad
I'll read it tonight

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Valhalla wrote:don't be sad
the best part is i picture your randy moss icon saying this...
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:17 pm

Google value drafting, baseline method, points over worst starter, etc. there seems to be few that understand any of this... it's just about making low-risk, high percentage shots.

I could post the entire science behind it, but that doesn't matter if you're just not into that kind of thing. Everyone calling for hard evidence, facts, etc. just need to seek it themselves. I have a draft with 95 other owners this week scouring this forum for tips.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 pm

I'd caution throwing out season long numbers for players and treating them as all things equal.

I've seen Jules post the "variability in scoring doesn't matter" article, and I believe that's true for the most part. The part that I don't believe in is that that ultra-variable player is going to be in the lineup to begin with. Ted Ginn scored 133 points (standard, which I don't play in very often so it's hard for me to debate). Great year, tied for WR24 in standard. But in reality...it was a great 3 games. He averaged less than 6 points from week 1-12. Not many people would be betting on Ginn in week 13 based on his previous 12 weeks.

We can now look at it, and say Ted Ginn's EV was this for the entire season. Well, great, but that didn't help the guys who sat Ted Ginn in week 13 and missed out on the playoffs.

As I tried saying before...post-hoc analysis is fine, but sometimes the conclusions drawn from it don't mesh up with reality.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:26 pm

Bruiser wrote:Google value drafting, baseline method, points over worst starter, etc. there seems to be few that understand any of this... it's just about making low-risk, high percentage shots.

I could post the entire science behind it, but that doesn't matter if you're just not into that kind of thing. Everyone calling for hard evidence, facts, etc. just need to seek it themselves. I have a draft with 95 other owners this week scouring this forum for tips.
Don't be such a condescending bleep. I suppose I better apologize for possibly doing the same, but seriously you should consider trying not to post how ignorant you think people are.

By the way, I understand value drafting and if you read my posts you would see that it was this same philosophy that makes me value Rodgers way up there. It's not for his total points, but his reliable dominance over his own position. If he dominates the average opposing QB at a higher ppg than a 2nd round wr dominates another team's wr, then he is the pick for me.

I respect your right to mistrust one of the most consistently dominant players in ffb though after getting burned by him twice (other obvious ones being Gronk and Antonio). These guys don't just dominate by being #1 but by scoring way higher than the average #1. That is Rodgers too, if you average out QB seasons.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:31 pm

akbfrosty wrote:I'd caution throwing out season long numbers for players and treating them as all things equal.

I've seen Jules post the "variability in scoring doesn't matter" article, and I believe that's true for the most part. The part that I don't believe in is that that ultra-variable player is going to be in the lineup to begin with. Ted Ginn scored 133 points (standard, which I don't play in very often so it's hard for me to debate). Great year, tied for WR24 in standard. But in reality...it was a great 3 games. He averaged less than 6 points from week 1-12. Not many people would be betting on Ginn in week 13 based on his previous 12 weeks.

We can now look at it, and say Ted Ginn's EV was this for the entire season. Well, great, but that didn't help the guys who sat Ted Ginn in week 13 and missed out on the playoffs.

As I tried saying before...post-hoc analysis is fine, but sometimes the conclusions drawn from it don't mesh up with reality.
That's a great point. No way I start Ginn in a 3wr set.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: "QBs are replaceable"

Postby ArrylT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:59 pm

a_yeti wrote:I'm no math scientist. I just say things, light them on fire and run in the opposite direction. Who in their right mind would listen to me? I just heard there was free pizza so I showed up with some opinions

I just started reading this thread - any chance I can nominate this for comment of the year - or has that already been done? :D
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Valhalla wrote:Don't be such a condescending bleep. I suppose I better apologize for possibly doing the same, but seriously you should consider trying not to post how ignorant you think people are.
Look, forgive me. I offer my opinion in a very Mike and Mike tone. We are all 'talking heads' here and do not have any real angst toward eachother. Don't get your feelings hurt because I hold my ground and make fun of your plaid pants in the process.

Sure, some personalities here understand value-based drafting. You'd also understand how variable the different formats are, and this is why all of us have a differing replacement value on QB1. My formats have too many players more valuable than QB1.

Maybe you are correct about your QB1 being elite in value because you have a unique scoring system.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:29 am

akbfrosty wrote:I'd caution throwing out season long numbers for players and treating them as all things equal.

Even after the first big week, how confident could you be in starting Ted Ginn? Unless you were desperate at the position, Ginn offered very little to most owners.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:34 am

I rode Ginn every week with great success as my starting WR5 in two leagues. His value was awesome since I found him on waivers.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:55 am

I've seen Jules post the "variability in scoring doesn't matter" article, and I believe that's true for the most part. The part that I don't believe in is that that ultra-variable player is going to be in the lineup to begin with.
Very good point, and Ginn is a good example. Doug Baldwin is another. Actually, that reminds me ...

https://twitter.com/julesdynasty/status ... 5117337601
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 pm

If you only start 3 WRs, then Ginn is possibly staying on the bench. Just like if you only start 1 QB, then Mariota is likely staying on the bench. That's not a difficult concept.

Ted Ginn gets huge credit for my championship in a 32-team league this year. We start four WRs, so that is the qualifying criteria.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Sure, I was starting Ted Ginn on a title team in my 10-team league with 5WR + flex starters. But even I'm not sure whether I got all of his good games in my lineup. Doubt it, actually.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!