Crabtree now?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Shawn wrote: Good points XOXO, Gore has one of the most extensive injury histories in the league, dating back to his college career, Gore's career may not last as long as many think, which could be an "Inconvenient Truth" for owners that didn't get Coffee as insurance . Elite TEs like Davis rarely lose their Red Zone Targets, and even the mediocre TEs in the league still seem to put up pretty good TD numbers.
7 missed games in 5 seasons is extensive? 4 straight 1000 yard seasons with ypc of 4.8, 5.4, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.9 He is the most wasted elite talent in the NFL - seeing fewer and fewer carries each season. How SJax is so much more respected than Gore despite more injury problems makes no sense at all.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

skip wrote:
Shawn wrote: Good points XOXO, Gore has one of the most extensive injury histories in the league, dating back to his college career, Gore's career may not last as long as many think, which could be an "Inconvenient Truth" for owners that didn't get Coffee as insurance . Elite TEs like Davis rarely lose their Red Zone Targets, and even the mediocre TEs in the league still seem to put up pretty good TD numbers.
7 missed games in 5 seasons is extensive? 4 straight 1000 yard seasons with ypc of 4.8, 5.4, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.9 He is the most wasted elite talent in the NFL - seeing fewer and fewer carries each season. How SJax is so much more respected than Gore despite more injury problems makes no sense at all.

Yes it is, considering in college he tore ligaments in BOTH knees causing him to miss 2 college seasons at the U. Its great that he was able to overcome everything to make it big in the NFL, but I would at least be cautious as to how much longer he'll last as a franchise back.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Shawn wrote:Yes it is, considering in college he tore ligaments in BOTH knees causing him to miss 2 college seasons at the U. Its great that he was able to overcome everything to make it big in the NFL, but I would at least be cautious as to how much longer he'll last as a franchise back.
In 2005 his two missed games were due to a groin injury.
2007 broken bones in his hand
2008 ankle
2009 sprained ankle

None of these are at all related to his knees and are relatively minor problems. I don't see an injury history here to be that concerned about.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:00 pm

skip wrote:
Shawn wrote:Yes it is, considering in college he tore ligaments in BOTH knees causing him to miss 2 college seasons at the U. Its great that he was able to overcome everything to make it big in the NFL, but I would at least be cautious as to how much longer he'll last as a franchise back.
2008 ankle
2009 sprained ankle

None of these are at all related to his knees and are relatively minor problems. I don't see an injury history here to be that concerned about.
Doesnt matter Skip....they arent going to unnecessarily INCREASE his workload being aware of those risks. They need him to stay healthy so they can be serious contenders....so with that said I dont see him getting anymore than 250-260 carries MAX.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:49 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:
skip wrote:
2008 ankle
2009 sprained ankle

Doesnt matter Skip....they arent going to unnecessarily INCREASE his workload being aware of those risks. They need him to stay healthy so they can be serious contenders....so with that said I dont see him getting anymore than 250-260 carries MAX.
It can also be important to not just look at strict games played or missed numbers. Gore played injured in many other games that he may have started and started some games he couldn't finish. That said, his production is what to go by and he's been very good when he gets a full compliment of touches. There were stretches of this season that he barely saw the ball and that is confusing. Coffee will have to get more involved (and play better). Gore remains a productive risk but still plays on a team that has a below-average offensive line and a QB who hasn't really been able to air it out, yet. He has barely cracked 1,000 yards rushing in any of the past 3 seasons. He's missed two full games due to injury each of the past two seasons. I would expect his production to continue at or below the level it's been the past two seasons - less than 250 carries, about 400 yards receiving and a handful of touchdowns - and count on at least two games missed. The bright side is that he'll be only 27 when next season starts.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm

princevincexoxo wrote:Doesnt matter Skip....they arent going to unnecessarily INCREASE his workload being aware of those risks. They need him to stay healthy so they can be serious contenders....so with that said I dont see him getting anymore than 250-260 carries MAX.
Being that they finished at 8-8 and would virtually completely abandon the running game by the half even in games where they had the lead, how is increasing his workload unnecessary? For the 49ers to be successful and reach the post season they need to be running the football more often. No way should that extra work be going to Coffee.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:15 am

Singletary has come out and said that the 2010 Niners will run a more "balanced" offense which many have interpretated as meaning that they will run the ball more.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:34 am

skip wrote:
princevincexoxo wrote:Doesnt matter Skip....they arent going to unnecessarily INCREASE his workload being aware of those risks. They need him to stay healthy so they can be serious contenders....so with that said I dont see him getting anymore than 250-260 carries MAX.
Being that they finished at 8-8 and would virtually completely abandon the running game by the half even in games where they had the lead, how is increasing his workload unnecessary? For the 49ers to be successful and reach the post season they need to be running the football more often. No way should that extra work be going to Coffee.
Maybe it wont be Coffee, but its going to go to someone other than Gore :D ....

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:21 am

I think Gore can still improve on his numbers if the Niners commit to the run more next year, even if he is getting spelled by Coffee who whoever else is backing him up. The games where they went to the spread offense and abandoned the run really hurt his stats.

Additionally, the more they take the ball out of Alex Smith's hand, the more successful they will be, the more scoring opportunities they will have, the better Gore will do.

(I couldn't resist turning this into an anti A. Smith thread so I get Vince worked up)

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 am

Orca wrote:I think Gore can still improve on his numbers if the Niners commit to the run more next year, even if he is getting spelled by Coffee who whoever else is backing him up. The games where they went to the spread offense and abandoned the run really hurt his stats.

Additionally, the more they take the ball out of Alex Smith's hand, the more successful they will be, the more scoring opportunities they will have, the better Gore will do.

(I couldn't resist turning this into an anti A. Smith thread so I get Vince worked up)
I dont get worked up :wink: I just bring the facts.