RG3

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
rock-hammerson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

RG3

Postby rock-hammerson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:04 pm

He's set to be released by Washington in the offseason. Where do we think he'll end up? Me and a buddy were just discussing him possibly going to STL. That would be a pretty hilarious situation. Who still thinks he can play at a high level?
10 team ppr 32 man rosters when season starts. 1QB- 2RB- 3WR- 1TE- 2Flex and k/def
QB- Luck, Winston, Glennon
RB- Gurley, Lynch, J. Howard, Gore, Rawls, Prosise, CJ Anderson, J. Williams(BUF), Lasco, DJ Foster, M. Brown, Perkins
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, Evans, Michael Thomas, Pryor, Gordon, Snead, Latimer, Mitchell, Spruce, Turner, K. Bell, Billingsly, Carter, Campanaro
TE- Gronkowski, Rudolph, M. Williams, Swoope, Gathers
K- Gostkowski
DST- Carolina

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: RG3

Postby Vendetta » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm

I think he can definitely still play and the team that I would look at is Houston. Bill O'Brien could definitely help turn his career around and he was able to guide a team "led" by Brian Hoyer to the playoffs. He's worked with Brady and was able to get the best out of Hackenberg. He seems like the type of coach who could take RG3's natural talent and help him hone it effectively. I don't think RG3 had a lot of support in Washington and that had to effect a persons self confidence a lot and make them doubt everything about whether they can play, if they're any good etc. A change of scenery could breathe new life into his career and I think that would be the best place for him to go.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 pm

With the ever high demand for starting QBs in the NFL, I think it's a foregone conclusion that RG3 gets a chance to start somewhere in 2016. What he does with that opportunity is another story. I picked him up from the WW and stashed him in a few leagues just to see what happens. To me he's a complete dart throw, but we've seen that he at one time had top 5 QB upside. For free I'll roster him and see what comes of a new situation. Not a player I'm going out of my way to get though.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:39 pm

The best situation would be where an established QB is in place now (DAL, KC, PITT, etc.). He is probably signed as someone fighting for the backup job or as the developmental 3rd QB so he can learn from the starter. He could also go to a HOU, BUF situation from this year where multiple previous backups are fighting for the startup spot. This depends a lot on what teams plans for the draft are. I think HOU is unlikely as it does not want to deal with another backup QB battle after this season. Bill most likely drafts his own QB.

chopping mall
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chopping mall » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:59 pm

I too picked him up just on the off chance he lands somewhere decent.

Having Bardy and Mariota I figure I have time to sit on him to see if he still has something to offer in a new situation. at his age and the fact that he got a full year's rest, I am betting he still does.
Team: Hounds of Justice - Year 5
12 Team - 35 Man roster .5 PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|2Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB|1Flex)
QB: D. Brees, D. Carr, A. Dalton
RB: S. Barkley, J. Mixon, C. Clement, F. Gore, J. Jackson, P. Perkins, G. Bernard
WR: K. Allen, A. Green, J. Edelman, B. Cooks, T. Quinn, J. Reynolds, M. Crabtree, J. Doctson
TE: D. Walker D. Waller, D. Goedert, J. Smith
DL: T. Flowers, J. Houston, C. Peters, E. Ansah
LB: D. Leonard, M. Jack, N. Vigil, J. Baker, P. Onwuasor, S. Hamilton
DB: J. Bates, K. Jackson,
taxi: R. Finley, D. Crockett, J. Ursua, D. Willis, J. Thornhill
2020 Picks: 3rd, 5th, 6th

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I'll be the guy on the outside saying, well would you look at that... LIB. And yes, there is a chance, but man, he really does have some growing up to do.
@PlankMelody

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:26 pm

St. Louis would be hilarious, but I'm not sure Fisher is the guy to get the best out of RGIII. Vince Young imploded under Fisher and it's also an unstable situation with the LA relocation and Fisher likely on a short rope by now.

KC makes a lot of sense given Reid's success in making pocket passers out of previously run first QBs.

I'm not sold on Houston. O'Brien seems to have the skill training down, but his inability to handle Mallett would make me worry that RGIII may flop there just as badly.

I see Dallas as an option, though not necessarily a good one.

Tennessee would be an interesting option if Kelly goes there. The problem with a lot of these running QBs is the lack of running QB backup which forces significant system changes in times of injury. Would be an interesting project to see two on one team. Buffalo might fit this bill as well, especially with them going all in to win this year.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

rock-hammerson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rock-hammerson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm

I don't think Bill couldn't handle mallet. I think he just saw a guy that didn't want to help himself so he cut him loose. Mallet may have realized in that, that he doesn't have many opportunities left so he ended up playing well. We'll see if he keeps that up. As for rg3 would Cleveland take a stab? I'm sure they'll draft a qb but he'd be a good stop gap.
10 team ppr 32 man rosters when season starts. 1QB- 2RB- 3WR- 1TE- 2Flex and k/def
QB- Luck, Winston, Glennon
RB- Gurley, Lynch, J. Howard, Gore, Rawls, Prosise, CJ Anderson, J. Williams(BUF), Lasco, DJ Foster, M. Brown, Perkins
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, Evans, Michael Thomas, Pryor, Gordon, Snead, Latimer, Mitchell, Spruce, Turner, K. Bell, Billingsly, Carter, Campanaro
TE- Gronkowski, Rudolph, M. Williams, Swoope, Gathers
K- Gostkowski
DST- Carolina

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Never been a fan. He's too reliant on his legs, which can only go so far in the NFL

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 pm

He will either go somewhere as a starter and choke or go somewhere to be a backup, who will choke if the starter gets hurt.

I honestly think it would be smarter for a team to sign him as a backup rather than a starter, but his ego probably couldn't handle it.

He will get signed but he's just not good enough to be relevant.

Josey Wales
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Josey Wales » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:27 am

He will get another shot!

He has great physical tools.

Until he learns to better read a defense pre-snap...he will struggle.

Until he learns to read a defense post-snap...he will fail.

Great physical tools will only get you by for a short time at the NFL level.

I'm not saying he's stupid! But you need to be able to read a defense post snap...process that info quickly...make the correct decision....then execute.
Some of that can be taught. But a "light has to come on" to totally get it. Kinda like geometry way back when. I knew a lot of people that excelled at math in general, but failed horribly at geometry. After being taught...you either get it or you don't. So far...he just doesn't "get it".

IWWROCKS
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby IWWROCKS » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:08 am

My view on RG3 is that he's likely to go somewhere he'll either be the starter, or in a competition to be the starter. I think he has enough of a reputation for that. The issue is, can his body take it, and will he have the pieces that mean they aren't solely reliant on him. He needs to be in a system which doesn't make him run, and he needs himself to train himself to not take off at first sight. I think whether he has value, purely depends on where he ends up. If you look at QB needy teams, I'd say San Fran, Houston, St Louis, Cleveland are the 4 main teams who need something (perhaps the Jets if Fitzpatrick isn't re-signed)

San Francisco - Bad offensive line. RGIII needs to avoid getting hit. Without serious improvement to the o-line, I don't think RGIII even stays healthy for the season. They have Carlos Hyde who will take some pressure off RGIII, but a lack of talent at wide receiver suggests to me he'll struggle to put up good numbers. If he goes here, I'm avoiding as I don't think he'll last long (injured, or benched to be replaced at the end of the season)

Houston - This wouldn't be a bad spot. Average o-line, if they got RGIII, I'd want an improvement to this in FA/Draft but it's not a terrible base point. Decent weapons (by that, I mean DeAndre Hopkins can catch no matter who is throwing to him), however the run game is in trouble if Arian Foster continues getting injured. The defence should be able to keep them in games, meaning a more balanced attack (should Foster stay healthy)...Houston would be worth a pick up I think. If he gets it right first season, and it seems set up for him do so, then it could be a good relationship. Foster's contract is up in 2017 I believe? So it's a contract year for him, a lot of the long term potential for RGIII in Houston really depends on what they do with the run game. Like I said, I don't want RGIII to be burdened where he feels he has to put his body on the line.

St Louis - This for me is the best spot he could end up in. A great offensive line. He'll be well protected, and given more pocket time. If he feels comfortable in the pocket, he stays in the pocket and has time to find his weapons. Speaking of, it's not the best receiving core but Tavon Austin as a starting piece isn't bad. If they were to go out and get another receiver in FA/Draft, it'd be perfect. Austin also adds more flexibility with the run game that takes some pressure away from RGIII. Speaking of the run game, you have a generational back in Gurley and a good enough backup with Mason. A good defence added to this, creates a perfect situation for RGIII to succeed. I'm definitely picking him up in this spot. A young team, growing together, and if RGIII can't make it work, he only has himself to blame here.

Cleveland - No thank you. Too much work needs doing in Cleveland, and RGIII wouldn't have the time to see it out. Short term, he'll get Josh Gordon who is a question mark with a year off. That's about it. A bad defence, a bad offensive line, and there's no way Cleveland give him time with how they like to switch QB's, so there's not much long term future here either. I've no interest in picking him up here.

The other option that has been mooted is the Cowboys. It's an interesting one, as Romo seems to have years left in him. He's picked up some injuries, but I don't think I'd consider him injury prone. I'd say in this situation, taking into account I think Jerry Jones would be quite patient with RGIII if he was starting, and would give him time, I'd say it's worth a speculative stash in pretty deep/2 QB leagues.
#1 - 12 Team, Standrd NFL.com scoring, 20 man squad (+1IR), 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex (WR/RB)

QB - Brees, Prescott, Garoppolo
RB - Jordan Howard, Hyde, Blount, Damian Williams,
WR - Michael Thomas, Adams, Cooper, Crowder, Britt, Rishard Matthews, Tyreek Hill, Travis Benjamin, Kerley
TE - Witten, Davis, Miller
K - Cairo Santos
DEF - Baltimore

2017 Picks - 7th, 42nd, 50th, 53rd
2018 Picks - 1st Round, 5th Round, 6th Round, 7th Round
2019 Picks - 1st round, 3rd Round, 4th Round, 5th Round

#2 - 12 Team, .5 PPR, 22 man squad (+2IR), 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex (WR/RB/TE)

QB - Mariota, Palmer
RB - Stewart, CJ Anderson, Chris Thompson, Derrick Henry, Doug Martin, Dion Lewis
WR - OBJ, Edelman, Demaryius Thomas, Lafell, DeSean Jackson, Taylor Gabriel, Travis Benjamin
TE - Kelce, Gates, Doyle
K - Stephen Hauschka
DEF - Broncos

2017 Picks - 15th, 35th, 45th, 52nd
2018 Picks - 1st Round, 1st Round, 3rd Round, 4th Round
2019 Picks - 2nd round, 3rd Round, 4th Round, 5th Round

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:22 am

KC or Dallas I am guessing
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 am

Josey Wales wrote:He will get another shot!

He has great physical tools.

Until he learns to better read a defense pre-snap...he will struggle.

Until he learns to read a defense post-snap...he will fail.

Great physical tools will only get you by for a short time at the NFL level.

I'm not saying he's stupid! But you need to be able to read a defense post snap...process that info quickly...make the correct decision....then execute.
Some of that can be taught. But a "light has to come on" to totally get it. Kinda like geometry way back when. I knew a lot of people that excelled at math in general, but failed horribly at geometry. After being taught...you either get it or you don't. So far...he just doesn't "get it".
These are my thoughts too. Thing is, it's perfectly possible that he CAN learn to fix the deficiencies in his game. In Washington, a combination of injuries, inept management, appalling training staff decisions and coaching staffs that were either reckless or hostile served to undermine his development. He's a smart guy. Put him with a coach who's looking to build him up rather than tear him down, and given the lack of talent at the position I could see him being fantasy relevant again in 2016.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am

Dookmariot wrote:In Washington, a combination of injuries, inept management, appalling training staff decisions and coaching staffs that were either reckless or hostile served to undermine his development.
With all due respect, this is part hogwash and part BS. The only reason he had as long a leash as he had was because of an inept owner. The tape doesn't lie. Shanahan saw it. Gruden saw it. Chris Cooley went into great depths about it as well. He couldn't do elementary (from an NFL standpoint) things.

Dallas will at least bring him in. He could sell a boatload of jerseys for Jerruh.