Josh Gordon

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby onetwothree » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm

The dude isn't a licensed agent. I believe he's only a "business manager". Semantics but I don't think any credible agent is dealing with Gordon anytime soon. I'm sure the guy has financial incentive for Gordon to stay clean though and he's living in his house so that's something.

The SI article did make me skeptical but the tone of the article was also very different than the other interviews he's done. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle between this somewhat negative article and the glowing reports we see.

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

dm1129 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 pm
perkinsrooster wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am Are addictions really ever beaten? I'm not convinced he's dealt with them at all, especially after what I've read in SI.
I had not read the SI article, thanks for the heads-up! After reading the article, I have to say I am more skeptical now. Several things stood out to me in the article:

1) Gordon's agent is currently on probation as part of a plea for a recruiting scandal.
2) Gordon lied to the author of the article, initially.
3) Gordon spent the summer working out with sprinter Tim Montgomery who was convicted in recent years of check fraud and dealing heroin.
4) Gordon has been clean since only July.

I do believe Gordon is serious about turning his life around, unfortunately the people he has chosen to help in this process don't meet the standard for me. Gordon states in the article that he has relapsed multiple times during this past suspension due to different events in his life that caused adversity, yet he has chosen an agent who is on probation and allows him to work out with a guy who has been found guilty of dealing heroin. This 'support system' just isn't good enough. What happens if Gordon has a bad day, week, etc....? I assumed Gordon had been clean for longer than six months when he was reinstated. Another mistake and he is likely done for life. I love watching him play and I hope it works out for him. As a fantasy owner, I would not be in the market to acquire him at any price that current owners would likely accept.

For those who have not read the article:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/28/josh- ... browns-nfl
My thoughts as well.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

For what it's worth the article never states that by relapse they mean Gordon got high. It says that "In Gainesville he admitted that he had relapsed as recently as July, sneaking away at night to wander the streets in search of weed." Never said he found or smoked it, just that he looked for it. That is certainly within the realm of relapse. Reverting back to addict b behavior. He then goes on the say that it is during one of these experiences that he had his epiphany regarding working as hard for "something good.

From my perspective, the author of the article was skeptical at best and that translated pretty clearly throughout. That's fair considering Gordon's history, but to be honest the the company he keeps and his naivety regarding the people "helping" him are more telling of his stunted maturity and life experiences than they are his dedication to getting clean and changing his life. I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm For what it's worth the article never states that by relapse they mean Gordon got high. It says that "In Gainesville he admitted that he had relapsed as recently as July, sneaking away at night to wander the streets in search of weed." Never said he found or smoked it, just that he looked for it. That is certainly within the realm of relapse. Reverting back to addict b behavior. He then goes on the say that it is during one of these experiences that he had his epiphany regarding working as hard for "something good.

From my perspective, the author of the article was skeptical at best and that translated pretty clearly throughout. That's fair considering Gordon's history, but to be honest the the company he keeps and his naivety regarding the people "helping" him are more telling of his stunted maturity and life experiences than they are his dedication to getting clean and changing his life. I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe one day that will be true—but we’re not there yet. Gordon is not yet saved. He has been this far before. In July 2016 he was reinstated from the indefinite suspension he received 17 months earlier. He says he made it through that summer’s training camp and preseason sober, then learned there was a warrant out for his arrest in Cleveland tied to a paternity case involving his then one-year-old daughter, Emma, and he started drinking again. (In court, after a DNA test, Gordon admitted to being Emma’s father.) One week before his planned return he left the team, checked himself into rehab and saw his reinstatement rescinded. Even after that, he says, he was able to stay sober for six months. Then, this past May, the NFL rejected another reinstatement bid and he started “reaching back to [his] familiar devices. Marijuana. Alcohol.”

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, I want him to succeed and stay clean. Even if it is understandable regarding the people who he has chosen to 'help' him, this is not a 'rehersal' for him at this point. Rehersal was several years ago. If he makes another mistake, he very well good be done, period. That is the problem.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm For what it's worth the article never states that by relapse they mean Gordon got high. It says that "In Gainesville he admitted that he had relapsed as recently as July, sneaking away at night to wander the streets in search of weed." Never said he found or smoked it, just that he looked for it. That is certainly within the realm of relapse. Reverting back to addict b behavior. He then goes on the say that it is during one of these experiences that he had his epiphany regarding working as hard for "something good.

With ultimate respect to the highly sensitive topic that is addiction and recovery - reverting to addict behavior is not considered relapsing. Relapsing is "acting out" (using). For drug addicts, that's using drugs. For alcoholics, that's taking a drink. I don't know any alcoholics who consider entering a liquor store to be relapsing. Highly unwise, grounds for consequences? Absolutely. But that in and of itself doesn't cause a break in sobriety.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Ahh. Yes, thank you for the clarification dm1129. And lukky13 that's more than reasonable, although "seeking" alcohol /drugs is addictive behavior and a sign of an impending relapse, and very different from simply walking into a liquor store. But, I digress. You are absolutely right in your point and I think perhaps I'm looking for ways to discredit the author as to me it feels like he's got his mind made up and is betraying his opinions with his tone rather than writing an objective piece. My bad.

So according to Gordon's timeline, it is inferred he used in May and as recently last July. Fair enough. That certainly cast a bit of a shadow for anyone who doubts his intentions and commitment. I will say that as silly as it sounds to those who aren't experienced with addiction, but relapse is considered a very normal part of the process of learning to stay clean in the community of recovery. His recent use it doesn't change my view that his lack of maturity and the company he keeps aren't necessarily an accurate reflection of his resolve, and this article uses it against him. Another part of successful recovery is to change the company you keep and surround yourself with like minded people. As early as he is in the process, that may be something he will realize he needs to do to accomplish his goals.

I still chose to extend him the benefit of the doubt that this "epiphany" is enough to convince him to change his life. That and a little motivation is all it took for me. He's got millions of reasons to be motivated.
Last edited by GridironGuerilla on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:46 pm

GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm Ahh. Yes, thank you for the clarification dm1129. And lukky13, that's more than reasonable. I think perhaps I'm looking for reasons to discredit the author as to me it feels like he's got his mind made up and is betraying his opinions with his tone rather than writing an objective piece. My bad.

So according to Gordon's timeline, it is inferred he used in May and as recently last July. Fair enough. That certainly cast a bit of a shadow for anyone who doubts his intentions and commitment. I will say that as silly as it sounds to those who aren't experienced with addiction, but relapse is considered a very normal part of the process of learning to stay clean in the community of recovery. His recent use it doesn't change my view that his lack of maturity and the company he keeps aren't necessarily an accurate reflection of his resolve, and this article uses it against him. Another part of successful recovery is to change the company you keep and surround yourself with like minded people. As early as he is in the process, that may be something he will realize he needs to do to accomplish his goals.

I still chose to extend him the benefit of the doubt that this "epiphany" is enough to convince him to change his life. That and a little motivation is all it took for me. He's got millions of reasons to be motivated.
I honestly do believe Gordon is serious about staying clean. My fear is his 'support group' doesn't meet the standard for me to feel comfortable. I believe the conditions of his reinstatement are no alcohol in addition to no 'drugs'. I am not 100% positive on that. My fear is Gordon has a bad day for whatever reason and one drink of alcohol could be the difference in his future. That is why as a fantasy owner, I am not willing to pay what most current owners would sell for.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm

So if you're the Browns GM, do you do anything to help Gordon through the offseason? Hire him a sobriety coach? Or keep him busy on Dancing With The Stars? Get him a minor league baseball contract? You have to know that free time is a disaster waiting to happen.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Tsunami wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm So if you're the Browns GM, do you do anything to help Gordon through the offseason? Hire him a sobriety coach? Or keep him busy on Dancing With The Stars? Get him a minor league baseball contract? You have to know that free time is a disaster waiting to happen.
If he's truly serious about staying sober, he should have an extremely intimate relationship with his AA mentor, and there should be a tight triangle network between Gordon, his mentor, and the Browns organization.

All his movements should be accounted for. Every event he attends needs to be approved by his mentor, any vacations carefully planned for, and who he socializes with needs to be scrutinized. If he does all of those things, he will stay sober. Most people aren't willing to subject their lives to such accountability but that's what it takes to beat addiction.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Tsunami wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 pm Guess who's back. The original Josh Gordon thread!!! Go back and read how wrong you were.
:clap:
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Valhalla wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 pm If all the Josh Gordon threads were to be merged (as they should), I think it would be well over 100 pages of arguing devoted to one player.
:lol: :mrgreen: :whistle:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:49 pm

ericanadian wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 pm
Bot101 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm Better to discuss Gordon than Nathan Peterman. I cringe when I see that thread bumped.
We could bring back the ridiculously long Ryan Mallett thread if you'd prefer that.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Tsunami wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm Get him a minor league baseball contract?
:lol: The key to staying sober

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 pm
Tsunami wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:25 pm So if you're the Browns GM, do you do anything to help Gordon through the offseason? Hire him a sobriety coach? Or keep him busy on Dancing With The Stars? Get him a minor league baseball contract? You have to know that free time is a disaster waiting to happen.
If he's truly serious about staying sober, he should have an extremely intimate relationship with his AA mentor, and there should be a tight triangle network between Gordon, his mentor, and the Browns organization.

All his movements should be accounted for. Every event he attends needs to be approved by his mentor, any vacations carefully planned for, and who he socializes with needs to be scrutinized. If he does all of those things, he will stay sober. Most people aren't willing to subject their lives to such accountability but that's what it takes to beat addiction.
There's no scientific evidence that AA works.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 am

Tsunami wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:32 pm

There's no scientific evidence that AA works.
There's no scientific evidence that AA doesn't works.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh