Josh Gordon

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby Thedude30 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Man, was looking over this thread again, and as tantalizing Josh Gordon's skill set still is, I will never take the risk again. Was burned a few times, and in most leagues got what I could at the time, and I don't regret it. I really do hope he can find what works for him in regards of sobriety, and if you've held him this long, cheers to you!

Maybe Cleveland can find a QB worth something, and Josh Gordon can really show what he's worth.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 am

Yep. I don’t disagree. For the right team I think he’s worth trading for though. I would say he’s a coin flip on whether he stays on the field.

However, let me ask this. What are the chances a late first round pick rookie WR develops into a top 10 dynasty WR?

I would argue that the potential floor is much higher with the rookie pick. But the potential ceiling isn’t even close. That goes to Josh Gordon. In fact, I’d take Josh Gordon over every WR in this class based on upside. We’ve seen plenty of WR’s drafted high never work out.

So, it all just comes down to how risk averse you are as an owner. There is nothing wrong with taking the Gordon risk, just as there’s nothing wrong with going with the rookie and taking the risks associated with that.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 am

kris_kapsner wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 am Yep. I don’t disagree. For the right team I think he’s worth trading for though. I would say he’s a coin flip on whether he stays on the field.

However, let me ask this. What are the chances a late first round pick rookie WR develops into a top 10 dynasty WR?

I would argue that the potential floor is much higher with the rookie pick. But the potential ceiling isn’t even close. That goes to Josh Gordon. In fact, I’d take Josh Gordon over every WR in this class based on upside. We’ve seen plenty of WR’s drafted high never work out.

So, it all just comes down to how risk averse you are as an owner. There is nothing wrong with taking the Gordon risk, just as there’s nothing wrong with going with the rookie and taking the risks associated with that.
I agree with this. It also depends on how much your current team can AFFORD the risk. If you have plenty of WR depth, there's not much harm in taking on the upside bet of Gordon. If he shows up, he boosts your starting lineup potential. If he doesn't show up, you aren't left in bad shape (provided you do have that depth).

If Sammy Watkins is my #3 WR...I'd HAPPILY take on Gordon. Start Gordon (who usually gets a much heavier target share) when he's available and enjoy a higher output potential. If he's unavailable, Watkins isn't painful to put in your lineup.
If Mike Wallace is my #3...well then I'd probably try to trade Gordon for a more dependable (albeit probably lower upside) WR.

kamihamster
Captain
Captain

Postby kamihamster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 am

This thread revival scared me thinking Gordon screwed up again. Glad to see there's no new news. Go Josh!
NTL (est 2016): (8-0)
12-team, PPR, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1FLX
QB: A.Rodgers, D.Jones
RB: A.Kamara, K.Johnson, K.Drake, Da.Henderson, C.Anderson, K.Ballage, T.Montgomery, J.Wilson, D.Ogunbowale, Dw.Washington, J.Kelly, P.Perkins, A.Blue
WR: O.Beckham, D.Hopkins, C.Kupp, D.Chark, R.Foster, A.Wilson, J.Reynolds, S.Morgan, B.Pringle, O.Johnson, D.Williams, D.Willis
TE: J.Cook, M.Andrews, A.Shaheen, B.Jarwin
2020 Picks: 3, 4
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4
2022 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

Home League (est 2014): 2018 Champ (6-2)
12-team, NPPR-6ptTD, 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,2FLX,1K,1DST,4IDP
QB: P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, M.Breida, S.Michel, F.Gore, D.Guice, K.Ballage, D.Ogunbowale, R.Bonnafon, J.Scarlett, W.Gallman, J.Kelly, J.Wilson
WR: D.Adams, J.Smith-Schuster, T.Boyd, A.Robinson, L.Fitzgerald, Jo.Brown, M.Valdes-Scantiling, K.Harmon, Z.Pascal
TE: E.Engram, A.Hooper
DST: NOS
K: W.Lutz
2020 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

Gordon may screw up this offseason, in two yrs, or never.

But how many WRs really have the potential for a top 5 WR season. Gordon will have that potential every year he plays. If you can get that kind of potential back via trade for Gordon then I'm all for it. But if not, getting rid of Gordon isn't worth it - even with the risk factor. How many players just sit on your bench, and we hope for them to have even one or two big seasons that never come.

I'd much rather take the risk and keep him on my squad. If you think about it, the risk isn't really all that much more compared the typical bench fodder that no one ever starts anyways. At least this way I know he won't be beating me in the playoffs next yr.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I think if you own Gordon you sit on him, it isn't worth trading him. If you don't own Gordon you stay away from him, it isn't worth trading for him. The value if he can keep his head on straight an produce is far more than anything you can get for him and vice versa. Probably one of the few players who is really just a hold.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

dm1129 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 pm I'm not paying any 1st for Gordon with his track record. I wish him all the best, but I won't be paying what owners want for him.
This is exactly how I feel. I think too many owners are forgetting Gordon is in the substance abuse problem not just for weed, but also alcohol. He is literally one drink away from possibly never playing again. I hope he succeeds, but the risk is too high for me to be a buyer.
I can't argue with your opinion but no one is "forgetting" Gordon has a substance abuse problem. You are making the mistake of thinking people must be missing a key fact because they don't agree with your opinion. Other then that you are right, he is a huge risk and could slip up any day

TampaBay216
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TampaBay216 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Recently traded for what ended up being the 1.12 and OJ Howard. As a former Browns fan, having lived my entire life in Cleveland, I don’t regret it.
Team 1
12 team IDP PPR Single QB

QB: J. Burrow, J. Love
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, J. Williams
WR: C. Lamb, J. Jefferson, M. Evans, C. Godwin, A.J. Brown
TE: S. LaPorta D. Geodert, T. Kelce
DL: D. Hunter, C. Granderson, B. Chubb
LB: P. Queen, R. Smith, CJ Mosley
CB: J. Thompson, CJGJ, P. Adebo

Team 2
14 Team TEP SF PPR IDP

QB: P. Mahomes, A. Richardson , B. Young
RB: B. Robinson, J. Gibbs
WR: T. Higgins, M. Brown, D. London, D. Wicks, Q. Johnston
TE: D. Njoku, I. Likely

Picks: 24’ - 1.10 - 2.09 - 2.14 - 3.09 - 3.13

Team 3
12 team IDP SF PPR TEP

QB: L. Jackson, J. Hurts, B. Young, Rodgers
RB: B. Hall, J. Gibbs, I. Pacheco, A. Kamara
WR: P. Nacua, Deebo, JSN, Sutton, M. Brown
TE: T. Hockenson, J. Ferguson
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, R. Spillane, B. Wagner, D. Greenlaw
DB: J. Brisker, B. Baker, K. Moore
DL: D. Hunter, M. Garrett, K. Paye, Q. Williams

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 pm

TampaBay216 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm Recently traded for what ended up being the 1.12 and OJ Howard. As a former Browns fan, having lived my entire life in Cleveland, I don’t regret it.
I like it, im a big Howard fan

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:49 pm

AussieMate wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 pm I'm not paying any 1st for Gordon with his track record. I wish him all the best, but I won't be paying what owners want for him.
This is exactly how I feel. I think too many owners are forgetting Gordon is in the substance abuse problem not just for weed, but also alcohol. He is literally one drink away from possibly never playing again. I hope he succeeds, but the risk is too high for me to be a buyer.
I can't argue with your opinion but no one is "forgetting" Gordon has a substance abuse problem. You are making the mistake of thinking people must be missing a key fact because they don't agree with your opinion. Other then that you are right, he is a huge risk and could slip up any day
You simply cannot say no one is forgetting. I have rarely seen any poster mention that all it may take is one drink with alcohol for Gordon to be possibly gone for good. All the attention is on drugs/weed.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm

dm1129 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:49 pm
AussieMate wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

You simply cannot say no one is forgetting. I have rarely seen any poster mention that all it may take is one drink with alcohol for Gordon to be possibly gone for good. All the attention is on drugs/weed.
Because it doesn't need mentioning. You would have to be brand new to both NFL and fantasy to not know Gordon has a problem. If you're posting on this board you would have read it and nauseam. It's fair to say some people are ignoring or down playing this fact, which I would agree people are, his last substance ban was for alch.

Actually now that you say it who knows, there probably are people who don't do any readings about players they post about. Alot of made up stats and assumptions got thrown around without research. I retract my statement 👍

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm
Actually now that you say it who knows, there probably are people who don't do any readings about players they post about. Alot of made up stats and assumptions got thrown around without research. I retract my statement 👍
If you extrapolate the expected earned yardage output that Gordon would have had given Keenan Allen's target share and Antonio's situation, he out-produces the average net yardage of the top 24 WRs by 3.76 ypr, equating to roughly 1.375x the expected yardage output of your typical mid-high end WR1 in a down year.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Valhalla wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 pm
If you extrapolate the expected earned yardage output that Gordon would have had given Keenan Allen's target share and Antonio's situation, he out-produces the average net yardage of the top 24 WRs by 3.76 ypr, equating to roughly 1.375x the expected yardage output of your typical mid-high end WR1 in a down year.
Lol this ^

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:26 pm

He's back!

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:58 pm

AussieMate wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:34 pm
Valhalla wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Lol this ^
:lol:
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06