Newish rule in my league has me fuming

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Newish rule in my league has me fuming

Postby basilthesnake » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:32 pm

As with anything there are 2 sides to every story. I can only tell mine. I don't know why the rule came into being. I do believe this league wants to maintain more of a home like feel, but if that is the case they should have invited an uncle to join not a stranger. Ultimately I will forward this thread to the commissioner. I don't know that it will do anything in terms of removing the rule. $50 is just ridiculous and is causing me to have hard feelings. This is supposed to be fun.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 pm

basilthesnake wrote:@bonscott that sounds reasonable if you are only in one or two leagues and they are your closer friends. It also sounds like in your case a replacement owner would be made aware of how important it is to attend a draft in person. There was a time in my life when "the draft" was a must attend. I think most of us were using magazines then. Technology doesn't require people to be there in person. It is local or at least within an hour drive. Would I like to attend the draft? Yes but I can't guarantee it. If this rule was in place prior to joining I would agree with what you wrote, but the rule went into effect a year after I joined. Another point you make is that your draft date is set. This one was voted on prior to the draft. Majority vote determined the draft date and time
Understood.

Our draft date is the same weekend every single year and has been for 20 years and will continue to be. It's no secret. My league drafts on Saturday and a buddies league drafts on Sunday. Everyone makes a whole weekend out of it with a pre-draft party on Friday and on thru the weekend. And yes, most of us are old farts. LOL For many of us it's the only time of year we see each other and it's a time to "get the gang" back together. We also hold the draft late morning into the afternoon so the evening is free so things like a Bachelor party probably wouldn't have been an issue. That could be a suggestion to your league, pick a weekend to hold it every year so everyone can plan on it and hold the draft in the afternoon to avoid potential conflicts.

As for a replacement owner, yea they are aware I guess, there is no online draft for either one so not really a choice. You show up to the draft or work out with the commish a proxy to draft for you or do it over the phone or something or you're replaced, pretty simple. :thumbup:

As for your two examples of what happened to you, I as commish wouldn't have a problem with you drafting via phone/skype or whatever if those things came up. Life happens. But I think getting the draft set to the same day/weekend each year can help since you'll know a year ahead of time what weekend it is and can tell people in your life you are unavailable that day. :mrgreen:

kiddragonsoft
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kiddragonsoft » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:03 pm

meh, it's 1 in 3 years you have to make it. just win the thing in those 3 years and you can have the option to quit the league. really tho, if you can't make it 1 time in 3 years, you prob shouldn't play in that league. and like you said, it's an expensive league. if it's that way, you prob should make an effort to make the live draft and get to know some of the other owners. it will help with trading and such. also people like to wheel and deal during draft and you miss out on all that by not being there.
QB: C Wentz, D Lock, M Stafford (IR)
RB: N Chubb, D Henry, M Mack, M Boone
WR: Julio, A Cooper, AJ Brown, T Lockett, N Harry, TY Hilton
TE: J Cook, T Higbee, N Fant
K: Y Koo, R Bullock
D: Chiefs, Steelers

12 Teams Dynasty League, 19 Players Roster, Standard Scoring/Pass TD 3pts
Roster Restriction: Must carry at least 2 at each position, including defense.
Start 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D

basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby basilthesnake » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

kiddragonsoft wrote:meh, it's 1 in 3 years you have to make it. just win the thing in those 3 years and you can have the option to quit the league. really tho, if you can't make it 1 time in 3 years, you prob shouldn't play in that league. and like you said, it's an expensive league. if it's that way, you prob should make an effort to make the live draft and get to know some of the other owners. it will help with trading and such. also people like to wheel and deal during draft and you miss out on all that by not being there.
It's been my intention to attend every draft so far. I'm not trying to miss the draft. Sometimes life gets in the way. 1 in 3 sounds reasonable, but I've been in the league for 3 years and missed it each time. I'll likely be the first and only owner affected by this, which is why I'm pissed. If I'm putting $50 in play it's for transactions, not fines

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Would you still be bitter if the rule required you to drop off a case of beer in your stead? To me, I would be pissed about the $50, because it's hollow and adds nothing for the league as a whole. A case of beer would be lower value, but would seem more in tune with trying to build community.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:12 pm

How far away from the draft do you live?

I would propose that if someone lives more than 50 miles away from the draft then Skype should be an acceptable alternative.

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:17 pm

That's a BS rule and a d**k move on the part of the other owners. That's the league and like it or not, a league is the sum of it's owners - and that league looks suspect to me.
If I had no intention of drafting in person I would walk away. If you're sticking it out I'd make sure that since it is a new rule the clock starts now, not retroactively.

basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby basilthesnake » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:20 pm

[quote="ericanadian"]Would you still be bitter if the rule required you to drop off a case of beer in your stead? To me, I would be pissed about the $50, because it's hollow and adds nothing for the league as a whole. A case of beer would be lower value, but would seem more in tune with trying to build community.[/quote
Not at all, I actually like that idea

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Idea of $50 for not attending is horrible. $10, sure. I agree with the carrot to reward those who attend if that is a key event, but grown ups should realize it isn't always possible and make accommodations. If you aren't active that's different, but if your active and timely, then I don't get it.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:53 am

If everyone but you wants to attend the draft live why would you be surprised by this league? Make an effort to get there or find a new league. I don't get the uproar, seems a bit dramatic.

basilthesnake
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby basilthesnake » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:29 pm

voiceofunreason wrote:If everyone but you wants to attend the draft live why would you be surprised by this league? Make an effort to get there or find a new league. I don't get the uproar, seems a bit dramatic.
I'm guessing you didn't read through the thread. I DO want to attend the draft, but in the three years I've been in the league something has interfered with my ability to do so. Hasn't stopped me from being active and engaged in draft. Fundamentally I have a problem with the rule. Reward owners who attend. If you are going to penalize make it a case of beer or $10. $50 is unreasonable. At this point for me to walk away from this league, I walk away from about a $500 investment. I don't hate the league, I just hate this one rule that didn't exist when I joined. It's unreasonable.