HOF league discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: HOF league discussion

Postby ArrylT » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Like I mentioned above - I feel this is a fair trade for both involved, although some might call it lite, or expensive depending on their perspective. On first glance many would probably favor Seventy5 since he got a guy with a proven WR1 history, and potential top 5 WR season again for basically a 2nd half of the 1st 1st and probably another next year, if his goal to go deep into the playoffs is realized.

Jules probably could have waited longer for a better market to develop, but I am guessing part of his goal in what looks to be a re-tool or re-build is to get 2018 picks to hasten the process (and I totally understand that) and the 1.09 could be a spot where a WR with at least WR2 potential awaits him.

I'd say Jules' roster, with a little luck, and with Green off his roster, is now headed for a bottom 4 finish in 2019, and that might be what he was hoping for - to suffer in 2018 for a brighter future. I tend to agree with the adage that a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush - so while, like I said, a better offer could have been had later - this is a deal that (assuming Jules is going into a rebuild) you dont refuse just because of future perhaps. We all know how cheap the DLF community can be when buying older players ...
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:10 pm

I've been waiting for an excuse to cut Jay Cutler (since he has had 0 interest from any owner) - and I feel the retirement rumours justify my decision to release him. :)

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:11 am

Farewell, Smokin' Jay. One of my fantasy favourites. Your DGAF antics will be missed.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm

nation31 outbid me on RGIII - well played sir!

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am

he only spent $2...

did you bid $0 or $1?

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

dlf_jaronf wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am he only spent $2...

did you bid $0 or $1?

if it was $0 or $1 then as a percentage he was significantly outbid.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:45 am

this is true. $2 is infinite times more than $0

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 am

I wish there were more 16-team leagues...big fan of that size, makes for interesting team building

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:14 pm

I bid $1. :oops:

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am

ha...RG3 was a popular guy. Pretty funny...Manziel is next?
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 am

maxhyde wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am ha...RG3 was a popular guy. Pretty funny...Manziel is next?
Manziel has already been picked up! Welcome to the 2018 league year!

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 am

I love extended benches. Throw some stuff at the wall and hope it sticks.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:27 am

Yeah I grabbed Manziel off of waivers over a month ago. My reasoning was 2 fold

(a) I have absolutely nothing at QB atm (Gabbert & Peterman are my other 2 QBs) and in this 16 team league with these owners I have no doubt that I wont get a useful QB from any of them without paying an arm and a leg. ;)

(b) As soon as I heard he was going to play in the spring league I knew he was pretty serious about a comeback and as long as he didnt do anything stupid either at a pro day or in the Spring league it seemed like a 50/50 proposition to me that a team that misses out on a QB in this draft is going to realize that hey maybe Manziel can be a more pro-ready QB I can develop for 1-2 years at a much cheaper cost.

Plus like I told an owner in another league - I can respect mental health and Manziel being open about his battles makes me hope he can make it back.

So for the cost of $1 it seemed like an easy risk to take - especially since my current roster is at 17 players now - been slowly discarding the unwanted.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:11 pm

I do not know if either of these 'cliches' apply in this situation but 'ask and ye shall receive' or 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' both come to mind with this trade that just occurred with my team (further analysis in next post).

Give:

Golden Tate

Get:

M. Trubisky
C. Michael
3.02 (#36)

I mention this because obviously it was only a couple of days ago that I posted the above where I spoke about my lack of anything at QB, so I can only assume that the other owner (ericanadian) happened to notice that. But if he didnt then it is just a fortuitous coincidence. :)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Anyways on to the reasoning (and some backstory & context) behind the trade:

Like noted above, prior to this trade my situation at QB was

Gabbert
Manziel
Peterman

which some might generously call upside, but most would likely call 'drek'.

For some, the QB position is one of the last positions that should be addressed when building, or re-building, a roster. Sometimes I agree with that, but in this league - being a 16 team league comprised of DLF veterans - avoiding the QB position seemed foolish for a couple of reasons.

(a) there was no guarantee any of them would let a QB fall to me in the 2nd round - my 2nd pick being 2.07 aka #24 - or at least a QB I wanted and was in a position to start right away lol - in a league where QB has a higher premium due to being 16 rosters.

(b) there was no guarantee that another owner would come with a similar offer down the road.

(c) not that I thought anyone in the league would suggest it - but filling my QB hole ensures that there is no 'whiff of impropriety come game time' - ie no crossing that line in the sand regarding what is and is not kosher in regards to rebuilding.

The actual trade, at least I think, was more expensive than I could have originally paid (more on that in a second), but less than I had actually feared/expected considering my roster situation.

Rather while Tate is obviously the more valuable piece now - and Trubisky is more likely than not to be just a low end QB1 / high end QB2 if I am lucky (in 16 team terms) - it does ensure that this position is filled for likely years to come - so long as the Bears treat Trubisky like Winston in TB or Wentz in Philly - aka their franchise QB. There is always something to be said about filling a position for 2-3 years or longer.

I'll worry about backup down the road - but with a little luck at least I have a franchise piece set to at least give me average production for years to come, and in a 16 team league thats not a small relief. Of course if he becomes more Kizer/Lynch than Winston/Mariota - well thats a worry for another day.

I mentioned I could have paid less than I did - well that is because this was a negotiated counter from the original offer. The player(s) asked included a player that I am quite high on - and held more value to me than he does in the dynasty marketplace. So while the monetary cost would have been cheaper - the 'emotional' cost would have been more. Now a lot of owners would say you cannot get attached to players - and I agree to an extent - there is always a time when to cut bait - but this player was a player I got as part of a package deal earlier in the off-season and I have been buying up (where possible) in other leagues - so I felt more comfortable exploring other options.

So I could have paid less - but sometimes when you buy something cheap you end up being less satisfied than you do if you buy something at the right cost.

As for Michael, I am fully aware he is likely 99% to be cast aside - but hey if the Colts are going to keep him around - I may as well just in case. The pick adds to my collection of 3rds as I try to draft "my guys" in what hopes to be a deep draft of potential contributors.

Anyways I am happy with the deal, and I hope my trade partner is too - and Tate gives him 2-3 more years of WR2 production - or is the gateway to another deal.