HOF league discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: HOF league discussion

Postby ArrylT » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Rookie production from draft picks so far (for those looking for immediate production from their selections)

Round I

1.01 - Seventy5 - S. Barkley RB - 90.30
1.02 - Dookmariot - D. Guice RB - 0.00
1.03 - maxhyde - R. Penny RB - 16.70
1.04 - Plank - N. Chubb RB - 26.60
1.05 - Dookmariot - R. Freeman RB - 41.40
1.06 - JFever - R. Jones RB - 3.80**
1.07 - steeveb - S. Michel RB - 46.20*
1.08 - steeveb - K. Johnson RB - 43.90
1.09 - Jules - D. Moore WR - 14.40**
1.10 - ArrylT - C. Kirk WR - 31.60
1.11 - Knotts4372 - C. Sutton WR - 22.20
1.12 - nation31 - C. Ridley WR - 78.70
1.13 - sloth8u - M. Gesicki TE - 10.10
1.14 - Jules - A. Miller WR - 20.00
1.15 - dlf_jaronf - M. Gallup WR - 12.60
1.16 - steeveb - B. Mayfield QB - 33.60
1.17 - JFever - K. Ballage RB - 0.30

Round II

2.01 - ArrylT - J. Washington WR - 15.90
2.02 - ericanadian - J. Rosen QB - 16.30
2.03 - nation31 - S. Darnold QB - 55.20
2.04 - Jules - L .Jackson QB - 7.40
2.05 - steeveb - D. Pettis WR - 18.60
2.06 - JFever - N. Hines RB - 73.30*
2.07 - ArrylT - D. Goedert TE - 25.00
2.08 - steeveb - DJ Chark WR - 3.90
2.09 - dlf_jaronf - Tre-Quan Smith WR - 2.80
2.10 - steeveb - A. Callaway WR - 32.20
2.11 - ericanadian - M. Andrews TE - 27.90
2.12 - ericanadian - J'Mon Moore WR - 0.00
2.13 - auggiedoggies - J. Wilkins RB - 29.90*
2.14 - maxhyde - J. Allen QB - 60.90
2.15 - ericanadian - J. Samuels RB - 0.00
2.16 - thebeast - H. Hurst TE - 0.00
2.17 - ericanadian - I. Thomas TE - 10.40

Round III

3.01 - dlf_jaronf - Daesean Hamilton WR - 0.00
3.02 - ArrylT - C. Edmonds RB - 16.90
3.03 - maxhyde - D. Cain WR - 0.00
3.04 - ArrylT - J. Jackson RB - 0.00
3.05 - Dookmariot - K. Coutee WR - 21.70
3.06 - dlf_jaronf - J. Akins TE - 14.40
3.07 - ArrylT - B. Scott RB - 0.00
3.08 - ArrylT - R. Nall RB - 0.00
3.09 - ArrylT - J. Lasley WR - 0.00
3.10 - steeveb - M. Rudolph QB - 0.00
3.11 - ArrylT - J. Adams RB - 3.00
3.12 - Jules - J. Kelly RB - 0.00
3.13 - Jules - I. Smith RB - 26.70
3.14 - ArrylT - C. Warren RB - 0.00
3.15 - dlf_jaronf - M. Walton RB - 5.70
3.16 - thebeast - E. St Brown WR - 0.00

* - 5 games

** - 3 games
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:52 pm

I think I would have won this week if it had not been Trubiskys bye week. :)

Crossing my fingers that I finally get my first Victory Point of the season!

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Looks like an upset for JFever..... or is it really an upset? hmmmm
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 am

DLF HOF Week V Results

JFever 109.25 auggiedoggies 94.90

If you are or were a dog owner, you'll know exactly what I mean when I say this is just like that time you were going to give a dog a treat but they got too greedy too quickly so you had to "slap" them down and withhold the treat as a teaching moment. Lets see if auggiedoggies passes obedience school next week ;)

maxhyde 101.45 Dookmariot 97.35

Hopefully you placed your bet on maxhyde in time - looks like he paid off quite well! Dookmariot bets ended up costing you. Josh Gordon fans will be tickled pick to see that Gordon helped maxhyde earn the win.

Plank 166.65 nation31 117.30

Well we know which owner knocked on wood before the game, and which one walked under a ladder ... Conner outgurleyed Gurley to help Plank rebound and get that winning Thielen.

thebeast 136.55 steeveb 122.45

It is a nice feeling to survive the first few weeks of a season and then have an additional weapon to deply. Ingram helped thebeast come from behind and steeveb was left feeling beathard.

Jules 81.95 sloth8u 64.85

The only team either of these teams would have beaten this week was ericanadian. So I am not sure if either team is feeling much better than the Eagles are. However Jules may have a potential gem in M-VS.

Seventy5 148.45 DLF_Jaronf 89.70

Sorry folks - the S5 bandwagon is now officially full - and owners will have to give ArrylT future picks in order to join the waiting list. They, like Mahomes, may be unstoppable this season!

knotts4372 90.10 ericanadian 48.60

While JFever may approve of the Jordan Matthews start, the fantasy gods did not and knotts4372 rode Antonio and Julio to a victory-o.

TitusYoungLawyer 119.90 ArrylT 94.60

This is what I call a win-win scenario. A rebuilding team gets a glimpse of hope with a victory point - 95 points with no QB is a nice positive - and the other team gets a key win to help them in the chase for enough victory points to make the playoffs.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 pm

There was a tweet I saw earlier today by Adam Harstad that went

"Everyone talks about how they want depth for their fantasy team.

Depth is overrated. Depth just means every time you lose you're beating yourself up for all the points you left on the bench.

I say just cut everyone on your bench and live life untroubled by regret."

Well one benefit of having no depth is you can get maximum efficiency. As in I literally had only 2.2 points on my bench and not a single player on my bench would have affected my score positively this week. So I got my first ever 100% efficiency rating. :lol: 8-)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Knotts4372 knows what I am talking about. ;)

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am

ArrylT wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 pm There was a tweet I saw earlier today by Adam Harstad that went

Depth is overrated. Depth just means every time you lose you're beating yourself up for all the points you left on the bench.

Well one benefit of having no depth is you can get maximum efficiency. As in I literally had only 2.2 points on my bench and not a single player on my bench would have affected my score positively this week. So I got my first ever 100% efficiency rating. :lol: 8-)
I know I'm not in the league, but I also saw this quote and he is so right. I have lost so many games this year because of starting the wrong players. I am sure I have won some because my opponent was deciding between two guys, but I don't know that. It drives me crazy when I lose because of a wrong start, but if my team sucks and I just can't win, who cares!

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 pm

grooner wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am
ArrylT wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 pm There was a tweet I saw earlier today by Adam Harstad that went

I know I'm not in the league, but I also saw this quote and he is so right. I have lost so many games this year because of starting the wrong players. I am sure I have won some because my opponent was deciding between two guys, but I don't know that. It drives me crazy when I lose because of a wrong start, but if my team sucks and I just can't win, who cares!
We love when people who aren't in the league comment on the thread. That was actually the original intent of the league. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 pm

I was felled by a strong Brees.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 pm

thebeast wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 pm
grooner wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am

We love when people who aren't in the league comment on the thread. That was actually the original intent of the league. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Exactly!
Dookmariot wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 pm I was felled by a strong Brees.
:clap: I got lucky for sure
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 pm

thebeast wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 pm
Wish I had known that before I joined the league - as I would have commented & asked more questions. :oops:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Third of the Season Trade Review(s) Part I

Now that a 3rd of the fantasy season has passed (5/6/5 = 16) - time to gaze back and see how my trades look

(1) Give up Maclin, Reed, Olsen
Get Shaheen, 2018 2nd, 2018 3rd, 2018 3rd

Maclin was released (by both owner and NFL Team) - value nil - no DLF ADP
Olsen was injured again, will need surgery at end of season, and another aggravation could end season/career - value declining rapidly (dropped 40 spots in 1 month) - ADP 146
Reed - currently scoring like a low end TE1 - value static - ADP 108 (almost identical to January)

Shaheen - injured unfortunately - but hopefully can be IR return candidate and simmer - value static but immaterial as he is a long term hold
2018 2nd - became 2.09 - used as part of package to acquire James Washington - value rising slightly - ADP 91
2018 3rd - became 3.09 - drafted Jordan Lasley - value TBD - Lasley made roster but stuck behind older vets like Brown, Crabtree - could connect with Lamar Jackson if/when Jackson takes over for Flacco
2018 3rd - became 3.11 - drafted Josh Adams - but cut to add Malcolm Brown (Mike Davis type in that he could do something if there was an opp)

Result - Win

Why - James Washington is on a team that values and develops WRs and could become part of a tandem with JuJu long-term. Maybe he booms maybe he busts, but has flashed so far and metrics, talent & situation make him worth (to me) more than any of assets given up. Shaheen and Lasley also have plenty of time to develop and prove themselves and a 16 team league with deep rosters is a perfect place to stash and hold without threat or pressure to cut. Players given up all have short term to no value save Reed whose injury history makes it hard for him to ever have top value.

----

(2) Give Taylor Gabriel
Get Tre McBride

Gabriel - In-Season production spikes value to low level trade asset
McBride - FA - nil value until on a roster

Result - Loss

Why - At time McBride had an opportunity to climb open depth chart in New York but failed. Gabriel was FA at time but signed with Chicago and has become a potential flex / bye week depth. Should have held and traded in-season for 2019 3rd

----

(3) Give L. McCoy & D. Baldwin
Get D. Funchess & T. Yeldon

McCoy - quickly falling off the map due to situation - could have value revived briefly if he gets traded - ADP has dropped almost 60 spots in 1 month
Baldwin - knee injuries have left this once perennial WR2 struggling to produce could see massive value decline soon if struggles continue due to age - ADP dropped 15 points in 3 months

Funchess - while not shining is not struggling either and could reach 1st 1000 season with just a slight uptick - ypg currently at 60 - ADP has climbed 20 spots in 2 months
Yeldon - The longer Fournette is out the more his value increases - much like a James Conner - some would argue he will turn back into a pumpkin but I would say he was never a pumpkin but always a ppr value given proper opportunity. ADP already that of McCoy and likely to keep climbing if Fournette out til Week 10 as rumoured. And it is not volume only driven as he is not an RB1 in attempts (21st in carries) and barely with receptions (tied for 12).

Result - Big Win

Why - Way I see it Yeldons floor for the next few years is like a Riddick or D. Lewis - but with RB1 upside and youth (when given opportunity such as this season) and no injury history that a Lewis has or inside the tackles concern that Riddick has. Happy to hold onto him long term and grateful I didnt conclude deal early in Sept that would have sent Yeldon for what I thought was an early 2nd (but is now likely a late 2nd aka 3rd in a 12 teamer). Owners looking to move Yeldon in their leagues should hold out for a 1st. PPR RB #8. Funchess may never be a WR1 but he could easily be a WR2-3 for several years to come and that depth is very useful in a deep 16 team league. His production this year is still on pace for a typical WR3 - just not apparent due to shortened stature as only 5 games played and Carolina had bye. So basically long term I have 2 young(ish) assets with safe floor (when opportunity exists), potential upside and gave up 2 assets whose value may be kaput after 2018.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Third of the Season Trade Review(s) Part II

(4) Give W. Gallman
Get 2018 3rd

Gallman was unfortunately Tre Masoned by the arrival of Barkley - but retains some value as handcuff or hope of new start with new team - ADP has been static in high 200s so I would estimate value approx as a 4th to those wanting to move to Barkley owners.

2018 3rd - became 3.13 - traded for 2019 3rd

Result - TBD but potential win

Why - Gallmans outlook looks bleak to many and while worth a 4th is hard to actually realize. While season is still young, based on what I think is correct knowledge of rules - 2019 3rd would be 3.04 today. Worst case projection atm is likely 3.10

----

(5) Give M. Wallace
Get 3.08 & J. Strong

Wallace is on IR and career could be over - ADP in 200s but slight possibility of another year as flex depth

J. Strong - see T. McBride - another dart throw at Jets roster that missed
3.08 - R. Nall - Nall is currently on Bears practice squad - could have value boost if injury or Cohen/Howard leave but otherwise minimal. But this is why you stash these guys in leagues with deep rosters - because of the "what if" - as in what if you had Adam Thielen or Antonio Brown before they broke out.

Result - TBD but potential win

Why - Deem odds Nall can develop greater than Wallace will put up even a WR3 stretch ever again. But regardless this is a key move for all rebuilders - you need to take chances and move aging assets that you do not deem elite (like Fitzpatricks or Peterson) for whatever you can get. Maybe you miss on the draft pick - but Wallace on your IR when rebuilding is of less use than a young player who may develop. Dont worry about the odds - the odds dont matter when it comes to dart throws what matters is taking the chance - no swing no HR. A walk does nothing because your team doesnt need to score this year. ;)

And yes that is a weird messed up metaphor. ;)

-----

(6) Give E. Manning
Get B. Gabbert & 3.14

Manning - meh - only has value because starting QBs have value but no one is starting him unless they HAVE to. I dont think his value has been above 150 in QB1 leagues in the past 5 years.

B. Gabbert - hes another Josh McCown / Ryan Fitzpatrick - useful as short term depth for teams needing QBs. You wont see his ADP on DLF lol
3.14 - C. Warren - on Raiders IR but has potential as RB in future - maybe

Result - Win

Why - I dislike Manning*. Dont like owning Manning so I was happy to trade him to a team that needed a backup QB more than they needed a dart throw. I am actually "fond" of Gabbert as a Journeyman - and maybe just maybe I can turn him into something else if a team needs a short term solution at QB. Or keep him in case I do. Warren is a Raider and if he becomes a starting Raider RB - even if for just a year I'll be over the moon. Even if the odds of him being the next Arian Foster are 0.01 percent - this league allows me to stash him and see - and value to me due to personal connection is priceless.

* - for fantasy purposes have no issue with Eli Manning either as NFL QB or person.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Third of the Season Trade Review(s) Part III

(7)Give: Golden Tate
Get: M. Trubisky & 3.02

Tate - remains a WR1* and seems to be the type of WR whose skills do NOT "erode" with age (meaning he is more Anquan Boldin than Dez Bryant**) - ADP has remained in same ballpark for about a year now

M. Trubisky - starting to become a franchise QB (imo) - where he is valued compared to Tate in 12 team leagues will never actually reflect what his value is in deeper QB1 league - his value is somewhere between ADP in QB1 and SF.
3.02 - became Chase Edmonds - like K. Ballage is a guy with PPR potential that will either simmer or erode depending on how things play out this season.

Result - Win

Why - While I could have waited to see if I could move Tate in-season - the bad offers I've been getting for Landry (from multiple owners) - who is basically a younger version of Tate - suggest that the return would not have been much. However what I do have - and go back 8-10 pages for a more in-depth discussion there - is a QB I can feel confident will be a starting QB (barring unforeseen circumstances) for the next several years. Maybe he is never a Brady or Brees - but Ryan, Dalton and Rivers have shown that a low end QB1 high end QB2 can be plug and play.

------

(8) Give 1.07
Get 1.10, 2.10, 2019 2nd

1.07 was traded for 1.04 which became N. Chubb - which is a win for that owner imho - 1.07 became S. Michel which I think became a win for that owner as well - so basically this is a trade that was a win/win trade that begat another win/win deal.
1.10 - C. Kirk - So far so good - he has past chemistry and history with J. Rosen - and hopefully that will develop in the NFL to a Brees/Thomas, Watson/Hopkins, Rodgers/Adams type duo one day.

Result - Win with regrets

Why - Had I know I could move up to 1.04 I would have paid more than what 1.04 got and acquired Chubb - however as I would have taken Kirk at 1.07 if push came to shove, getting extra assets that allowed me to also get James Washington is more than adequate consolation. Basically like I said it became a win/win/win

And let that be important to all of you - a trade can be a door that opens more trades that helps more teams. I also like that the owner that got Chubb had a plan, executed that plan, and was not afraid to pay what they had to pay to get the guy they wanted. I respect that.

-----

(9) Give 2.09 and 2019 2nd
Get 2.01

This deal has been adequately covered in previous trade comments. All I will add is that James Washington was my #1 WR from a personal perspective, while Christian Kirk was my #1 WR on my board. IE Washington is one of "my boys" that having on my roster makes me "happy" regardless of what they do. Whereas C. Kirk was the WR I felt had the best combination of safe floor and good upside.

So this trade was a Win because it netted me James Washington regardless of cost.

-----

(10) Give 2.10
Get L. Carroo and 3.04

2.10 became A. Callaway
3.04 became J. Jackson

Result - Loss but Win

Why - Carroo is one of "my boys" so even if Callaway is the winner in terms of current value - owning Carroo in itself was a win for me. It is a shame he is on a practice squad - but the fact that Miami hasnt totally given up on him, and his youth gives me hope he could surprise one day. Jackson may or may not become a useful RB in the NFL - but some experts remain quite positive on him, and the fact that the Chargers brought him back to the active roster as soon as he was fully healthy was a postiive sign as well.

-------

(11) Give 3.13
get 2019 3rd

See previous comments on earlier trade

------

* - Despite what I may have said about players values in previous 2 posts - I personally wish that

(a) Wallace was not on IR
(b) McCoy was at least a high end RB2
(c) Baldwin was producing
(d) etc etc etc

When I said win I do not mean "Yes I win my trade partner loses". What I mean is I won because my team got better as a result of that trade. That is what I want for the end result of any trade I make for my side.

I have no desire or wish for my trade partners to "lose". What I want is for both sides to (a) be happy with the deal at the time and (b) benefit from the deal for whatever term seems to fit - ie if you buy a player with short term production I hope that player produces for you when you need his production. I want happy trade partners because I want good trade relationships and open doors to future mutual beneficial deals.

What I want are Win-Win deals. Win-Lose deals happen - but not because I make my offers or accept offers with that intention.

Anyone can trade a J. Ajayi and a J. Crowder for a Todd Gurley if their opponent is naive enough. There is no satisfaction, for me, in taking advantage of another owner.

What I do get satisfaction is from my hunches, guesses, and attachments to players being right. It is also from being able to turn around a mediocre to horrible roster and have a team that can compete - even if it takes 2-3 years (patience is a virtue). And neither is really possible without being able to trade and you cannot trade if you constantly try, or appear to try to bamboozle your trade partners. So I rather give an owner what I hope they feel works, and bet my side will work out for me.

And usually it does, more times than not. Meanwhile in league after league I watch the owners that try the "trade fleecing" and they continue to struggle - because most owners are not idiots and most owners will stop trading with you once you show no interest in doing anything but getting the best deal for yourself.

** - I use this an example because it is easy to understand and many owners feel that Dez Bryant has lost his skills. Personally I think the book is not closed - but we may never know if Bryant never gets back on the field.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:33 pm

DLF HOF Week VI Matchups

sloth8u vs. auggiedoggies

a sloth8u could be just what the doctor ordered for auggiedoggies - who have a respectable 7 VPs despite being 1-4. Considering how slow it takes sloths team to get started don't be surprised if they do not realize Golladay is on bye before 2020. ;)

thebeast vs. TitusYoungsLawyer

Going into the 2nd part of the season we have an idea of who the elite teams are by now - what we need to figure out now is who are the contenders and pretenders - this match could help solve that dilemma.

Seventy5 vs. maxhyde

With their QB on bye - the question is not whether maxhyde will lose - but by how much against S5. If they are lucky they can still nab a VP.

knotts4372 vs. Plank

Despite a 3-2 record knotts does not have the VP to make the playoffs atm, and their road there just got harder with a matchup against Plank.

ericanadian vs. Dookmariot

Despite ericanadians use of a 3 TE set it is unlikely that the score will be that 'tight' - expect Dook to get help from his Cousins for the win.

DLF_JaronF vs. nation31

Another matchup of maybe playoff hopefuls - which one wants it more? Based on VPs DLF_JaronF 'needs' it more.

Jules vs. JFever

Although both teams are Niners (9 VP each), neither of them are 49ers fans. This matchup is likely to have the least significance on the playoff race this week as a result.

steeveb vs. ArrylT

Last week ArrylT got their first ever VP - can this week be the week they get their first ever win? steeveb has scored more than 100 points more than them so it wont be easy but while their lineup is stronger and deeper than ArrylTs nothing about it screams scary either. Unless Freeman is back to the Freeman of 15/16 and then all bets are off.