HOF league discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: HOF league discussion

Postby jeffster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:37 pm

ericanadian wrote:
dlf_jeffl wrote:Interestingly, all four divisions now have the same records. One 2-0 team, one 0-2 team, and two 1-1 teams. Odds of it lasting into week three are slim.

On another note, I went 2-0 in the two weeks LBell was on my bench. LBell time!
We all played within our divisions so far. Seems reasonable that the records would be similar.
Seems more likely at least one division would have all four teams at 1-1, or two teams at 2-0. But as I said, it will really be unusual if it lasts into week 3.

nation31
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby nation31 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Let's just say my team is no where close to what I envisioned during the start up. I have been hit hard by injuries (Romo, KB, Ellington) and Blackmon being stupid. I was not sure what my team was coming into the year but thought I may have been competitive to say the least.

Romo, Hoyer
Ellington, Gurley, Blount, DeAngelo, Sproles
Cobb, KB, Gordon, Blackmon, Boldin, M Wilson
Ertz, Miller
3 firsts in 2016

Somehow I squeaked a win out of week 1 against Jules (who I consider in the top 5 teams in the league). Now I sit in the position with no starting QB; I do not know what to do. I could make a move, and have had the offers to some big name QB; but the deals just do not fit into the long term plans of my team. There is absolutely nothing on the waiver wire; as somehow I missed out on Weeden this morning (forgot what day it was I suppose)--there is only 4 QB available on the WW total! Insane. I have been rolling out disgusting starting lineups and it is about to get worse (without Romo). I am pretty much at a loss for words. Saying that-anyone wants to deal, let me know.

auggiedoggies
Legend
Legend

Postby auggiedoggies » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm pretty happy with my team so far, although Cooks playing poorly has hurt me. But, having Edelman/Fitz/Kelce go bonkers has helped. Hopefully when Martavis returns he can provide a bit of a boost.

I didn't really have a strategy in the draft, but I liked trading back. Looking back on it, I really had some terrible picks (Cooks over J Mat, Mason over Hyde) but i still like my team, and think I can contend this year and in the future
In Zimmer We Trust
2014 DLF Charter League Champion
Inaugural DLF HOF League Champion

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:10 pm

eeeeked out a win week 2 but only slightly. my team looks just poop without dez and guys like gore/andre johnson just arent doing anything. at least my qb spot is doing pretty darn good with staff and my boy mariota so there is that
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:37 am

nation31 wrote:Hoyer
just give Bill O'Brien another week or two, you'll probably have a starting QB again.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 am

I'm not going to enter the discussion with a run down of my team as I don't think anyone really cares about that. However, the most interesting thing I've found about this league is that no one is willing to forgo even the slightest amount of value. Even minimal deals aren't being completed due tiny pieces. It's literally like I'm trying to trade against a mirror image of myself everywhere I turn. The deals that I'm seeing being offered (and offering for the most part) seem fair on the surface, but each deal is slightly skewed in one direction and no one is willing to bite either way. This is dramatically different than what I'm seeing in the Premium league - I feel like the premium league owners are willing to take shots as it's a low investment league, but the HOF might as well be a $10,000 buy in league. All though only post count was the requirement for entering the HOF league I think typically the owners have been in the dynasty game longer than most on this site, were early adopters of this site, and we each want to prove that we have the skill to backup up all our talk. No one wants to make even the tiniest mistake so no trades are happening. I would bet if you looked at all the other leagues we all play in you would find a lot of what would be considered stacked teams that were built through opportunistic trading and patience.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:29 am

i will echo that aswell beast. i get the sense that unless im offering a top 5 rookie pick for someone....i might aswell just not bother offering anything. im guessing that will change as teams have direction, but some of the responses ive gotten are a bit laughable. by no means is anyone ever obligated to trade anyone from their team, but to say that you would rather have them retire on your team than give them away for that....hmm. i cant speak to all offers or every owner, but it would seem like everyone is feeling their way around on tip toes. i will point to my initial post....fair and instant accpets are not even being considered right now in the league and i can say...that i honestly dont know that i would accept either right now. when i see how others are putting a premium on flier's...it makes me feel as if i better do the same or i will be caught behind the ball.

its going to be a fun and intersting few years here. something eventually has to give or its going to be a pretty dull league in terms of overall player movement. we may be in a situation where owners are stuck building through the drafts.

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 am

Wow, didn't realize that you guys haven't had a deal in almost 4 months. I do think that some of it is the collective group think. By definition, you are a group of people that have posted a lot on these boards. Which means that you've read a lot on these boards. So you understandably view guys very similarly. I noticed this a lot during rookie drafts when looking at how various sites ranked David and Duke Johnson, Ajayi and Cobb. The sites had very different views on the guys but the viewpoints were much more consistent among staffers of each site.

BTW, for the record, we've got a fairly strong collection of owners over at the minor leagues. Post count does not necessarily correlate with skill.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:15 pm

I wasn't trying to insinuate that it equates to skill, but it may equate more often than not to experience (in terms of time in).
Last edited by thebeast on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DDT
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DDT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Agreed. The more time put into the game generally equates to better results.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:34 pm

I am not sure I am seeing much in the way of offers at all.

I think I have made about 3 offers...maybe 4 and have been offered maybe 5 or 6 and none gave me any hesitation before rejecting. Definitely nothing that I thought was a genuine effort to obtain a player. Maybe some people are seeing more offers stream in but I am not seeing many and the ones I have seen seem more exploratory than actual attempts to obtain players. Seems like owners are content to hold true to their drafted guys which makes sense as experienced owners might be patient and the season is 2 weeks old. Contenders still think they are contenders and pretenders don't yet know they were pretending.
I would imagine as week 4 rolls by and their is some separation created there might be more activity. I echo thebeast's sentiment that probably most are not trading to trade and change things up but to build their team the way they likely do in most of their leagues.
I am probably one of the owners that sloth8u refers to with the "retire on my team". Not sure I was the one that said that but I do manage my teams like that. Some guys I drafted on the value decline and understood they were going to be worth more more in my lineup that as a trade asset. I figure guys like Lynch and Brees give me a shot to win this year and next year (although that hasn't been the case early). So even if it looks like I might not be in a playoff race this year I probably won't dump those guys unless it is a deal I really like.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Personally, I got universally ripped for the first big deal I made. I doubt many would admit it, but the additional scrutiny is probably making people less interested in making deals that might be viewed as skewed against them.

I'm interested in moving a QB or two, but since I'm more looking to move an asset rather than trying to acquire something specific, I'm not in any particular hurry to sell. I think we have more sellers than buyers at this point. Not really enough time for injuries to cripple anyone and no one's pulled ahead, so no one has to catch up.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:15 pm

ericanadian wrote:Personally, I got universally ripped for the first big deal I made. I doubt many would admit it, but the additional scrutiny is probably making people less interested in making deals that might be viewed as skewed against them.

I'm interested in moving a QB or two, but since I'm more looking to move an asset rather than trying to acquire something specific, I'm not in any particular hurry to sell. I think we have more sellers than buyers at this point. Not really enough time for injuries to cripple anyone and no one's pulled ahead, so no one has to catch up.
Which deal did you get ripped on?
I might trade for a QB. I will send an offer
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Trading Sammy, 2nd & 3rd for Hilton, M. Jones & Dyer.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Romo's injury was actually a remarkable stroke of luck for me. He's expected to be out JUST through Manning's bye week, and I already had Cassel. Spent heavy on Wheeden and won him.

Obviously no one WANTS to be starting Wheeden/Cassel, but they're a far cry better than Manning on his bye week.

I've also noticed the low trade volume, and I think it makes perfect sense. In my other leagues, I usually make trades either because I feel I have a knowledge advantage, or I have excess depth somewhere. In this league I'm fairly sure none of us can rely on a knowledge advantage, and being a deep 16-team startup, no one has excess depth anywhere.

We traded a ton in the startup, because people were implementing strategies. I would be surprised if we abandoned that so quickly. I do expect it will open up as the contenders separate from the pack though, as others have said.