Penny will lead in touches in a committee
52%

Total votes: 94

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: So you're telling me there's a chance! Chris Carson Edition

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am

I was one of the 7 who voted that way. :)

I do not think Carson or Rawls are long term 3 down backs or feature backs but I do agree with _yeti that they could have short term production (at any given time) and actual NFL roles.

So it all depends on what you are looking for them, and what the cost is to acquire them. If you need RB depth and feel a Carson/Rawls back can earn solid playing time even briefly - and the cost to acquire them makes sense to you - then by all means add them to your roster.

What works for a 10 team 20 man roster league will obviously differ from a 16 team 30 man roster league.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm Seems to me Seattle always wants to blame the RBs first and foremost when they struggle to be consistent behind their awful O-line (Carroll's staff seems to be in denial regarding their O-line talent evaluation). If Penny struggles too, I wonder how long his leash will be.
While the talent may or may not be terrible across the line, I'm a big believer in Cable's scheme being partly to blame (and he, by the way had input on which linemen were selected by the team). His departure and Solari's insertion as the o-line coach has me hopeful that we'll see improvement from that unit. Sometimes it's the scheme, sometimes it's personnel, sometimes it's a combination of the two that yield poor results. But based on Penny's draft capital, I'd assume he'd get at least through the 2019 season without the team investing anything significant at the RB position. Too many holes to fill in the defense unfortunately.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm just gonna leave this right here
Seattle Seahawks RB Chris Carson has been "the most impressive of any running back (in the team's offseason practices) this summer", and general manager John Schneider has said that at times Carson looks like the best player on the field, according to ESPN's Brady Henderson.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Coach speak. GM speak. I read that stuff year after year. Don’t care.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:05 pm

MEuRaH wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm Coach speak. GM speak. I read that stuff year after year. Don’t care.
That's why I addressed it in the original post with the notable factor that he was talked up last year all summer also, and while the depth chart may not have reflected him as the #1 on paper, he certainly was the entire time he was on the field and I was saying he was the guy to own, blasting our group chat w/ "STEAL OF THE SUMMER" over and over... Drafted him in dynasty and as a redraft stash bc I bought in to last year's later fulfilled coach speak. Last year around here it was the same old, 'coach speak praise for that nobody UDFA rookie doesnt mean anything' talk.

Also, as a result of this comment I looked at the Seahawks blurbs for the last 10 days, only one being talked up like this is Carson, for any position. Prosise is "fighting for a roster spot" according to the same blurbs. Penny is doing okay in pass pro according to the same blurbs. But ok, it's great to meet the man who knows it all.

What use is it to trust words from inside an organization because it may not be true? No instead we should blindly follow draft capital as an indicator. God forbid we have to evaluate players on a case by case basis.

And I like Penny! I have it Saquon, Guice, Penny in the class for gersh sakes

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Some guys will play too well to keep them off the field. Hopefully, Carson makes this difficult, particularly with regards to blocking.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm

DLF3000 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 am Fringe handcuff lottery ticket in case of injury, sure. We all roster guys like that just in case.

But it's the Penny show.

Could not have written it better.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm Seems to me Seattle always wants to blame the RBs first and foremost when they struggle to be consistent behind their awful O-line (Carroll's staff seems to be in denial regarding their O-line talent evaluation). If Penny struggles too, I wonder how long his leash will be.
While the talent may or may not be terrible across the line, I'm a big believer in Cable's scheme being partly to blame (and he, by the way had input on which linemen were selected by the team). His departure and Solari's insertion as the o-line coach has me hopeful that we'll see improvement from that unit. Sometimes it's the scheme, sometimes it's personnel, sometimes it's a combination of the two that yield poor results. But based on Penny's draft capital, I'd assume he'd get at least through the 2019 season without the team investing anything significant at the RB position. Too many holes to fill in the defense unfortunately.
All good points. However, Cable before his time in Seattle had notable success coaching the O-lines in Atlanta and Oakland, and he continued to be successful at it his first four years with Seattle. So I'm skeptical at the notion that the issues with Seattle's O-line the last few years are all on him -- this is a guy who had been very good at producing quality O-lines for many consecutive years. So his firing smells like scapegoating by Carroll and/or the front-office. Oakland didn't hesitate to get him back in his old role.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:33 am

Now that I own him everywhere, did people catch this?
Chris Carson predicted to be starter to open 2018 season
Bob Condatta of The Seattle Times wrote that he believes the Chris Carson was the team's best running back during OTAs and training camp and is the favorite to open the season as the team's starter. "Now healthy, Carson appeared the clear number one ending minicamp," wrote Condatta. "And if he stays healthy through training camp, I’d imagine he’ll be the starter going into the season." Condatta also added that C.J. Prosise and J.D. McKissic could factor in and that first-round rookie Rashaad Penny "could be a legitimate option as a third-down, two-minute back."
I have been watching Penny and he is my 3 behind Barkley and Guice. I just see him as a finesse back and there is going to be a need for goal-line, for getting 4 tough yards on first and 10, etc. I see Carson getting a SIGNIFICANT amount of work. I see a 1-2 punch committee of him and Penny with McKissic getting random gadget touches and Prosise being the odd man out barring injury. (McKissic has the least utility as an actual RB)

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:32 pm

ArrylT wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am I was one of the 7 who voted that way. :)
Just checked. So was I :thumbup:

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 pm

I remember this time of year when Matt Flynn was expected to start over Russell Wilson for the same coaching staff..

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 pm I remember this time of year when Matt Flynn was expected to start over Russell Wilson for the same coaching staff..
Matt Flynn was the national media darling favorite...and Russell Wilson was that damned efficient, overlooked, under-rated and under-drafted talent that just stole the job that Flynn was brought in to essentially be handed.
Now...Penny is the big off-season acquisition that the national media loves and is supposed to be handed the job, and Carson is that under-rated talent that the national media isn't paying attention to.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm

I think you are missing my point. At this time of year, it does not matter who beat writers and the like project to be starting. Yes those situations are different, but it is not uncommon at all for rookies to be taking a backseat right now.

It's not that I believe in Penny as much as it is that I do not believe in Carson.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm I think you are missing my point. At this time of year, it does not matter who beat writers and the like project to be starting. Yes those situations are different, but it is not uncommon at all for rookies to be taking a backseat right now.

It's not that I believe in Penny as much as it is that I do not believe in Carson.
I didn't miss your point. I just wanted to twist your words. :D

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Phaded wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm I think you are missing my point. At this time of year, it does not matter who beat writers and the like project to be starting. Yes those situations are different, but it is not uncommon at all for rookies to be taking a backseat right now.

First round rookie RB's have average one 250 touches over the last little while. Can't remember the exacts, but it was a good deal of data over many years, and the touches were in the 260's or above on average, I believe, so chances are Penny plays, and plays a lot.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick