D'Onta Foreman, buy him now?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: D'Onta Foreman, buy him now?

Postby SteveVolk » Sat May 27, 2017 11:49 am

I think once even an IDP draft gets into the late second round, 2.07 and on, Foreman is something of a bargain. With his mutant size-speed ratio he could be a perennial high-carry thousand yard guy if the light-bulb goes on and he learns how to use his talent to its utmost.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sat May 27, 2017 8:19 pm

TTHTD wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:13 am When a guy is going in the 3rd in some drafts and a whole bunch of people start getting excited about his potential all at once and now this same guy that was going for a 3rd cant be bought for less than a mid 1st even though he literally hasn't done anything to deserve it except show up to practice out of shape and get injured - that is about as rookie hype as it gets lol. Hope it makes sense to you eventually. Dude is worth maybe a mid 2nd imo. If he's selling for more than that it's due to rookie hype.
Some of the inflation is due to the coachspeak coming out talking about how Miller wore down and that they need to make sure they have another guy ready to help carry the load plus articles such as the Rotoviz one that had him rated pretty highly.

When you're looking at that 2nd tier of RBs that starts towards the end of the 1st round, who could you confidently say will have a better opportunity than him? Hunt and Perine maybe? The late 1st to 3rd round range makes sense depending on your preference...

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 pm

My draft was about 3 weeks ago. Didn't have any mid-round picks due to moves predraft and was trying to discipline myself to sit it out in the mid-rounds.

Long story short, mid-third he is still there (high scoring IDP though), and I traded a (likely very late) 2018 2nd and 2018 5th to take him at 3.8.

He was the 13th RB in our draft and I would put him arguably at about the 6th ranked RB in this draft for me. Also half ppr so not as worried about receiving knocks
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:50 pm

_yeti wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 pm My draft was about 3 weeks ago. Didn't have any mid-round picks due to moves predraft and was trying to discipline myself to sit it out in the mid-rounds.

Long story short, mid-third he is still there (high scoring IDP though), and I traded a (likely very late) 2018 2nd and 2018 5th to take him at 3.8.

He was the 13th RB in our draft and I would put him arguably at about the 6th ranked RB in this draft for me. Also half ppr so not as worried about receiving knocks
I ain't mad atcha! Go get your guy.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun May 28, 2017 12:04 pm

TTHTD wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:13 am
Chris_R wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am
TTHTD wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:37 am Ya'll have lost your minds lol. Now is definitely the worst time to even try to buy Foreman - I wouldn't even want to show interest in the dude yet if I wanted him. His value is propped up by rookie hype. If you want him for anything resembling reasonable wait until the season starts when people value actual production and backup RBs are priced more like backup RBs and less like future RB1s.

His hype is such that if he even has a 'justaverage preseason' it'll dent his value as people come back down to earth. Be patient, he'll deflate. This reminds me so much of Booker last season lol.
His value is inflated by rookie hype yet numerous people here already stating they got him in the 3rd round. That makes no sense.
When a guy is going in the 3rd in some drafts and a whole bunch of people start getting excited about his potential all at once and now this same guy that was going for a 3rd cant be bought for less than a mid 1st even though he literally hasn't done anything to deserve it except show up to practice out of shape and get injured - that is about as rookie hype as it gets lol. Hope it makes sense to you eventually. Dude is worth maybe a mid 2nd imo. If he's selling for more than that it's due to rookie hype.
Yea...you still don't seem to be getting it. You initially said people were out of their minds and he was getting inflated due to rookie hype in the same thread numerous people are saying he is available in the 3rd round. That literally makes no sense based off what you said. Ask yourself if Foreman was a 3rd round pick after his pro day, or better yet ask yourself if Hunt, Perine, Kamara, etc are all worth a late 1st but Foreman is worth "maybe a mid 2nd". You seem to be interjecting your opinion in this thread as some absolute fact here which is odd.

There is literally nothing over inflated about a guy with his profile and skill set from a major college going in the 3rd round. He's probably one of the better values in the draft so far.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:39 am
ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 am Foreman at 2.10 makes my head hurt.
He's gone in the 3rd round in all 3 of my leagues. All three rookie drafts were in the past 30 days.
People believe this much in Lamar Miller, huh.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun May 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Vcize wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am
ninotoreS wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:06 pm - Speaking as a former baseball player, I don't think it's implausible those balls are traveling 50~ mph. That angle also makes it look slower, I think.
Speaking as a former baseball player, you're drunk ;). Those balls were floating in there.
50 mph pitches are slow as molasses. They DO float. How do you not know this, if you've batted against knuckleballs and change-ups?

People think the thrown footballs in pro and college football are traveling faster than they actually are. One of the reasons so many good college QBs can't make it in the pros is because those balls traveling on average around 50mph (it's very hard to remain consistently accurate at the intermediate level throwing the ball any harder) can't beat pro coverage reaction times and hit the open window by the grace of velocity alone. Anticipation and 'throwing receivers open' is so important for NFL QBs exactly because the accurate passes just aren't actually traveling all that fast.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 28, 2017 6:26 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:15 am Foreman at 2.10 makes my head hurt.
He's gone in the 3rd round in all 3 of my leagues. All three rookie drafts were in the past 30 days.
Unless Miller has a season-ending injury, I don't see a scenario where Foreman is handling more work than him by the end of the season. At best, a split could happen, but it depends on Foreman improving in pass protection and receiving.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:26 pm
ninotoreS wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm
Unless Miller has a season-ending injury, I don't see a scenario where Foreman is handling more work than him by the end of the season. At best, a split could happen, but it depends on Foreman improving in pass protection and receiving.
Yeah I definitely don't see Foreman doing anything this year unless Miller tears an ACL week 1 or something.

Best case scenario, Foreman gets some heavy work for a few weeks & flashes, a la Jeremy Hill 2 years ago. Then we can have a decent little 2-3 year window with which to either sell him or use him as a flex.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:26 pm it depends on Foreman improving in pass protection and receiving
Absolutely it does.

But Houston didn't take a running-back with a Day 2 pick with the hope that he'd develop into no more than a backup.

There's plenty of evidence now that Miller just can't effectively handle true feature-back loads. Picking Foreman in the 3rd round is Houston's plainly apparent concession to this fear. He's their plan B that they're already half convinced will be necessary.

And Miller is probably being paid too much to be just a timeshare RB, so if a timeshare does develop due to Foreman developing as hoped, it will likely mean Miller's days in Houston are numbered.
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

SteveVolk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SteveVolk » Mon May 29, 2017 4:26 am

He went early enough in the NFL draft that he falls into that category of players who figure to get opportunity. When I got him at 2.12, he was the 10th running back off the board, after the usual six plus Jamal Williams, Joe Williams and James Conner (to the Bell owner). He was a bargain at that price.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm Absolutely it does.

But Houston didn't take a running-back with a Day 2 pick with the hope that he'd develop into no more than a backup.

There's plenty of evidence now that Miller just can't effectively handle true feature-back loads. Picking Foreman in the 3rd round is Houston's plainly apparent concession to this fear. He's their plan B that they're already half convinced will be necessary.

And Miller is probably being paid too much to be just a timeshare RB, so if a timeshare does develop due to Foreman developing as hoped, it will likely mean Miller's days in Houston are numbered.
I agree that Houston likely wants Foreman to become their starter at some point. Teams don't spend 3rd round picks on RB's without that hope. However, Foreman still has to confirm their belief. If Foreman doesn't play well and Miller is similar to his previous production, they're not going to cut Miller.

It's like the DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry combination. Sure, Henry should be the starter in 2018, when the Titans can cut Murray for nothing. But, there's a possibility that if Murray duplicates his production, they'll restructure his contract and keep him another year.

None of this would keep me from taking Foreman high in a draft. I'm a firm believer in taking the best talent and letting everything take care of itself. But, we've seen opportunity and situation influence a lot of rookie drafts.

forrestmoons
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby forrestmoons » Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 am

He's definitely a 2nd round pick for me. He's sort of a one-dimensional player, but is already a better between-the-tackles runner than Lamar Miller, who we know is mediocre at this point.
10 Team, Standard Scoring, 2 Flex
QB: Mariota, Tannehill, Goff
RB: Montgomery, Dixon, Abdullah, Perkins, Prosise,
WR: Hopkins, Thomas (NO), Coleman, Moncrief, Parker, Snead, Britt, Lockett, Mitchell
TE: Ebron, Ertz, Fiedorowicz
D/ST: New England
K: Hopkins
Rookies: Mixon, Mack, Godwin, Golladay, C. Williams

12 team, PPR, 2 Flex
QB: Mariota, Tannehill
RB: T. West, J. Hill, Riddick, Montgomery, Richard, Zenner
WR: Thomas (DEN), Thomas (NO), Wallace, T. Williams (LAC), Woods, Moncrief, Stills, A. Wilson
TE: Hooper, Allen, Swoope
K: Bailey
DEF: MIN, JAX
Rookies: Njoku, McNichols, Godwin, Taylor, C. Williams, A. Jones, Kittle, Breida, Malone

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon May 29, 2017 9:02 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 am
ninotoreS wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm Absolutely it does.

I agree that Houston likely wants Foreman to become their starter at some point. Teams don't spend 3rd round picks on RB's without that hope. However, Foreman still has to confirm their belief. If Foreman doesn't play well and Miller is similar to his previous production, they're not going to cut Miller.

It's like the DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry combination. Sure, Henry should be the starter in 2018, when the Titans can cut Murray for nothing. But, there's a possibility that if Murray duplicates his production, they'll restructure his contract and keep him another year.

None of this would keep me from taking Foreman high in a draft. I'm a firm believer in taking the best talent and letting everything take care of itself. But, we've seen opportunity and situation influence a lot of rookie drafts.
I think the difference between those situations is Miller hasn't shown he could be efficiently productive on a high volume of touches, whereas Murray has. Miller also didn't score many td's whereas Murray has. So there's a bit more of an opening for Foreman to get more touches and goalline looks than Henry had with Murray.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 am

ninotoreS wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 6:22 pm
Vcize wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am
ninotoreS wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:06 pm - Speaking as a former baseball player, I don't think it's implausible those balls are traveling 50~ mph. That angle also makes it look slower, I think.
Speaking as a former baseball player, you're drunk ;). Those balls were floating in there.
50 mph pitches are slow as molasses. They DO float. How do you not know this, if you've batted against knuckleballs and change-ups?

People think the thrown footballs in pro and college football are traveling faster than they actually are. One of the reasons so many good college QBs can't make it in the pros is because those balls traveling on average around 50mph (it's very hard to remain consistently accurate at the intermediate level throwing the ball any harder) can't beat pro coverage reaction times and hit the open window by the grace of velocity alone. Anticipation and 'throwing receivers open' is so important for NFL QBs exactly because the accurate passes just aren't actually traveling all that fast.
I'm not really sure what point you're making there, but I was a catcher on the baseball team and quarterback of the football team in high school so I have plenty of experience with measured throwing velocity. The passes in that video are the kind you throw to your girlfriend when you're at the park.

Not saying that to bash Foreman in any way (DD may be the only person on this forum higher on him than me, I literally acquired him in every dynasty league I play in), just as a matter of reality.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert