Language in Trade Agreements?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Champ224
Captain
Captain

Language in Trade Agreements?

Postby Champ224 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:52 pm

Hey Guys,

I looking for some clarification in a recent trade in which the terms were vaguely stated and possibly get some ammunition for argument. I'm not going to state names, just the terms of the deal and how our draft is conducted.

Our league has 12 teams and the bottom 6 (teams out of the playoffs) have lottery odds, which are determined on draft day to select the draft order. The worst team has the best odds to achieve the 1st pick and 2nd worst team has the 2nd best odds etc. The trade I agreed to allowed me to obtain the rights to a pick from a team with lottery odds contingent upon the following language:

"Team A will trade their 1st round pick to Team B if it does not result in being able to draft Andrew Luck"

I agreed to the language with the understanding that once Luck is off the board when the pick comes up where ever it falls (1-6) the trade would take place.

My question to the language is: Does it allow for either of the teams to trade pieces, most importantly does it allow for team A to attempt to trade up to a top pick to draft Luck and thus void the previous agreement?

How would you guys look at it?

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by Champ224 on Tue May 08, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rangerdave
MVP
MVP

Re: Language in Trade Agreements?

Postby rangerdave » Tue May 08, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't believe that you should allow trading picks that are part of a previous conditional trade.
Sick of your posts going unanswered and your threads hijacked? Join us at DynastyHaven.com for Dynasty Fantasy Football Without the Drama.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed May 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Could you list the complete trade, along with this wording? thanks.

-oo-

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

rangerdave wrote:I don't believe that you should allow trading picks that are part of a previous conditional trade.
This is a very good point. Who owns the pick while it hasn't been determined whether or not Andrew Luck will be available? What does team B get if they don't get the pick? Just screwed out of whatever they gave up?

To me this is not an executed trade and should not be binding in any way. It is an agreement to a trade in principle so if team A wants to pursue other trades they should be able to.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League