Denver Fan Finally Admits McD is an Idiot

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Denver Fan Finally Admits McD is an Idiot

Postby BeRanDone » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Not sure where this post fits, so I'll put it here. I stood up for McD and went to bat for him while he was Denver’s coach, and even after he was fired I only placed some blame on him. What I just read is the last straw for me.

Backstory: Vinny Cerrato was the GM of the Redskins most of the 2000’s. The article on NFL.com was centered around how Cerrato was set to trade up into the 2nd to draft LeSean McCoy, but his RB coach told him he didn’t want McCoy so he didn’t (DOH!). Then he goes onto to talk about an opposite encounter…with Denver…
All of Cerrato's stories are well worth a read, but he wasn't always the victim of bad luck. He recalls trying to trade up for Brian Orkapo.

"Denver’s on the clock the pick before us, and I called them. How about this, I offer them a third-round pick to swap, and they called me back and they said No, you’re gonna get your guy, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to trade. How about that one? [Laughter.]," Cerrato said.
HE DIDN’T TAKE A FREE 3RD ROUND PICK KNOWING THEY DIDN’T WANT ORAKPO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Come the f*ck on!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides this, they should have taken Orakpo at that spot and then gotten Knowshon later at 18 (we had 2 1st’s in 2009).

Nfl.com article if you're interested - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Denver Fan Finally Admits McD is an Idiot

Postby melish1631 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 am

Classic...I forwarded to a Broncos fan, he was a defender of McDaniels too!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 am

Couldn't McD argue that Washington was actually going after the same guy they were though, even if they said differently??? If that was indeed the Moreno pick, he was highly touted at the time, so maybe he felt WAS may come in and draft Moreno right in front of him. Many felt Moreno was going to be a star back back then, actually not that much different at the time from what they think of Richardson now
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 am

Shawn wrote:Couldn't McD argue that Washington was actually going after the same guy they were though, even if they said differently??? If that was indeed the Moreno pick, he was highly touted at the time, so maybe he felt WAS may come in and draft Moreno right in front of him. Many felt Moreno was going to be a star back back then, actually not that much different at the time from what they think of Richardson now
The way I interpreted it, DEN and WAS were using actual player names (we want Orakpo) so there shouldn't have been any confusion around whether they wanted Moreno or not from that standpoint. However, you could say that WAS could have been leading Denver one way in talks, only to turn around and take Moreno. Real life GMs don't work like that though because you can burn bridges fast that way in the league.

Also, even if WAS wanted Moreno - was Moreno really that much higher on DEN's board than Orakpo (or any other player projected to be there) that an extra 3rd didn't matter?! I think that's the most telling aspect.

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 am

Listen, I'm all for viewing McD as an idiot, but is this really his fault? Isn't it the GM's decision to make trades, and wouldn't it be him (or someone else in the front office) telling the skins to hold back, you don't need to trade? I think coaches get far to much credit and blame for the success and failures of a team, and really don't think you can pin this one on McD unless they called him out specifically by name.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:40 am

RobertBobson wrote:Listen, I'm all for viewing McD as an idiot, but is this really his fault? Isn't it the GM's decision to make trades, and wouldn't it be him (or someone else in the front office) telling the skins to hold back, you don't need to trade? I think coaches get far to much credit and blame for the success and failures of a team, and really don't think you can pin this one on McD unless they called him out specifically by name.
Well in this case, Denver officially had a GM, but McD was the one calling the shots and the GM (Brian Xanders) was pretty much a yes-man for McDaniels, kinda like when Mangini ran the Browns as Head Coach, he had a yes-man GM.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 am

Well, if Denver really gave over personnel decisions to an unproven young head coach, they deserved what they got. The blame should go on the GM/ownership for handing over that much power to McD. You can't blame a Bear for mauling you.. A Bear gonna Bear. But you can blame the zookeeper for putting the Bear in the petting zoo.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Shawn wrote:
RobertBobson wrote:Listen, I'm all for viewing McD as an idiot, but is this really his fault? Isn't it the GM's decision to make trades, and wouldn't it be him (or someone else in the front office) telling the skins to hold back, you don't need to trade? I think coaches get far to much credit and blame for the success and failures of a team, and really don't think you can pin this one on McD unless they called him out specifically by name.
Well in this case, Denver officially had a GM, but McD was the one calling the shots and the GM (Brian Xanders) was pretty much a yes-man for McDaniels, kinda like when Mangini ran the Browns as Head Coach, he had a yes-man GM.
Thanks Shawn, you're well versed in this topic. :)

The team ownership admitted that they made a mistake by giving McDaniels that much power during his first stop as a HC, but they realized that and changed the model with the hire of Elway as the VP of Football Ops.

Biggcmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Biggcmo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:41 am

I liked hom as a coach, but his personnel decisions were just DUMB and set the broncos back a few years. i was convinced that mcD was an idiot when he traded the next years 1st ( which seatle used to get earl thomas) to move up in the 2nd round to draft Alphonso Smith !!!!
2010 Gridiron Dynasty Football Classic 3 Champ!!

Twitter: @Bossmancmo

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 am

Biggcmo wrote:I liked hom as a coach, but his personnel decisions were just DUMB and set the broncos back a few years. i was convinced that mcD was an idiot when he traded the next years 1st ( which seatle used to get earl thomas) to move up in the 2nd round to draft Alphonso Smith !!!!
They had some reasoning for this trade that I believed that made it seem not so bad (mostly financial reasons), but looking back on it - it was definitely a terrible call.