Jerome Simpson - Marijuana legalization debate :)

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Jerome Simpson - Marijuana legalization debate :)

Postby general mills » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:37 am

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Free agent WR Jerome Simpson is visiting the Vikings on Saturday.
Yes, he's active on 4/20. Simpson has the speed and ridiculous athleticism the Vikings are sorely missing outside the numbers. The Rams and a couple of other teams reportedly remain interested in Simpson as well. He could be a fallback option for teams that fail to pick up an impact receiver in the draft.
Rotoworld

:lol:

AK49
Captain
Captain

Postby AK49 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Vikings agreed to terms with WR Jerome Simpson, formerly of the Bengals, on a one-year contract.
-rotoworld

hmmm I'd take him for a $1 in my 16 team league. I think he is worth a stash. Minn is WR depleted. He could see plenty of targets once he gets out of jail/suspension. But since we are making dynasty decisions a 4 game suspension is not that big of a detriment.
12 Team PPR TE Premium
(1) QB Stafford, Cutler
(1-3)RB: CJ Spiller, F Jax, Mathews, Latavius
(2-4)WR: AJ Green, C. Patterson, Alshon Jeffery, M. Floyd, J. Blackmon, M. Wheaton, M. Brown
(0-2)TE: Julius Thomas, Ladarius Green, K. Rudolph

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

BradyT wrote:So why isn´t alcohol illegal? Marijuana isn´t any worse. As a matter of fact, alcohol can actually be looked at the worse of the two, as it wears down the body and brain way quicker(not talking the immediate effect of both). If anything, making a difference between both really doesn´t make any sense. well.. I dont take either, which of course would be the optimal way for everybody, but if you let people drink alcohol, there´s no justification for not allowing people to smoke the green stuff(which btw also isn´t as bad to the body as normal tobacco, from a health point of view).
Money.

Alcohol is generally easier to regulate & monitor sale/consumption. Thus the government can pretty much tax it to death and not face competition in the "market". It is still illegal to be a "moonshiner". FDA regulation, etc. Even selling fresh cow milk straight off the farm is illegal in many states.

There is also a lot more money to be made by keeping marijuana illegal. It is much more difficult to regulate with such a large "black market" for it and every drug. Legalization would eliminate the "need" for the drug war and the massive funding of it. There would also be great difficulty in trying to tax it. There are surely other issues at play related to financial interests as well.

Prescription drugs are regulated and "legal" for the same reason as alcohol...regulation of sale/consumption. You have to get permission from a doctor (and inherently the government since all doctors must be state-licensed) to get them.

These issues have nothing to do with the what these products do and has everything to do with the other "green stuff".
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Wallace's Warriors
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wallace's Warriors » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 pm

BradyT wrote:So why isn´t alcohol illegal? Marijuana isn´t any worse. As a matter of fact, alcohol can actually be looked at the worse of the two, as it wears down the body and brain way quicker(not talking the immediate effect of both). If anything, making a difference between both really doesn´t make any sense. well.. I dont take either, which of course would be the optimal way for everybody, but if you let people drink alcohol, there´s no justification for not allowing people to smoke the green stuff(which btw also isn´t as bad to the body as normal tobacco, from a health point of view).
It has to do with the fact that some are already legal and some aren't. I'm sure if the government could they would ban smoking but you can't because it is already legal. Back when they banned alcohol it didn't work good because there was a backlash. The problem is once they legalize something it is extremely difficult to ban it. So if they legalize something and ten years from now 50% of the US was using it and then they find out it causes cancer even if only 5% of the US continues using it they won't be able to ever get rid of it. That is one of the problems with legalizing any sort of drugs.
16 team, No-PPR, 6 pt passing tds
QB: Brady, Schuab, Tannehill
RB: Forte, Charles, Martin, Redman, Carter,R. Jennings, M. Bush, Vereen
WR: Britt, Little, Brown, Wright, Kerley, Sanders, Broyles
TE: Dickson, Cook
K: Zuerlien
DEF: Philidelphia
2013: 2 1sts, 2 2nd
2014: 5 1sts, 1 2nd

Madtoker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madtoker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 am

Wallace's Warriors wrote:
It has to do with the fact that some are already legal and some aren't. I'm sure if the government could they would ban smoking but you can't because it is already legal. Back when they banned alcohol it didn't work good because there was a backlash. The problem is once they legalize something it is extremely difficult to ban it. So if they legalize something and ten years from now 50% of the US was using it and then they find out it causes cancer even if only 5% of the US continues using it they won't be able to ever get rid of it. That is one of the problems with legalizing any sort of drugs.
But when you listen to these commercials for drugs it causes 15 more problems than what you had. I might have hair growing back, but I'll have a discharge, can't get it up, and could cause a heart attack. :wtf:

RobertBobson
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby RobertBobson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Wallace's Warriors wrote: It has to do with the fact that some are already legal and some aren't. I'm sure if the government could they would ban smoking but you can't because it is already legal. Back when they banned alcohol it didn't work good because there was a backlash. The problem is once they legalize something it is extremely difficult to ban it. So if they legalize something and ten years from now 50% of the US was using it and then they find out it causes cancer even if only 5% of the US continues using it they won't be able to ever get rid of it. That is one of the problems with legalizing any sort of drugs.
It wasn't just that. It became illegal largely because of racist yellow journalism, sensationalizing marijuana use among blacks and latinos.. scaring the public with tales that reefer was fueling all kinds of crime waves and rapes, playing to racial fears in the basest sort of way. It's stayed illegal largely because of what skip said, that there's more money supporting keeping it illegal than there is in making it legal. It doesn't help that habitual pot smoking and frequent negatively correlate, so there's not much pressure on politicians to go against the anti-drug lobby.
12 team 1 ppr 6 pt all tds
1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 rb/wr 1 te 1k
qb Ryan, Vick, nassib, Barkley
RB DMC, Gore, Sporles, Stacy, Hillman, Moreno,
WR aj green,welker, Britt, Blackmon, DeMary
TE Davis, Cook, Housler, Allen